Docs Released Today - PDF Techie Help?

ThoughtElf

Former Member
Reaction score
I am sure that many of the Sleuthers here would like to index the .pdf files and be able to return to specific pages/lines in the docs, as I would for future fact-checking.

For example, in the 3rd .pdf file, I would like to note that on page 35, lines 13-18, YM established with Ricardo that "Ricardo, Casey, Caylee and the stuffies including 'Mama' and 'Teddy', plus others," all shared the same bed during the 3-4/wk nightly sleep overs while Casey and Ricardo dated.

I tried x-to-the-power-of-3 ways from Sunday, but I can't bookmark or comment within the downloaded document .pdf files in Adobe Acrobat Reader as 'comments' have been disabled in security.

Is it possible for any of you Tech-Heads like TechnicalConfusion, McSev or others to re-save the PDF docs with a full version of Adobe Professional and enable the 'comments' in the security properties? I don't have access to a full version of Acrobat until the Boss is back on Wednesday, so I am not even sure if you can re-save .pdfs with changed security properties, or not.

If you can, and if you wish to ftp them up once you enable comments, I'd be happy to provide an FTP site via PM for storage so we can work with copies of the docs that we can actually bookmark, review and comment upon.

If it is possible, then perhaps we could post a link in the docs/media thread so that others can download .pdf copies of the docs that they can reference for specific facts/quotes.

I am sure that many of the Sleuthers here would like to index the .pdf files and be able to return to specific pages/lines in the docs, as I would for future fact-checking.

For example, in the 3rd .pdf file, I would like to note that on page 35, lines 13-18, YM established with Ricardo that "Ricardo, Casey, Caylee and the stuffies including 'Mama' and 'Teddy', plus others," all shared the same bed during the 3-4/wk nightly sleep overs while Casey and Ricardo dated.

I tried x-to-the-power-of-3 ways from Sunday, but I can't bookmark or comment within the downloaded document .pdf files in Adobe Acrobat Reader as 'comments' have been disabled in security.

Is it possible for any of you Tech-Heads like TechnicalConfusion, McSev or others to re-save the PDF docs with a full version of Adobe Professional and enable the 'comments' in the security properties? I don't have access to a full version of Acrobat until the Boss is back on Wednesday, so I am not even sure if you can re-save .pdfs with changed security properties, or not.

If you can, and if you wish to ftp them up once you enable comments, I'd be happy to provide an FTP site via PM for storage so we can work with copies of the docs that we can actually bookmark, review and comment upon.

If it is possible, then perhaps we could post a link in the docs/media thread so that others can download .pdf copies of the docs that they can reference for specific facts/quotes.

Aww did you call my name Tater Salad? :)

Sure -I'll do these for you tomorrow if you can wait that long - have Adobe Pro on my work puter...

I was trying to do the same as you and just gave up. I see the problem will be resolved sometime tomorrow! :)

Aww did you call my name Tater Salad? :)

Sure -I'll do these for you tomorrow if you can wait that long - have Adobe Pro on my work puter...

Thanks, McSev!

I had a hunch you would step up.

Thank you in advance for offering to help. I am sure dozens of other Sleuthers are scribbling notes about page numbers and lines, as I am. PDF comments would be so much more useful.

(Forget the 'Tater Salad' dig; this Spud done gone and got a bonafide (deserved) Time Out. Won't be doing that again. It was like having the keys to the Kingdom, without the SysOp login.)

Is it easier to save if the PDF is changed to an HTML? I once saved the btk trial documents that way, but don't remember how I did it.

Thanks, McSev!

I had a hunch you would step up.

Thank you in advance for offering to help. I am sure dozens of other Sleuthers are scribbling notes about page numbers and lines, as I am. PDF comments would be so much more useful.

(Forget the 'Tater Salad' dig; this Spud done gone and got a bonafide (deserved) Time Out. Won't be doing that again. It was like having the keys to the Kingdom, without the SysOp login.)

Roger that - I'll PM ya when they're ready and you can post them wherever you please.

(Well Spud, I did mean it as a term of endearment, not an insult. Now I feel...horrible. I be sorry!)

I was trying to do the same as you and just gave up. I see the problem will be resolved sometime tomorrow! :)

Patty,

I definitely had you in mind when making this request.

As the resident, reliable and beloved, 'Librarian/Research Analyst,' I figured you were also trying to flag, index and bookmark specific quotes, lines and entries in the docs.

I have an entire page of notes beside me, as I am sure you might have also? We really benefit from and rely upon your input, so I hope we can make this easier for you especially.

I have trust that the 'Nerd Herd' can, and will, advise us here with tips on indexing the docs.

Is it easier to save if the PDF is changed to an HTML? I once saved the btk trial documents that way, but don't remember how I did it.

There are infinite complexities with .PDF files, dependent upon how they were saved when initially scanned.

For example, I tried to save each of the 'discovery' doc .pdf's as .txt (text) files, assuming that I'd be able to cite, highlight, bookmark and apply lines markers to each. it didn't work out so well, as most of these entires in the .pdfs have been saved as image files with strict security restrictions. So when you try to open them in a .txt (text) format, they appear to be empty.

That's all just Techie schmooze --> I expect that a few of our resident Sleuthers will welcome this challenge and will do their best to guide us.

Patty,

I definitely had you in mind when making this request.

As the resident, reliable and beloved, 'Librarian/Research Analyst,' I figured you were also trying to flag, index and bookmark specific quotes, lines and entries in the docs.

I have an entire page of notes beside me, as I am sure you might have also? We really benefit from and rely upon your input, so I hope we can make this easier for you especially.

I have trust that the 'Nerd Herd' can, and will, advise us here with tips on indexing the docs.

I was so frustrated, and you have it right, I have papers all over the place. I was about ready to go to Office Depot buy a bunch of ink cartridges, paper and highlighters. :rolleyes:

There is a trial version of the Abode Pro and I was thinking of downloading it and then I spotted YOUR post! :)

I will patiently wait until tomorrow!

I have confidence that the resident Techies will assist with advice. I'm not even remotely sure that it is possible to fulfill our request to modify the security settings on the .pdfs, but I'm confident that the WS sleuthers can help us figure out some way to index them legally without breaking any copyright laws.

One is done, the smaller one is going, should be finished rather quick, then the last one. I have to leave now.

Moi either. I guess it can only be enabled if you have a full version of acrobat. It was awfully kind of TC to assist though.

Moi either. I guess it can only be enabled if you have a full version of acrobat. It was awfully kind of TC to assist though.

I have the full version of Acrobat, and according to the Security setting, there is no restriction on anything. Printing, commenting, etc. should all be allowed.

So why can't we highlight or comment on these pages? Probably because the originals were paper documents that were photographed and then made into PDF files--in other words, the originals weren't text files, they were image files.

Images in PDF cannot be highlighted; highlighting and commenting only work on text. And most of these files are not text. I hope that makes sense, but I've been working in PDFs for 10 years and I'm fairly certain that's what the problem is.

If I'm wrong, I'll be thrilled. I'd love to index these files myself. Please let me be wrong!!! :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semh
Back