GA GA - Charles 'Chuckie' Mauk, 13, Warner Robins, 17 Feb 1986

scandi

Reaction score
Have any of you heard about Chuckie Mock{h}? I just watched Nancy Grace and she featured him and interviewed his mother. It was so sad Nancy started to cry!

I can't locate him anywhere on the web. What I heard is iin 1986, he was seen standing by the side of a road talking to a guy in a car that had pulled up beside him. Many passing cars saw them. They talked for about 10 to 15 minutes and then the boy turned around to leave and the man in the car shot this little boy in the back of his head, killing him.

It happened on an army base, I think in Florida, not sure, but in the south anyway. It was a white guy with either bad acne on his face or else facial hair. There is a $5,000 reward for info about Chucie.

A really sad case. And if you can't even find him on the world wide net, then it means it is a really cold case! Very sad.

Scandi

Macon Telegraph
December 16, 2004

.....for the arrest and conviction of the person who shot and killed a 13-year-old boy in a Warner Robins parking lot more than 18 years ago.
On Feb. 17, 1986 Charles "Chuckie" Mauk was shot in the head in the parking lot of the former Giant Food store ...off Russell Parkway. He and a friend had ridden their bicycles from their homes about a block away to the store to buy some gum and candy.
Chuckie was found by his parents lying in the parking lot near his bike, Miller said. He was still clutching the bubble gum he had bought at the store, Clark said.
Authorities do know that Chuckie was seen shortly before his body was discovered at 8:15 p.m. that Monday talking to a man who was driving a white vehicle in the parking lot.......

Thanks guys for all the links.

I was sitting so far away from the TV I got the last name and state wrong LOL, but the important thing is his info is out there so eventually his killer will be named. The mother is still in turmoil every day, even after all this time. God bless her.

Scandi

I was a kid when this happened and it rocked our town. Our parents would not let us do anything for years to come because of this incident. I still don't understand why it hasn't been solved nor do I even understand why it happened. We lived like 3 minutes down the road from where it happened and I still think about it to this day. His mother works at my OB/Gyn's office and one day I realized who she was. I don't see how she stays sane!

http://www.freewebs.com/findchuckskiller/index.htm

Picture of Person of Interest

crime_mauk2.jpg

This almost sounds like a random drive-by....Someone looking to kill for the thrill of doing it, and Chuck just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Feb. 17, 1986, Charles "Chuckie" Mauk was shot in the head in the parking lot of the former Giant Food store, now Video Warehouse, off Russell Parkway. He and a friend had ridden their bicycles from their homes about a block away to the store to buy some gum and candy.

Investigators have never determined a motive for the shooting, although there was speculation in the community that Chuckie may have witnessed a drug deal in the parking lot.

Chuckie was found by his parents lying in the parking lot near his bike, Miller said. He was still clutching the bubble gum he had bought at the store.

Chuckie was seen shortly before his body was discovered at 8:15 p.m. that Monday talking to a man who was driving a white vehicle in the parking lot.

This does not mean the man was involved in the teenager's death, but the man may have some valuable information that may help authorities solve the case.

A sketch of that man was re-released Wednesday at a news conference held at the sheriff's office in Warner Robins.

Anyone with information about the unsolved shooting is asked to contact the Warner Robbins sheriff's office at 478-542-2085 (days) and 478-542-2080 (nights).

What about the friend that went to the store with him? Didn't he see anything? Why wasn't he killed? The piece said that Chuckie's parents found him lying in the parking lot, did the boy just leave him there?

Not exactly sure what happened to the friend. I think that he left before Chuck left. The area where it happened was where kids hung out. I am assuming that since it was getting dark, maybe the friend headed back home before Chuck did. Growing up in WR, we always heard rumors here and there about who did it but they have never been consistent. The problem with solving this case is the fact that the bullet was lost. It entered from the back and exited through the front and was never found. I find it hard to believe that they could not find that bullet. It makes me think that they didn't even look. When the emergency call first came in, it was reported as a hit and run. They didn't know for sure until they had him at the hospital where he was pronounced dead. The bullet would have been the key because they maybe one day could have matched the ballistics.

Who are the investigators for this case? Was a crime scene reconstruction ever done? If it had been, chances are good they would have found the bullet. Two things seem to stand out to me:

1. (I am assuming) no casing was found, which indicates either the killer was the man in the car (and the casing remained in the car) or the killer picked up the casing.

2. No one in the convenience store heard a gun shot? I am very very familiar with guns and own several myself, of different calibers, and all guns are loud, even if you are several feet away. With the exception of a .22, they do NOT sound like firecrackers.

I would love to get my hands on the case file. There seems to be so many unanswered questions. Warner Robins was a relatively small town at the time. That's a pretty darn good recon sketch, which means a witness was very close to the person and had an unobstructed view. Sooo many questions: what was Chuckie's position in relation to his bike? Clearly he had turned away and was heading away. Perhaps this man had propositioned (or even threatened) Chuck and when Chuck refused or turned away in fear, he was shot. Possible shot perhaps because the killer lives in the area and feared being identified. The killer was obviously good with a gun because it is difficult to hit someone in the head (assuming six to ten feet distance). The angle of the entry wound would indicate if the shot came from a car or from a standing position. The size of the wound would approximate the caliber of the weapon. Where was his friend? How long had he left Chuck there alone? Who saw the car? Did they ever identify the type of car? Were there other, similar cases in town or in nearby towns? or even in the state?

Sorry sooo many questions but some of these cases are so frustrating. I know the police like to keep some info close to the vest so they don't jeopardize the case but gee wizz.

As a straight male, I would just like to say that that is the best looking composite I have ever seen.

Seriously, that guy may not look exactly like Burt Reynolds but he is a genuine 50-year-old movie star. In fact a composite like that makes me suspicious of the person who gave it.

...Two things seem to stand out to me:

1. (I am assuming) no casing was found, which indicates either the killer was the man in the car (and the casing remained in the car) or the killer picked up the casing.

2. No one in the convenience store heard a gun shot? I am very very familiar with guns and own several myself, of different calibers, and all guns are loud, even if you are several feet away. With the exception of a .22, they do NOT sound like firecrackers. ....

It is quite possible that the weapon was a revolver. In which case, the cartridge casing would have remained in the cylinder. Has it ever been stated what caliber the bullet was?

The sound of a shot will be described differently by different people. It also makes a difference what types of buildings, trees, etc were at the scene. Other noises may mask the sound as well.

Back in the day, it was a parking lot with a Giant Foods Store (small grocery store), a bowling alley, and a restaurant. Where he was shot at was past the bowling alley in front of the restaurant. From what I remember, he was in plain view of the restaurant about 20 feet away. Next to the parking lot was a side street (Burns Drive). That was the direction that I assume he was heading since he lived that way. Chuck was witnessed by someone talking to the man in the white car. If I remember correctly, it was an Oldsmobile type car. He had been talking to the man for 10-15 minutes. There were people that heard a gunshot (not in the restaurant for some reason) but I think from across the street. They witnessed the white car speeding away.

The composite came from different people. One witness that was in the restaurant and two passerbys that was heading down Burns Drive. They all contributed to the composite.

As far as the investigation goes, last that I heard Captain Robert Clark heads the investigation. For some reason this cold case rarely gets much attention anymore. Warner Robins is growing much bigger and most of the people that move here are Military. Few remember this traumatic event or don't know about it or just don't care to think about it anymore. Warner Robins has very little violent crime and back in the day, it was unheard of. For years when I was a kid I remember thinking maybe this is the year that they will find him and that day never came.

In my opinion, I think that this man could possibly be a sex offender. What would a grown man be doing talking to a 13 year old boy for 10-15 minutes unless he was propositioning him. JMO!

Yeah, I thought about the revolver after I posted. I have the greatest respect for homicide detectives but sometimes all the case needs is fresh eyes. It's a shame some of the case file can't be posted or viewed. I don't know why but this case just struck me as insufficient police work (and believe me, I don't say that lightly).

Hey KimF, Ima PM you some questions if you don't mind.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back