ND - Dru Sjodin, 22, Grand Forks, 22 Nov 2003 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doyle

Reaction score
Website
www.
the other thread was getting too long, and slightly off topic... I have made 2 threads, one for discussion, and for for new information...

please post new information only here.

the other thread was getting too long, and slightly off topic... I have made 2 threads, one for discussion, and for for new information...

This is a place to discuss Dru.

Originally posted by Doyle

This is a place to discuss Dru.

Good Idea Doyle.....thanks.

I just bought 6 personal alarms for Christmas present's for the girls in my family and that includes me. I was thinking, if perhaps Dru had owned one of those alarms...hung on her car's keychain (that's the kind I bought).....that she might had a moment to just pull it apart and the shricking noise and blinking light that is on this particular model would have been enough for this mad man to scare him away. (It does not sound like a car alarm)

I am now in the process of writing an article for our local newspaper about safety devices that are available to women and encourange them to buy them. They are not expensive and the type that I bought cannot be easily turned off by the predator because it had hidden disarm switch. If the predator had to find the turn-off switch that would give you time to run!

I'm not so fond of the pepper sprays as they're not something that you necessarly have at hand, and I really think that any a loud noise would a a much better deterent to anyone trying to attack you.

Just my thoughts.....j

xxxxxxxxoooooo
mama

Love Mama... I am going to get one for my daughter for walking to/from school. Thanx for the suggestion.

Please let us read your article for the Paper when you have finished it.

So what is the latest on Dru? Last I heard the offical search had been called off. Is this true?

Cass...

Thanks for the split Doyle.

Yeah Cass unfortunately they did call off the search.
It's so sad for her and her family.

I don't know if you can say it is sad, its obviously rugged country that is being searched in the dead of Winter, the river is frozen over, the days are short. It would be sad if searchers were lost unnecessarily.
It appears it was all over for Dru within two hours of her abduction.

Originally posted by Casshew
Love Mama... I am going to get one for my daughter for walking to/from school. Thanx for the suggestion.

Please let us read your article for the Paper when you have finished it.

So what is the latest on Dru? Last I heard the offical search had been called off. Is this true?

Cass...

Cass......here's a website that show's the alarm.
http://www.smartcart.com/selfdefence/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=KC45

I don't know what the shipping charges are but google the web for the best price. I bought six of them and found a place that only charge one small flat fee for shipping all of them.

NOW...this is the truth. I was thinking about you and your daugher walking through those woods! I said to myself.....I've got to talk to Cass and tell her to buy one for her daugher. I think she should have both the cell phone and this......let's say...she needed you, she could immediately pull the pin on the alarm.......and then if there was time, punch in your phone number on her cell!
Horrible to think about all this but it's really important. However..the very saftest thing would be for you to walk with her til she get's to school...and then you use YOUR alarm to get back! THis is a WAR with crazy abductors.....and it isn't going to get better. I think you should get yourself one too!

xxxxxxxxxooooo
mama

Originally posted by Oceanbreeze
Love_Mama, Thanks for the link.
I think I'll get one for my daughter and one for me!!

Oceanbreeze (that should be my name) LOL......
I'm so glad you getting one....or two. If I can get as many women to buy them on this forum......when I get this into our small newspaper here....I bet a lot more will buy them. YIPPIE.

xxxxxxo
mama

Love_Mama,
Thank you for the information on the personal safety devices. I am ordering several for my female friends and family. The world is just a tiny bit safer now...

Psychologist Told Officials Rodriguez Was Likely to Re-Offend

A risk assessment done four months prior to Alfonso Rodriguez Jr.'s release from prison warned that the severity of his assaults on women appeared to be increasing.

Dwight Close, the Minnesota Department of Corrections psychologist who assessed Rodriguez, added that Rodriguez's "victim pool" of women apparently chosen at random "suggests a need for broader notification of the public" than permitted by state guidelines.

Close cited other concerns to consider in calculating the risk of allowing Rodriguez back into the community, including the fact that he already had re-offended after receiving treatment as a sex offender.

Rodriguez, 50, has been charged with kidnapping in the disappearance of Dru Sjodin, a University of North Dakota student missing since November 22.

The risk-assessment report was dated January 10 for a committee that later conducted an end-of-confinement review, required before Rodriguez's release from prison on May 1. That review, done at least 90 days before a prisoner's release, determines how much notification needs to be provided to people where the released prisoner intends to live.

Rodriguez was designated a Level 3 offender, based on that review. The Level 3 category is reserved for those who show the highest likelihood to commit more sex crimes.

It is a separate procedure from the civil commitment hearing, which is required to be held at least a year before release. Those hearings are used to determine whether a sex offender should be held indefinitely for treatment at a secure hospital.

Corrections officials held a civil commitment hearing more than a year before Rodriguez's release but decided against indefinite treatment at the conclusion of his criminal sentence, in part because of his age. He is 50.

In his assessment, Close noted that: "Rodriguez's willingness to use force may be escalating in severity," and he cited four "special concerns" that should be considered in his case:

Rodriguez had re-offended despite having participated in inpatient sex offender treatment for about five years.

Two of his three assaults involved the use of a weapon.

Because his victims had been "adult females (who were) unknown to him and who appear to have been randomly selected," there was "a need for broader notification of the public than that permitted by the risk level associated with the offender's score" on the assessment.

Rodriguez was "unlikely to have a stable, well-supervised living arrangement in a location which minimizes his access to potential victims."

Although he told one official interviewer before his prison release that he would like to return to Mexico to pursue a trade in printing, according to the risk assessment report, Rodriguez moved back to Crookston, where he was living with his mother when he was arrested.

Close's report was released this week by Polk County District Court along with other documents that had been filed by authorities seeking search warrants last month for Rodriguez's car and home in Crookston.

As his 23-year prison confinement was about to end, Rodriguez was given a score of 13 on a risk-to-reoffend assessment by the Department of Corrections, the report shows.

A sexual offender who scores 8 or higher is designated Level 3

All this time I was thinking that these sexual offenders stalk and plan for the right moment to attack ............now I'm thinking that they are always ready to pounce....they are always looking just waiting for a victim to step into the trap.

I bet he gathered all his "gear" the knife, wire, cleaning supplies, and a drop location within days of his release. Even getting the right car. I wonder if he dis-engaged the door handles from the inside?

Just got my alarms in today and boy are they loud!
I hope we never have to use em.

Personally, I think LE should cut a deal with Rodriguez. There's already enough evidence to keep him in jail for life. MN/ND winters are long and hard. If he killed her, Dru won't be found until next spring when warm weather thaw comes. The family needs closure. I can't imagine what the they're going through.

Originally posted by Trino
Personally, I think LE should cut a deal with Rodriguez. There's already enough evidence to keep him in jail for life. MN/ND winters are long and hard. If he killed her, Dru won't be found until next spring when warm weather thaw comes. The family needs closure. I can't imagine what the they're going through.
I thopght that the States Attorney was so wrong to say loudly...NO DEALS....with out the death penalty there isn't much to bargain with, though.

But, I do wish somehow they could strike a deal with AR:dontknow: :confused:

Deal? He is going to be doing the rest of his life in prison. He knows that. If he tells where the body is, he faces the death penalty. He is going to keep his mouth shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth