KY KY - Melanie Flynn, 24, Lexington, 25 Jan 1977

Richard

Reaction score
Melanie Dee Flynn

Missing since January 25, 1977 from Lexington/Fayette, Fayette County, Kentucky.
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: November 24, 1952
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 24 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'1"; 110 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; brown eyes.
  • Clothing: Yellow ski jacket, blue jeans, hiking boots that looked like they were covered in hair.
  • Dentals: Not available
Circumstances of Disappearance

Flynn was last seen on January 25, 1977 in Lexington/Fayette, Ky, when she left her office on Cooper Drive. She never arrived at home that night, and her abandoned car was discovered 11 days later in northern Lexington. The 24-year-old secretary was the subject of a highly publicized search after she disappeared.

Melanie's family believes that she knew too much about the Lexington Police drug trafficking, upon the arrest of a former Lexington Police Officer on cocaine trafficking charges. At the time of her disappearance, there was a scandal involving the Lexington Police narcotics squad.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Lexington-Fayette Police Department 859-258-3563

Agency Case Number: 013177048
NCIC Number: M-072117816

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

LINK:

<MOD NOTE: Several original links throughout the thread were broken and have been edited to include the current link (when available) and images as of April 15, 2023>

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently discovered the MANY Topix posts re: "The Bluegrass Conspiracy" (a VERY good read, btw) including Melanie's disappearance, and within those posts was a link to this news video featuring her brother, Brad.

JMO: A tragic death related to overwhelming conspiracy and corruption

Does anyone find it interesting to see the California Dept of Justice listed as a "source"??? The only connection that comes to mind would be the China Lake Naval Base weapons theft.

... Does anyone find it interesting to see the California Dept of Justice listed as a "source"??? The only connection that comes to mind would be the China Lake Naval Base weapons theft.

Not sure why the origional post had the "California" link, but if you click on it, this is what you get:
6A55926D-E05A-4F71-B7ED-FF16AE387FCE.jpeg
MISSING PERSON

Melanie Dee Flynn

Report Type: Voluntary Missing Adult
  • Sex: Female
  • Race: White
  • Hair: Blonde
  • Eye Color: Brown
  • Height: 5 ft. 01 in.
  • Weight: 110 lbs.
  • Date of Birth: 11/24/1952
  • Clothing: Yellow ski jacket, blue jeans, hiking boots that looked like they were covered in hair.
  • Dental X-rays Available: No
  • Alias: Melanie Dee
    Melanie Ohara
    Dee Dee
Melanie was last seen on January 25, 1977 in Lexington/Fayette, Ky.

CONTACT
Agency: Lexington-Fayette (KY) Police Department
Phone Number: (859) 258-3563
Case Number: 013177048

I appreciate the recent activity on this topic. Having the recent post that included the TV clip showing her brother, Brad, is very helpful and shows the search that her family has undertaken for answers after all of these years. By the way, another brother, Doug, played for the Cincinnati Reds and as recently as last summer did some color commentary on their radio network during home games.

I read about her disapperance many years ago in the Bluegrass Conspiracy book although I've never understood why the edition that I had never included a photo of her. The book certainly showed some real questions about the conduct of the Lexington Metro Police Dept. and their apparent link to organized crime in that area.

The reference to the California Dept. of Justice could very well be as a result of a military weapons theft. In one of the chapters in Bluegrass Conspiracy, there is a reference to the Kentucky State Police learning of an apparent threat that if they (Ky. State Police) flew one of their helecopters over a certain section of land in Kentucky, it would be shot down. You'd think shooting down a helecopter would take some sort of military weapon. The State Police had done some flying there before that in connection with reported drug activity. It must have caught someone's attention. I understand the state police entered the case when Melanie's purse was discovered along the Kentucky River near Camp Nelson which gave them jurisdiction to become involved.

From what I read and have heard, Melanie must have learned of some drug-related matters that involved one or more members of the Lexington Metro Police and that lead to her disapperance and apparent murder. It might be noted that when she dissappeared in January, 1977, the weather was in that area was brutally cold with temperatures far below zero. Not the best time to be out searching for someone. It appears her brother, Brad, has had some good tips about where her body may be. You wonder who it may have been who put up that metal plate in the cave he has searched and why? It it was county or state officials, there would have to be some record of it. The counties of Mercer and Jessamine mentioned as where the brother was looking are basically in the area where her purse was found. Maybe her body is near there, too.

I read the book when first published. I knew some of those people when we were all in high school---was stunned years later reading the book. My husband knew the Flynn family. Have always wished for a true/final closure for them even though they pretty much figure/know what happened to Melanie. Very sad.

This remains a sad yet intriguing story. The loss of a loved family member and friend with no finding of her body yet the assumed fact that she is deceased and the report of local law enforcement being somehow involved.

Since the Kentucky State Police became involved when Melanie's purse was later discovered in their jurisdiction, might that agency still have involvement in the case? It seems that dealing with Lexington Fayette Metro Police is not a good choice.

Cincinnati Kid... I don't know if Ky State Police keep this case on their 'radar' or not. Back around 1990, Lexington Police Cheif Larry Walsh reopened the case, or so it appeared. I feel the Flynns had a bit of false hope for a short while but it went nowhere. <modsnip> Sad for the Flynns as they may never have any 'finality' before the end of their own lives. Only hope her brothers might see justice served but I feel that's doubtful. Prayers for the Flynns & other families like theirs.

Reported yesterday on local Lexington news stations, today in the Lexington Herald-Leader front section page 5A.... "Coroner confirms human remains found found near vehicles in Kentucky River". You can see it online at Kentucky.com

Probably not Melanie but ya never know. I continue to hope for the Flynn family..... just to have some final answers of sorts. Human remains (a foot & part of an ankle), found on the river bank as officials were digging out more than one car spotted, several months ago, down near Valley View Ferry. They don't know if there's connection between vehicles found and the remains. Testing is being done which will take a while.

We all have our opinions as to what happened to her. Lots of people feel her remains might be in the river OR Herrington Lake. Herrington Lake is particularly treacherous... created in the 1920s, it wasn't cleared out prior to flooding the area so trees and all sorts of debris were left. Most anything that sinks far enough will become snarled and remain in the deep. The Ky River has it's 'treachery' as well. Thornton's farm was close to or had Lake access. If my memory serves me right, a purse and a couple of Rx bottles were found somewhere on the river bank---the Rx were in her name. JMO, I felt if those Rx were hers then her body was else where.

RIP Melanie Flynn..... thoughts and prayers for her family

Reported yesterday on local Lexington news stations, today in the Lexington Herald-Leader front section page 5A.... "Coroner confirms human remains found found near vehicles in Kentucky River". You can see it online at Kentucky.com

Probably not Melanie but ya never know. I continue to hope for the Flynn family..... just to have some final answers of sorts. Human remains (a foot & part of an ankle), found on the river bank as officials were digging out more than one car spotted, several months ago, down near Valley View Ferry. They don't know if there's connection between vehicles found and the remains. Testing is being done which will take a while.

We all have our opinions as to what happened to her. Lots of people feel her remains might be in the river OR Herrington Lake. Herrington Lake is particularly treacherous... created in the 1920s, it wasn't cleared out prior to flooding the area so trees and all sorts of debris were left. Most anything that sinks far enough will become snarled and remain in the deep. The Ky River has it's 'treachery' as well. Thornton's farm was close to or had Lake access. If my memory serves me right, a purse and a couple of Rx bottles were found somewhere on the river bank---the Rx were in her name. JMO, I felt if those Rx were hers then her body was else where.
Just adding a link to go with this post :)
http://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Le...emains-found-in-Kentucky-River-398619261.html

Anyone know who (exactly) found Melanie's purse in the Kentucky River?? <modsnip: off topic>

Sadly, none of all the dirt (nor all the dark rabbit holes in which I tumble) help to locate Melanie :(

Wow, I posted on this thread years ago, had no idea their were responses. 20+ years later of getting wrapped up in this case and I still think of it all the time. Someday I pray someone will talk :(

Her car was found a few days/weeks(?) later at the Hollow Creek apartments in Lexington. I know the person who lived there at that time, <modsnip>

I never thought about Herrington. Agree, it's a dangerous, rat's nest, of a lake. I've wondered more than once if the Spurlock girl may be there though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back