CA - David Hwang & Sheila Sikat, sex abuse, child *advertiser censored*, Rancho Santa Margarita, 2001

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
A South County couple who allegedly videotaped themselves having sex with a preschool-age relative were ordered Tuesday to stand trial on 88 counts each in a child molestation and kidnapping case.

If convicted, they could face five life sentences, one for each time they are accused of deceiving the child's parents into letting them keep the little girl overnight.

A sheriff's investigator testified during the preliminary hearing that David Hwang, 32, and his wife, Sheila Sikat, 24, told the girl's parents that they wanted to be baby-sitters for the child to practice parenting skills.

Instead, the Rancho Santa Margarita couple filmed lengthy sex sessions with the girl, authorities say. When Hwang and Sikat were arrested in September, police allegedly found a trunk in the couple's bedroom containing more than 200 homemade videotapes involving various children.

Defense attorneys argued Tuesday that the kidnapping charges should be dropped because the couple did not use force to abduct the child.

But the deceit of the parents, coupled with the activities observed on the seized videotapes, warranted the kidnapping charges, said Deputy Dist. Atty. Beth Costello.

The investigator testified during the first portion of the hearing April 8 that the couple's tapes and CDs showed six children being molested. Detectives believe five of the girls — including an 8-month-old — were molested in Texas, where Hwang once lived and where he will be extradited after the Orange County trial.

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/showcase/la-me-molest21apr21.story

Now why isn't this a life imprisonment issue? I cannot see any socially redeeming value for either of those individuals.

Our local news just reported that the jurors on this case were so torn up by the hours and hours of sexual absue they watched this little girl endure, they wanted ,and were able, to give victim impact statements. I have never heard of this being done before and is highly unusual. horrible horrible crime. the jurors were in tears at the first sentencing hearing today.

Judge will hold second hearing on molestation sentencing.

Judge sets session in March to conclude sentencing hearing.

ANTA ANA The family of a Rancho Santa Margarita woman convicted of 55 counts of child molestation asked a judge for leniency Friday, but Sheila M. Sikat said she didn't want it.
In a tearful statement during her sentencing hearing, Sikat took full responsibility for her part in the videotaped molestation of her then-4-year-old niece with husband David Shoutyh Hwang. Sikat, 26 at the time, was found guilty in December. Hwang pleaded guilty in 2006 and is serving 50 years to life.
"It was my fault and my fault only," Sikat said. "Love is about protection. I failed to protect my niece."
Both of Sikat's sisters — one of them the victim's mother — pleaded for mercy on behalf of Sikat. Sikat's other sister Donna — now an adult — was identified by Deputy District Attorney Beth Carmichael in court as being another underage victim of the couple

http://www.ocregister.com/news/sikat-paer-sister-1986137-court-hwang

from the link..this is inreference to the child's MOTHER, the defendants sister:

The victim's mother, who was identified in court as Emma, described Sikat as a good sister and a good aunt who was under the control of Hwang.
"It started when she was involved with David," Emma said. "She's not evil. She's a good person."
Superior Court Judge Gary S. Paer disagreed, telling the mother that she didn't understand the severity of the crime because she didn't see the videotapes of Sikat participating in the molestations.
"There are things that you don't know about she did that were outrageous," Paer said. "We're talking about a sister going to another sister, taking possession of the child and throwing her to a monster and participating."

ON the news he also said something to the effect that if she watched the tapes she would see that her sister was not someone she would want in her life or something liek that. The sister is defending her sister.

Aaaaaarrrrggghh :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

What is wrong with people? how in the h*** does it enter a persons mind to attack a child? How can anybody look at a child and want to do anything except take care of them, make sure they are safe and happy? These people really are worse than even the parents who let their baby starve in a carseat. I can almost have compassion for young overwhelmed parents to some degree. But these sickos went and took the child to do these despicable things. God, this is just sickening. 88 lifetime imprisonments cannot repair what they have done. Nothing can.

Aaaaaarrrrggghh :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

What is wrong with people? how in the h*** does it enter a persons mind to attack a child? How can anybody look at a child and want to do anything except take care of them, make sure they are safe and happy? These people really are worse than even the parents who let their baby starve in a carseat. I can almost have compassion for young overwhelmed parents to some degree. But these sickos went and took the child to do these despicable things. God, this is just sickening. 88 lifetime imprisonments cannot repair what they have done. Nothing can.
you should have seen the jurors giving victim impact statements. they watched hours of this sexual brutality on a child and they are forever changed.

What a terrible case. This, however, is something we rarely, rarely hear in these matters:

......In a tearful statement during her sentencing hearing, Sikat took full responsibility for her part in the videotaped molestation of her then-4-year-old niece with husband David Shoutyh Hwang.

I am heartened by this. Of course, the bell cannot be unrung, but a child molester with this type of attitude, if sincere, has a genuine chance to change stripes. I think many of us us would agree that such a chance is exceedingly rare for most people who molest children.

I am also humbled by the intensity of forgiveness other family members seem to have found.

My prayer and love to this family.

THis "mother" should watch the tapes! If she is all about putting the blame on the man and "forgiving" her sister then she is a complete fool. The sister is just as guilty as the man. We can only imagine what kind of abuse happened and how SHE praticipated in it. I am sure seeing all the gory details of just how INNOCENT and BRAINWASHED she really was is on those films. I am willing to bet she enjoyed herself just as much as the other pervert.
Stupid mother. UGH.
I am gonna be crude. Forgive me: Just because someone has a vagina does not make them magically immune of being a sex offender. Being a female does not mean you will not rape a child. She DID IT! ADMITTED IT!

As for her "being so very sorry" yeah. Whatever. I don't believe it. She is sorry she got caught and sorry the entire world knows she is a freak. She is sooo sorry only because she is a female and crying and being "helpless" may help her recieve a lighter sentence. She raped a child. SEVERAL children and her own sister (if I read that correctly)...
SHE IS ONLY SORRY SHE CANNOT RAPE MORE KIDS WITH HER BELOVED HUSBAND.
She is a liar.

I am gonna be sick. Seriously.
(This sounds like Karla Homolka, kinda)

If it were my sister, blood or not, i'd say throw the book at her!! Hopefully other inmates will take them out since our system won't give them the dang death penalty.

This is by far one of the most horrific things I have ever heard! If it were my sister I would beat her down I swear. She is an idiot if she forgives her for this.

The victim's mother said that the girl, who is now 10, is doing well and has no memories of the events. "I'm just looking at my daughter now," she said. "She's OK."

"But you never watched the tape," Paer said. "Most people would want to invoke violence on someone who did this," Paer said. "I would ask you to get the courage to watch that tape."

Paer said Sikat offered to baby-sit the victim "because she knew she was basically going to feed your child to the wolves ... "
Full article: click here

I know that I would not be even remotely as forgiving. What a betrayal.

I am humbled by the intensity of forgiveness

Dear southcitymom, I thought that I had learned the true meaning of forgiveness after the killings of the Amish girls. I am humbled by the intensity of your reminder. Thank you.

:blowkiss:

Dear southcitymom, I thought that I had learned the true meaning of forgiveness after the killings of the Amish girls. I am humbled by the intensity of your reminder. Thank you.

:blowkiss:

The Amish rocked my world with that also, Truly :blowkiss: ! Their reaction to the slaughter of their innocents was the strongest example of quiet love in action that I witnessed last year.

On another note - would I want to watch video of my child being molested by my sister or anyone else? I know myself well enough to believe that I would need to watch it, but I could not blame any parent who chose not to watch it. I can understand that position.

As pixies pointed out - there is a Homolka aspect to this case. My continued prayers for healing for this family.

Child molesters quite often "claim" to take full responsibility. Esp, once they've been convicted and are facing sentencing. Furthermore, child rapist's (yes, she's more than a molester, let's put this in perspective) also rationalize.

Referring to Hwang, Sikat told the court that "this person, somehow became this god. I lost all beliefs."
All the while, trying to "work" their audience to get those sympathy glands going.

"I hope you don't hate anybody ... if I do spend the rest of my life in prison," Sikat said.
You know, bc they're "sorry." Yet, what exactly is this child rapist "sorry" about?

"I'm sorry for all the things that you saw on those videos," Sikat said.
This is what "remorse" really means to these people. Their remorse is not about what they did, it's about being caught and exposed for what they are.

And, btw, and imnsho, it is this very thought process that makes them so dangerous. Bc, for the most part, good and just human beings want to believe. These people depend upon our (being the universal, our) naivete. Our desire to see the good in people. Even when they do "bad" things.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Child molesters quite often "claim" to take full responsibility. Esp, once they've been convicted and are facing sentencing. Furthermore, child rapist's (yes, she's more than a molester, let's put this in perspective) also rationalize.

All the while, trying to "work" their audience to get those sympathy glands going.

You know, bc they're "sorry." Yet, what exactly is this child rapist "sorry" about?

This is what "remorse" really means to these people. Their remorse is not about what they did, it's about being caught and exposed for what they are.

And, btw, and imnsho, it is this very thought process that makes them so dangerous. Bc, for the most part, good and just human beings want to believe. These people depend upon our (being the universal, our) naivete. Our desire to see the good in people. Even when they do "bad" things.

you should have seen the jurors giving victim impact statements. they watched hours of this sexual brutality on a child and they are forever changed.
I hope this doesn't sound dumb, but are jurors usually considered to be victims?
I can only imagine and I think that they should allow for conseling, ect in a lot of these horrific cases. Gawd, those poor babies!!!!!!!

I hope this doesn't sound dumb, but are jurors usually considered to be victims?
I can only imagine and I think that they should allow for conseling, ect in a lot of these horrific cases. Gawd, those poor babies!!!!!!!
NO they are not..that is what makes this so incredible.
The jurors were so moved and so affected by the tapes they viewed, they wanted to speak out in the sentencing.
One male juror cried and said when he saw that little girl scream for help and *hold herself* and fall off the bed he couldn;t take it.
They hated what they saw so much they wanted to speak out. I have never even heard of that happening before.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back