GUILTY TN - Two killed, 6 injured in Knoxville church shooting, 27 July 2008

GetSmart

Reaction score
Gunman wounds 7 at Tennessee church
http://www.cnn.com/

Gunman wounds 7 at Tennessee church
Seven people were shot and critically wounded today at a Unitarian church in Knoxville, Tennessee, authorities said. Police have arrested a suspect in the attack, which occurred about 10 a.m. ET at the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Church, said Capt. Brent Seymour, a Knoxville Fire Department spokesman. Another 12 people were treated for minor injuries at the church, he said.

How sad is that.

They just said on Fox that one is now confirmed dead. :( How awful that people can't even go to church on Sunday without the worry of some lunatic shooting them.

Two dead, according to the Knoxville News-Sentinel. Six injured: four in critical, one serious, one treated and released.

The evil s.o.b. came in and started shooting during the childrens' summer drama performance.

Two dead, according to the Knoxville News-Sentinel. Six injured: four in critical, one serious, one treated and released.

The evil s.o.b. came in and started shooting during the childrens' summer drama performance.

:furious: no words...just anger...

:( The horror of this is simply too much for me today. My grand was just telling me how excited he was for Vacation Bible School to begin soon. Are our children safe anywhere?!

:( The horror of this is simply too much for me today. My grand was just telling me how excited he was for Vacation Bible School to begin soon. Are our children safe anywhere?!

There was a time I would have said Knoxville might be one of those safe places, as a city. Even after some really awful crimes have happened there in the past year or so, I still thought of Knoxville that way. I lived there for 4 years and I love that city. But for someone to walk in a Unitarian Universalist Church, of all places, and open fire during a childrens' production? To say it boggles my mind is too mild. Just stunned.

Goodness gracious, what is going wrong with this world?

SS I pray your GS will be perfectly safe at his vacation bible school.

A gunman opened fire at a church youth performance Sunday, injuring eight people and killing a man who witnesses called a hero for shielding others from a shotgun blast.

snip....None of the children were injured. A hospital spokeswoman said five of the wounded were in critical condition and one person was in serious condition. Two others were treated and released.

Jim D. Adkisson, 58, was charged with first-degree murder and was being held on $1 million bail, according to city spokesman Randy Kenner, who did not know if the suspect had retained an attorney. Authorities were searching Adkisson's home in the Knoxville bedroom community of Powell, Kenner said.
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jOAQKzY-aOBqDspFkEAV_ZO65vZAD926GDL80

I have read about this in several places today and nothing explains this random act to date. Maybe by tomorrow there will be some connection made but in the interim it is so frightening to think a gunman would let loose on a church group's children's play. Why?

Even back to the Texas tower shooting in Austin there was some weird connection as that person was a student. Not right and still not totally explained but there was a connection.

The only thing I can think of is that a parishioner was quoted as saying that the man was saying hateful things. Could be a fallen away member of the church? A relative was a member and he was rebuked by the relative?

Terribly sad in all instances that the result is untold injury to minds, bodies and spirits.

The article indicates that the Feds may come in to investigate it as a hate crime. This church did a lot of social progressive work. Worked with the homeless and supported gays among other things. By the parishoner refusing to say what he said, I am guessing that he disagreed with their work, maybe made some explicit disparaging remarks.

A Tennessee city official says a second victim has died from injuries suffered in a shooting at a church youth performance.

Knoxville spokesman Randall Kenner says 61-year-old Linda Kraeger died at University of Tennessee Medical Center on Sunday, several hours after the shooting. Sixty-year-old Greg McKendry died earlier in the day.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jOAQKzY-aOBqDspFkEAV_ZO65vZAD926HC5O0

The article indicates that the Feds may come in to investigate it as a hate crime. This church did a lot of social progressive work. Worked with the homeless and supported gays among other things. By the parishoner refusing to say what he said, I am guessing that he disagreed with their work, maybe made some explicit disparaging remarks.

That would make sense. A homophobe taking it out on innocents because of his fears. We will have to watch this one.

This makes it even more sad and disgusting...........

I have read about this in several places today and nothing explains this random act to date. Maybe by tomorrow there will be some connection made but in the interim it is so frightening to think a gunman would let loose on a church group's children's play. Why?

Even back to the Texas tower shooting in Austin there was some weird connection as that person was a student. Not right and still not totally explained but there was a connection.

The only thing I can think of is that a parishioner was quoted as saying that the man was saying hateful things. Could be a fallen away member of the church? A relative was a member and he was rebuked by the relative?

Terribly sad in all instances that the result is untold injury to minds, bodies and spirits.

From what the neighbor said and what was found in his truck it looks like maybe he hated churches and and hated liberals. This church worked for women's rights, gay rights, and they also started a civil liberties union.

Knoxville's police chief says the man accused of a shooting that killed two people at a Tennessee church targeted the congregation because of its liberal social stance.
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jOAQKzY-aOBqDspFkEAV_ZO65vZAD926U0GO4

Church Gunman Brought 76 Shells and Expected to Use Them
Church Shooter Expected to Kill Until He Was Killed

Jim D. Adkisson, 58, ranted that "liberals and gays" taking jobs had prevented him from finding work. He wrote that he expected to keep shooting parishioners until the police showed up and killed him, Knoxville, Tenn., Police Chief Sterling Owen told a news conference.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=5463260&page=1

From what the neighbor said and what was found in his truck it looks like maybe he hated churches and and hated liberals. This church worked for women's rights, gay rights, and they also started a civil liberties union.
Thanks for the info. Hatred for himself spewed out onto innocent people. He is just evil.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back