Regroup

christine2448

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
I say we start fresh. Get all reports from LE, ME, News, Media, we can.

JMO.

Here is info from the very first post in this case.

I am searching for information on a young man that has been unidentified for 10 years.

He was found on highway 58 just west of Emporia, Virginia on June 26, 1995. When he was found, he had shoulder length wavy hair that was a lighter brown or possibly what could be considered dark blond, which had at some point been dyed red. The red dye was believed to be temporary due to the fading of the color causing his hair to appear different shades of red, even pink in spots. His eye color is brown. He was about 5ft 8in to 5ft 10in and weighted about 160lbs to 170lbs. His approximate age was 16 to 22 years of age at the time. He had a homemade tattoo of a 5 point star on his left arm. There were no drugs nor alcohol found in his system at the time of the accident. He was wearing blue jeans, black tennis shoes with black shoe strings, a Grateful Dead concert shirt and a necklace. His only possessions were a yellow disposable lighter, two concert ticket stubs from the Grateful Dead concert that was at RFK stadium in Washington, DC on June 25, 1995. Also included in his possession was a note that read

"To Jason, Sorry we have to go. See you around. Caroline T. and Caroline O."

http://www.geocities.com/trying2id/JDpage.html

As I mentioned in the original thread, I'd be happy to make some phone calls if needed. Also, I think it would be a very good idea to try and get "Jason's" story to the media, and I'd be willing to reach out to media outlets about it.

Christine - I think this is a great idea. Also set up our own LE contact. I will be more help next week after things settle down at my house and the kids are settled into the school routine.

Until, I will just be busy trying to stay on top of what everyone else is doing and contribute when I can.

Salem

OHHHHHH! Just dawned on me, we have a forum! THANK YOU!!!!

Salem

I sent Norfolk, VA a note re: a possible match (see possible match thread.) I think the guy has already been ruled out but I'll see if I can establish a relationship with the detective once they respond. Maybe they'll be okay with sending information to us after I beg! Does anyone else have an LE contact? Maybe fmw63 already does?

I sent Norfolk, VA a note re: a possible match (see possible match thread.) I think the guy has already been ruled out but I'll see if I can establish a relationship with the detective once they respond. Maybe they'll be okay with sending information to us after I beg! Does anyone else have an LE contact? Maybe fmw63 already does?

I don't.:chicken: But I think the lead ME is Cynthia Morrison. Anybody want to call? 1-800-447-1706 Getting the phone number from the note would be real helpful.:)

As far as being able to obtain an ME report, I did some googling about it and I found this website : http://virginiamedicalexaminer.com/

In Virginia, the records of the medical examiner are deemed to be medical records and, as such, fall under statutory protection. Therefore, only the legal next of kin in the following priority may receive copies of reports: spouse, adult child, parent, adult sibling, any other relative of the deceased. In cases where criminal prosecution is anticipated, those involving unnatural death and certain other cases, copies of reports will be sent to law enforcement agencies and to the local commonwalth’s attorney. A written release from the legal next of kin is required for reports to be sent to other interested parties, such as insurance companies or private attorneys.

If this information is correct, does it apply to cases where there is no known next of kin? Does anyone know what steps were taken to obtain a copy of Tawni's/MJD's ME report? (Does Arizona have similar regulations and someone found a way around them?)

I am sorry but I should of posted my updated links into this thread, maybe we could just add mine to the bottom of this one?

I emailed the Virginal Medical Examiner about a possible match with Daniel Sheppard and I will let everyone know if he gets ruled in or out as a possibility.

P.

I don't.:chicken: But I think the lead ME is Cynthia Morrison. Anybody want to call? 1-800-447-1706 Getting the phone number from the note would be real helpful.:)

I thought we did have the number on the note? :crazy: But, I could be totally wrong. Will try to search....crazy busy on the forums, sorry I haven't been here much.

I am trying to keep up with so many cases, forgive me. For some reason, this one is particulary on my heart lately.

I want to find out who has been 100% ruled out by ME, and get a list together of all that you have mentioned to do more research to see if submittal is needed and also follow up on who has been submitted. I also want the complete phone #, (we still do not have?).

I have been MIA for personal reasons...have jumped in and out and tried to organize...things are really disorganized, by NO fault of anyone...easy to do.

I think we need a sub forum for possibles.

We really need to get things in prospective threads....if you are thinking of a particular match, start a thread in poss matches forum ( I am getting ready to set up)....so we can follow thoughts, progress, research, submittion if needed.. :D

Hi All -

After discussing this case with Christine on Tuesday night, I have agreed to help coordinate and facilitate the search for Grateful Doe's identify.

To that end, I sent the following email to the ME's office this morning:

Medical Examiner:

I am a volunteer with an organization that advocates for families of the missing. We also work with law enforcement to try and identify the 57 thousand UID's in the US at last count. We participate in the Department of Justice initiative to standardize databases and collect DNA from missing persons, we establish vigils, work with the media to keep stories alive-you name it, we are footsoldiers.

We have been working toward identifying this young man and have previously submitted a few possible names with negative results. But we intend to continue working to find this young man's name. You may find a discussion of the work that has been done by our group at http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=172. In an effort to better organize and consolidate our efforts we are hoping that you can answer the following questions for us:

1. Do you have assigned personnel for this case that we may contact directly? Email is the preferrable method of contact, but phone calls are also used. Lighting the Way Home (LTWH) is committed to establishing a case manager for a specific unidentified person and generally all contacts will be with that case manager. This helps reduce the time officials spend on responding to questions, requests for information and possible matches and allows LTWH to track the progress of the case.
2. Is this young man's DNA in Codis?
3. Do you have fingerprints on file?
4. Do you have dental records on file?
5. Do you have a list of missing persons that have been ruled out as a possible match that you can share with us?
6. Is there any other information you might be able to share with us that may help us in the search?
7. Is there anything we can do for you that may help in the identification of this young man and getting him returned to his family.

Thank in advance for your attention and if there is anything specific we can do to assist you, do not hesitate.

Kindest regards,
Salem
Lighting the Way Home

I will let everyone know when (and if) I hear something back from them. Please let me or Christine know if you have any questions, comments, suggestions, etc. of if you would like to coordinate/facilitate a branch of this search or the search for another UID. We can use all the help we can get :).

Patience has worked hard in submitting the AU UID (I really thought that was a match based on the pictures) and it was disappointing to receive a "no match" response. So, the search goes on.........

I now have to go through and read all the threads to make sure I am on top of all the great research and efforts that have been expended in this case.

Salem

Great work, Salem! I'm anxious to hear what they have to say. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Thanks Shecky! No word back today. I have to remember I'm on the west coast and 3 hours behind them. Crossing my fingers for tomorrow!

Salem

Hi Everyone,

I have read this forum for years but never joined. It great!

I have also followed this case, it was of great interest because the accident accured less than 30 minutes from where I grew up. Almost has a hometown feel to me.

One thing bothers me is the description of the teeth. I see a lot of places describe him as having perfect teeth; however I believe the original statement was he had "all of his teeth". I don't remember a statement about the condition of the teeth back then. I suspect the statement he had all of his teeth has been changed over the years to he had perfect teeth, two completely different interpretations.

What does everyone else remember?

Hi Everyone,

I have read this forum for years but never joined. It great!

I have also followed this case, it was of great interest because the accident accured less than 30 minutes from where I grew up. Almost has a hometown feel to me.

One thing bothers me is the description of the teeth. I see a lot of places describe him as having perfect teeth; however I believe the original statement was he had "all of his teeth". I don't remember a statement about the condition of the teeth back then. I suspect the statement he had all of his teeth has been changed over the years to he had perfect teeth, two completely different interpretations.

What does everyone else remember?

I thought when I first read about this case it said "no restorations" regarding the teeth. I took it to mean his teeth were not cared for, but i guess it could be the opposite.

Rhyno,

You are correct, I remember reading he had all of his teeth and they showed no signs of restoration. I too took that to mean they were not cared for.

Fantastic Salem.

No answers I suppose? Maybe a follow up phone call?

I posted in another area on here tonight a few suggestions on who to contact (before I saw this!). I believe maybe contacting LE that has worked this case?

Salem,

I found an article, I just posted in media thread...it has the name of the detective who worked this case...has he been contacted?

Quote:
Sgt. Ted E. Jones

Jones, who was the Virginia State trooper who handled the case in 1995

He is now a sergeant in the Richmond office but has not forgotten the case, which he still hopes to solve.

I bet he has the whole case file and maybe will share entire phone # and all that have been ruled out? Also, maybe he can give us more info on the tickets. Also, states in the article they have DNA, BUT is it in CODIS??

It would also be nice to get his stats straight from LE.

I am happy to make the contact...or Salem? Let me know?

LOL! Maybe we should merge "regroup" and "read here before taking action"..sometimes we have too much and things get too confusing...sometimes we don't have enough spread out and things get confusing. Can't win fer losin'.

Rhyno,

You are correct, I remember reading he had all of his teeth and they showed no signs of restoration. I too took that to mean they were not cared for.

I read he had "perfect teeth"...no restorations to me means they had no fillings, dentures, partials, all his teeth in good condition. I happen to be going to the dentist this week, I will inquire.

ETA..found it..on this forum (they also mention he had no alcohol or drugs in his system, not sure whom the poster is)

He had perfect teeth never having had any dental repairs.

There were no drugs nor alcohol found in his system at the time of the accident.

http://icaremissingpersonscoldcases.yuku.com/topic/892

Thanks Shecky! No word back today. I have to remember I'm on the west coast and 3 hours behind them. Crossing my fingers for tomorrow!

Salem

I've heard nothing back from the ME as of yet. I will call them Monday. I wanted to call them today - but I have a house full of people and can't hear myself think :crazy:

So Monday it is!!!!!

Salem

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth