This may make some smile but it hurts me just to think about it.

My grandmother, and an aunt both birthed 16 children with one husband each. My aunt also fostered children, and ended up adopting a little neighbor girl, who's mother was in and out of prison, so that makes 17 children!!

I cannot imagine birthing that many... especially ALL at home like my grandma did. Heck, I noticed a difference from my first to second children! I think I would feel "all worn out" by the time I would get to the 4th or 5th birthing.. not to mentions a bakers dozen, PLUS some!! :eek:

I wonder if births get easier as you get up in numbers like that? It would seem like after 10 or so they'd just start to sort of fall out when it was time, but I bet that's not true.

I always wonder about these people.

What does the Father do to support the family?

Do they have a farm so they're self supporting?

Do the older children raise the younger ones?

I wonder if births get easier as you get up in numbers like that? It would seem like after 10 or so they'd just start to sort of fall out when it was time, but I bet that's not true.

I've heard the labor times are shorter as you progress, but that is just incidentally, not researched.

I had relatives who have had 18+ kids. I can just imagine having a entire "classroom" full of kids who never went home to their mom's and you never get a paycheck or summers off!

I'll bet it's impossible to spoil a child when you have 17 more making sure things are "fair." ;-)

Oh gosh, can you imagine if one or more was bipolar or something? I could barely make it through the doctor visit copays for ONE child!

Amateurs!!
Only 18??

My husbands grandmother pushed out 21 children on a small ranch in Mexico. Only her mother or an aunt helped out until the older daughters became able to help deliver the babies at the age of 8.
5 of the children died before adulthood.

His other grandmother had 15 children with 10 reaching adulthood.

My mother in law had 13 children at home. One was born with a type of spinal bifida (I believe, no one really knows since there was no healthcare then) and she died but the rest were healthy.

I will now award myself the Whiner of the Year award. I have one kid, he is a great kid, he'll be 12 in a month, and he has run me ragged. Nothing bad, just normal stuff.

The thought of having TWENTY ONE CHILDRED.....I can't go there, I'll never recover.

If this is true I would guess by number 12 they pretty much fall out when you stand up.

I only had one child and found the experience so bad and so traumatising I swore I would never do it again and I didnt:) Soooo many people said to me "Oh you'll forget and have another and in time it wont seem so bad" etc etc...but there was NO WAY I was ever EVER going to go through that again.

Yet other women like my cousin can just drop them like rabbits...they say they'd have loads and its not "so bad".

I guess the experience is just so different for different women.

My paternal great grandmother had 18 children with no twins or triplets among them. They were all healthy and all survived to adulthood. My grandfather, born circa 1915, was the oldest and my mother (his first child of five) has an aunt who is younger than her. From what I've been told the eldest all helped with the younger ones. It must have been very hard for her raising them in a little country town.

Your Grandmother was a great woman. Lord only knows how they managed back then without all the mod cons we have now. I applaud them.

Thanks, Ciara. Her name was Alice. I only wish I'd met her.

I've given birth to 5 kids-worst and longest labor was baby #4, and most painful was baby #5. Course, she weighed almost 10 lbs and was born within an hour of getting to the hospital, so it was a bit fast and furious...

Seriously, each labor and delivery was different. I didn't have any drugs with #1 or #5, epidurals with #2, 3 and 4, and #4 was an all day long ordeal and the smallest baby of the bunch. So no, it doesn't get easier with time-plus you are thinking about eerything you'll have to do when you get home!

S

so true, it doesn't get easier... 1st baby , I did have an epidural

6 pushes and she was out...... 2nd and it seemed I pushed forever

but with no medication...did take longer... bur neither were big babies

I saw this thread and started to giggle a little....18 children?? OMG! I would be in a padded room!!

I have ONE four-yr-old boy and he is amazing, wonderful, funny and sweet-natured but BUSY all the time!! He is so curious about everything and he is into everything!

His entrance into the world was quite dramatic...22 hours of terrible labor (I hate pitosan!!!) and then a run down to the operating room for an emergency c-section. ARGH! But, as cliche as it sounds...the moment they brought him to me I thought 'Well, now, that was worth it!"

I've always been in awe of having that many children, or children with 12+ lb birth weights. All I can think is ouch!

I remember running across this multiple multiples site a few years ago, in awe.
The record number of children just amazes me... There are small towns less populated than this family size! and all before modern medicine! :eek:

Vassiliev (Russia) 4 sets of quads; 7 sets of triplets; and 16 sets of twins from 1725-1765 with 1st wife, only 2 died. 18 kids in 8 pregnancies with 2nd wife. 83 of 87 were living at the time they were presented to the government.

http://www.freewebs.com/facts-about-multiples/multiplemultiples.htm

I am in awe of anybody who has had that many children too. My three keep me quite busy as it is. I can't imagine having any more. :eek:

I was reading about the family with 18 children online and came across a "demotivational" poster with their family picture on it. The caption was something like "The VayJayJay NOT A CLOWN CAR"

Wow, I respect anyone who has the paitence or money :) for that many kids, but for some reason that poster absolutley cracked me up!

I cant.. I cant imagin.. I have three and that is some serious work. I thought my mom was nuts for having five. And as the oldest, I helped ALOT. Good thling too, prepared me for mine. Was an old pro before I even had my first. I love kids. Love them!! I think it's great that some woman had so many but it makes me wonder, how hard is it to remember everything about all those kids? What was my first word? What was my favorite toy? What silly thing did I do that made you laugh? How can you remember all those details about all those kids? Just the other day one of my kids asked me about something she remembered doing as a little one.. and for the life of me I couldnt. She was hurt that I didnt remember. That was with three kids. How do they do it? They are amazing women!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee
Back