Warren Jeffs 'wife' back in custody of CPS

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
The girl who was allegedly married to Jeffs at the age of 12 is now 14 years old. She is the dau. of Merrill and Barbara Jessop. Barbara took the 5th on almost every question in court yesterday.

Judge ordered the girl back into CPS custody, but left her 11 year old brother in the custody of their mother. Judge emphasized that the mother must maintain contact with CPS.

CPS is urged to make parenting classes available immediately. To complete psychological testing of parents and the children within 30 days. 45 days to complete home evaluation.

Merrill ordered to have no contact with the children and to submit a DNA sample. Parents ordered to pay $180 a month in child support.

This is one of the girls that was in pictures with Jeffs.
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_10245980

Here's another article:

Girl from polygamist group ordered into state care

SAN ANGELO, Texas - A 14-year-old girl allegedly married to jailed polygamist sect leader Warren Jeffs with her parents' blessing at age 12 was ordered back into foster care Tuesday by a Texas judge.

District Judge Barbara Walther said that there was "uncontroverted evidence of the underage marriage" and that the girl's mother, Barbara Jessop, refused to guarantee the girl's safety. The girl, shown in photographs submitted to the court kissing Jeffs, must immediately enter foster care.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080819/ap_on_re_us/polygamist_retreat

They were right to take her if her own mother has no intention of protecting her.

They were right to take her if her own mother has no intention of protecting her.
I don't think the mother can protect her. Further, I doubt she sees anything wrong with her child "married" off at age 12 because this is all they has ever known.

I wish they would have removed the boy, too, but he is probably safe from sexual abuse.

12 years old! That is just too sad.

Somehow I think it is more than just the mother couldn't/wouldn't protect her.

Carolyn Jessop was on the witness stand telling about what she saw in the household while she was living there. About how Barbara and Merrill treated the kids. The FLDS attorney asked Carolyn about her book and reminded that Carolyn had been gone from the home for 20 years.

But then Barbara took the stand and pleaded the 5th on almost all questions.

“ No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.[
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

IOW Barbara Jessop must believe that she committed a crime. That if she spoke, she might incriminate herself in criminal activity.

All the other FLDS are using the party line: right to religous freedom, willing to stand up for their rights, love their children, willing to cooperate. Only Jessop is different. So what is she afraid of? What crime does she fear more than the others?

Invoking the Fifth Amendment can protect Jessop in a criminal case. But previous court rulings have found that negative inferences can be made in civil cases, like the child custody case, if a person refuses to answer.

Rios said after the hearing that Jessop's decision to invoke the Fifth Amendment probably hurt her custody case but that he plans to argue on appeal that the welfare agency didn't make a reasonable effort to keep the family together, as required under Texas law.
http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/08/20/0820flds.html

It looks to me like she knowingly chose to offer the 5th in order not to incriminate herself. As far as an appeal, she will have to show that she attempted to cooperate with CPS, and something tells me that wasn't the case.

Somehow I think it is more than just the mother couldn't/wouldn't protect her.

Carolyn Jessop was on the witness stand telling about what she saw in the household while she was living there. About how Barbara and Merrill treated the kids. The FLDS attorney asked Carolyn about her book and reminded that Carolyn had been gone from the home for 20 years.

But then Barbara took the stand and pleaded the 5th on almost all questions.

IOW Barbara Jessop must believe that she committed a crime. That if she spoke, she might incriminate herself in criminal activity.

All the other FLDS are using the party line: right to religous freedom, willing to stand up for their rights, love their children, willing to cooperate. Only Jessop is different. So what is she afraid of? What crime does she fear more than the others?

Bolded by me.

I know this is a really old post but I was looking back through old ones trying to get caught up since I've been mired in the Caylee Anthony threads for months. Had to comment. Carolyn Jessop and her children escaped the FLDS in April, 2003. That is FIVE years ago, not 20.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petoskey
Back