Run, Do Not Walk to Buy This Book When It Is Published!!

believe09

Reaction score
A NYC prosecutor has written a rhyming book geared towards helping children tell if they are being sexually abused. Statistics estimate that the average age of a child who is initially abused is 7 years of age. The book is written for ages 3-8 years of age. This book came about after the prosecutor sucessfully prosecuted the uncle of a child who had started raping her when she was 6 years of age. The child had seen the end of an Oprah show that indicated if you were being abused you should tell a teacher. The child told her teacher the next day-please read more at the link!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080726/ap_on_re_us/child_abuse_book;_ylt=AlhXKKoQmkm.ZHfcsBxAVMJvzwcF

Ooh, I hope libraries get this book in, too!

From the initial article:
"She shopped the idea around and got a warm reception. Several publishing houses were interested, but they all wanted her to drop one line in the book — the line where the child in the story is actually abused. The reason? The book would be too hard to market to parents.
"They wanted to just take it out. Take it out? If I take it out, why am I writing it?" Starishevsky said.
She decided to publish the book as is, by herself. Advocacy groups around the country say it will be an important tool for parents, and one organization in Los Angeles is reading the text to students. Other groups offered to finance the book for her.
END QUOTE

How is this book going to reach the children who need it most? That's my concern. My hope is that it will be bought and distributed through children's advocacy groups, through non-profit shelters for women and children, and hopefully, through grants for school libraries to give every child in the first grade a copy every year.

One thing's for sure- an abusive parent certainly isn't going to buy the book for his or her children. That's the huge loophole as things stand now.

That is true but school libraries may get this book. Also, parents who do buy this book could find it really helps child if they are abused by an uncle, coach, family friend etc.

From the initial article:
"She shopped the idea around and got a warm reception. Several publishing houses were interested, but they all wanted her to drop one line in the book — the line where the child in the story is actually abused. The reason? The book would be too hard to market to parents.
"They wanted to just take it out. Take it out? If I take it out, why am I writing it?" Starishevsky said.
She decided to publish the book as is, by herself. Advocacy groups around the country say it will be an important tool for parents, and one organization in Los Angeles is reading the text to students. Other groups offered to finance the book for her.
END QUOTE

How is this book going to reach the children who need it most? That's my concern. My hope is that it will be bought and distributed through children's advocacy groups, through non-profit shelters for women and children, and hopefully, through grants for school libraries to give every child in the first grade a copy every year.

One thing's for sure- an abusive parent certainly isn't going to buy the book for his or her children. That's the huge loophole as things stand now.

Perhaps we can encourage our schools and doctors offices to read this book or have it available-and our day cares...just have it available in your home...what are the chances that you can touch a child who has been abused? 1 in 8 I believe...

Perhaps we can encourage our schools and doctors offices to read this book or have it available-and our day cares...just have it available in your home...what are the chances that you can touch a child who has been abused? 1 in 8 I believe...

Thanks for posting this, believe. It is good to know of any tools out there that can help us help children who have been harmed.

I have also been thinking about SJ's comment about getting it to the children who need it most, like to advocates and shelters....sexual abuse doesn't discriminate and certainly crosses all socio-economic boundaries, so we have to broaden our perception of where it should be delivered.

If my school system can discuss the assassinations of MLK and JFK in first grade, then they can take a moment to read a book like this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back