GUILTY CO - Bobbie Oberholtzer, 29, & Annette Schnee, 21, killed, Breckenridge, 3 July 1982 *arrest in 2021

Indianagirl

Reaction score
I watched a rerun of Unsolved Mysteries not long ago about the murders of Bobbie Oberholtzer and Annette Kay Schnee that took place in Breckenridge, Colorado in early January 1982. The case, I thought, was very interesting seeing that both women dissapeared on the same night (actually within ours of each other) in Breckenridge, both women had been hitch-hiking home, both were taken out into the woods and shot in the back as they were running away from their killer, and strangely, both of their bodies were found with an orange sock on or nearby. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or opinions about this case? I really want to see it solved. I have attached some links to information regarding this case. I have also attached a link to the Unsolved mysteries episode on Youtube. There are 2 parts.

http://www.rockymountaincoldcase.com/schnee.html

http://www.rockymountaincoldcase.com/oberholtzer.html

http://blogs.denverpost.com/coldcas...itchhikers-shot-and-dumped-near-breckenridge/

UNSOLVED MYSTERIES LINK ON YOUTUBE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVU6S0DsvXM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HNcytfJuAQ&feature=related

You probably read the same book I did, "Monster" about Thomas Luther. He was a suspect but DNA from one of the victims gloves has ruled him out.

Not that I'm aware of. They never mentioned that pic on the Unsolved Mysteries episode. I just stumbled upon it like you did on that website.

I live not to far from Hoosier pass. Every time we drive over the pass to go boarding in Breck I think of both girls. My daughter will be going to school in Breck next year. It distubs me to think that person could still be out there.

I saw the photo of the unidentifed man ,and it looks as though in the photo he is either wearing a hospital type uniform shirt or a prison shirt. Could those Orange socks. be hospital type booties that the give to people who go to the hospital.

The article never said why Annette was filling a script or where she got the script from so anything from B/C to a visit from the ER could be a reason she was filling it.

If the suspected serial killer was using his victims I.D and that photo could be of another victim he shoved in the back pack and it looks like it was part of an ID that was cut from some reason.

To bad they dont have a release of ALL records after a case is unsolved for 20 years. After 20 years if it is not solved by then ,everyone should be able to see everything on the case.

I have wondered about the orange socks ever since I saw the "Sensing Murder" episode that dealt with this case. I wonder if there is not another victim that has yet to be connected. The reason is that Annette Schnee was found wearing a striped sock and boot and an orange sock. It would seem that the striped sock may been part of what she was originally wearing. My thought process is that the orange socks where in the vehicle when she was picked up. If there was a rape or attempted rape she may have been trying to find her sock and other boot and put on the orange sock by mistake. Possibly when she got out of the vehicle, probably thinking she would be let go, she sees the matching striped sock on the floor of the vehicle and puts it in her pocket.The second sock being deposited at the spot found when Bobbie Jo gets out of the truck.

Breckenridge: two young female hitchhikers kidnapped and murdered
December 6, 2014

By Kirk Mitchell The Denver Post

A team of investigators from across Colorado would like to bring whoever was responsible to justice 32 years later.
A task force organized by the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, made up of law enforcement experts from every discipline including prosecutors, crime scene investigators, detectives and medical examiners, have recently met to brain storm ideas about how to identify, arrest and prosecute whoever is responsible, authorities announced the first week of December 2014.

[...]

Bobbie Jo Oberholtzer, 29, was reported missing on Jan. 6, 1982.

A cross-country skier found her body lying face down in a snow bank the next day, at 3 p.m. about 20 feet off Colorado 9 and about 300 feet south of the Hoosier Pass summit parking lot. A single orange sock was found nearby.

The sock was a mystery until six months later, when Annette Schnee’s body was found face-down in Sacramento Creek south of Alma, about 10 miles south of Oberholtzer’s body.

Schnee was wearing the mate to the orange sock.

(much more at the link)

Annette-Schnees-orange-bootie-found-at-Oberholtzer-crime-scene.jpg

From the previous link:

The last time Schnee was seen alive was at 4:45 p.m. at a pharmacy called “The Drug Store” in Breckenridge. That was three hours before Oberholtzer disappeared less than a mile away.

Schnee was seen talking with an unidentified woman and was heard reminding the woman to buy cigarettes, McCormick said.

The unknown woman was described by witnesses as a white female, about 5-foot-4, slender and looked as though she had been camping out for a few days. The woman smoked Marlboro cigarettes. Schnee picked up a prescription at that store.

mystery-woman.jpg

http://blogs.denverpost.com/coldcases/2014/12/06/breckenridge/9583/3/

cont.

Although Petrocelli and Luther remain suspects, most members of the 11th Judicial District homicide task force believe that someone else killed the women, likely someone who was familiar with the rural road where Schnee’s body was discovered, McCormick said.

“It’s probably someone local rather than someone just passing through,” he said.

One promising clue was discovered inside Schnee’s blue backpack, found north of Oberholtzer’s body.

It was a picture of a man who has never been identified.

unknown.jpg

Photo of man discovered in Annette Schnee’s backpack.
Photo courtesy Rocky Mountain cold case task force

Denver Post staff writer Kirk Mitchell can be reached at 303-954-1206... Mitchell’s book “The Spin Doctor” is available now from New Horizon Press.

I remember seeing this on Unsolved Mysteries and I believe a guy I went to high school with was the lawman in it. The case is also in a book I have called Murderers Among Us.

http://www.summitdaily.com/news/15726105-113/colorado-distributes-cold-case-cards-to-raise-clues-to

At the Summit County jail, inmates received several new decks of cards on Tuesday. But there’s a lot more at stake than the chips on the table. The game takes a twist as each card is revealed, with the name and photo of an unsolved homicide victim featured on the face. A few details with each case are also provided, along with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation’s number.

“We don’t know what kind of feedback we’re going to get yet,” said Summit County Sheriff John Minor. “The bigger thing is that with all of these cards going out all over the state, there’s the possibility that someone, somewhere will know about one of these crimes. We want to bring some closure to these families”...

For example, the seven of diamonds and the seven of hearts feature two women whose bodies were found south of Breckenridge in 1982. Bobbi Jo Oberholtzer was found with a gunshot wound near the summit of Hoosier Pass; Annette Schnee was found with a similar wound six months later in rural Park County. Both women were last seen hitchhiking on Jan. 6, 1982. Both cases remain unsolved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back