What was that about Patsy and acronyms?

why_nutt

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/2004/April/17/LNlist3.htm

Patsy Ramsey wants women to GOSSIP.

That is, she wants them to talk openly about ovarian cancer, referring to an acronym she created to encourage women to Get Ovarian Silent Symptoms in Public by simply talking about it.

Ramsey, a Parkersburg native and former Miss West Virginia beauty queen, spoke to nearly 300 guests who attended the Fourth Annual "Talk of the Town" luncheon and fashion show at the Guyan Golf and Country Club Friday, as part of a national effort to raise awareness about ovarian cancer. Attendees enjoyed lunch, live music, and fashions from The Village Collection modeled by cancer survivors and supporters.

Ramsey combined bits of humor with her personal battles against ovarian cancer, which kills some 16,000 women each year. Diagnosed in July of 1993, more than two years before the still-unsolved murder of her young daughter JonBenet, Ramsey meticulously described the frustration, fear, and hope she has faced with the three-time recurrence of the disease during the past 10 years, most recently in January of this year.

"Women need to pay attention to what their bodies are telling them," Ramsey said. "Talk to your doctor about your family history and understand the risk factors involved," she adds. She asked several members of her family who were attending the event to stand, referring to them as "visuals" as she talked about the prevalence of cancer throughout her own family.

So family members are now "visuals." And several members of her family have cancer (Pam? Polly?). The concept of Patsy sacrificing JonBenet because a) she was able to distance herself from her own family member and b) she foresaw JonBenet's eventual fate as a cancer victim (indicated through her famous "she'll never know cancer" statement), it all falls in line with the theory that Patsy was perhaps not able to bond with her daughter as most mentally-healthy humans do with their children.

Fleur Delacour said:
Now if only she'd tell us what SBTC meant. :waitasec:

One must arch an eyebrow at why, of all the words in the world, Patsy and John would have chosen Subtract as the secret password to their May 1st, 1997 press conference.

Patsy Ramsey has to be a pschycologists dream... She practically draws a map and walks people through the murder, with herself of course, being in the starring role.

I believe I could muster up more emotion and feelings for a long dead pet than she seems to portray about her only daughter.

why_nutt said:
One must arch an eyebrow at why, of all the words in the world, Patsy and John would have chosen Subtract as the secret password to their May 1st, 1997 press conference.

Instead of arching an eyebrow, keep a service bell handy and ring it whenever they let something slip out. Ding!

We need a "Ding!" smiley.

The longer Patsy lives and the more she talks the more she will produce items coincidental with items in the case as she has only her behavior to draw from, some of which is repressed, not under conscious control, and will leak out.

Is cancer prevalent in her family? Or is she speaking symbolically again?

"Family history", "risks involved" and "cancer" itself then refer symbolically to mental/moral pathology rather than physical pathology.

Fleur Delacour said:
Now if only she'd tell us what SBTC meant.
Patsy has no idea what, if anything, the intruder meant when he used SBTC as some sort of acronym near the signature of the purported ransom note.

ST Hardback, p. 262:

One of the first things he (Professor Donald Foster) picked up on was Patsy's habit of using acronyms and acrostics in her communications. She often signed off with her initials,PAPR, and used such phrases as "To BVFMFA from PPRBSJ", which meant "To Barbara J. Fernie, Master of Fine Arts, from Patricia Paugh Ramsey, Bachelor of Science in Journalism." That, I thought, might somehow link to the mysterious SBTC acronym on the ransom note.

A quick glance at this forum will show that a lot of posters use a variety of acronyms. Are they authors of the Ransom Note also?

Patsy is hardly the first or last person to use acronyms or acrostics. She certainly didn't invent them.

Many of us right here use them often: LOL, FWIW, FYI, FOTFLMAO, etc

People who get involved with medical or technical fields also pick up the habit. CAT scans, MRIs, etc

Not the least bit unusual and sure not unique to Patsy Ramsey.

Toth said:
Patsy has no idea what, if anything, the intruder meant when he used SBTC as some sort of acronym near the signature of the purported ransom note.

Toth I agree that Patsy may not have a clue as to what SBTC means at the end of the ransom note. When she wrote it she may have just come up with letters that sounded good to her at the time.

Lovely Pigeon many of us acronyms on the Internet and in postings but how many of us use them in writing letters? Patsy has always used acronyms in personal handwritten notes. Which is unusual in my opinion.

LovelyPigeon said:
Patsy is hardly the first or last person to use acronyms or acrostics. She certainly didn't invent them.

Many of us right here use them often: LOL, FWIW, FYI, FOTFLMAO, etc

People who get involved with medical or technical fields also pick up the habit. CAT scans, MRIs, etc

Not the least bit unusual and sure not unique to Patsy Ramsey.

Yes we sure do, don't we MVGF...In fact we made up ones just to see if the other would know what it meant....:)

I've read that Patsy "frequently" used what is referred to as acronyms in her personal letter writing. But I also always see the same examples used. I would think if she used names with initials on a frequent basis there would be a variety of examples.

Many of us use acronyms now, due to our internet use. But when JonBenet was murdered, the internet wasn't as widely used so I don't believe that is where she got the "habit." And Patsy wasn't in the military so she didn't pick it up there, either.

It is a purely Patsy affectation.

I know I nor anyone I know EVER uses them in their personal writing. Yes, Tricia, I think it just sounded good to her and she thought it would be a nice kidnapper's touch...

ST on "Good Morning America, 4/10/00:

ST: The indentation, for example, on the sign-off. "It's up to you now John," exclamation point; indented, "Victory!"; indented, "S.B.T.C." We were able to find in prior writings of Patsy, for example, how she would almost consistently sign off with the exclamation point, and then a double indented closure, to the point you could almost overlay the ransom note onto some of Patsy's previous writings, and the indentation, I found remarkable.

candy said:
ST on "Good Morning America, 4/10/00:

ST: The indentation, for example, on the sign-off. "It's up to you now John," exclamation point; indented, "Victory!"; indented, "S.B.T.C." We were able to find in prior writings of Patsy, for example, how she would almost consistently sign off with the exclamation point, and then a double indented closure, to the point you could almost overlay the ransom note onto some of Patsy's previous writings, and the indentation, I found remarkable.
Patsy strikes me as exactly the sort of person who would use exclamation points liberally. I have a close friend who is the same way and her emails are peppered with them. The ransom note has 3. One at the beginning and two at the end.

In contrast, Patsy's 1995 Christmas letter has 16. http://hellpainter.tripod.com/jbr/1995.htm

If you do an images search on google for handwritten letters you will find many, if not most, of them end with exactly the same kind of double indented closure the ransom note has. The rest of the paragraphs are indented as well. I have framed letters from Charles Dickens and Sarah Bernhardt on my kitchen wall. They also indent their paragraphs and double indent their closings.

I think this is like the Tiffany table or the "Patsy is the only person who can't be excluded" statement. Either ST failed to do his research before he jumped to a conclusion or he deliberately presented facts in a skewed way so as to reflect guilt on Patsy Ramsey.

Toth said:
A quick glance at this forum will show that a lot of posters use a variety of acronyms. Are they authors of the Ransom Note also?
Depends...Was their kid found dead in their basement?

tipper said:
I have framed letters from Charles Dickens and Sarah Bernhardt on my kitchen wall. They also indent their paragraphs and double indent their closings.
Really?! - And just how many dead kids were found in Charles and Sarah's basements?

You people are amazing how you will go to any length to not admit the obvious:

-Lotsa people use acronyms - But how many of them had a fake ransom note found in their house?

-Lotsa women know their husband's bonus amount - But how many of them had a fake ransom note found in their house?

-Lotsa people double-indent their closings - But how many of them had a fake ransom note found in their house?

-Lotsa people use the phrase "and hence" - But how many of them had a fake ransom note found in their house?

-Lotsa people use "Southern" expressions - But how many of them had a fake ransom note found in their house?

-Lotsa people switch between printed and cursive writing styles - But how many of them had a fake ransom note found in their house?

-Lotsa people use the "manuscript a" Letter - But how many of them had a fake ransom note found in their house?

-Lotsa people cross their t's and connect their e's a certain way - But how many of them had a fake ransom note found in their house?

Guess what? Sooner or later you run out of "coincidences", and "excuses. Patsy is out of both.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back