David Duchovny enters rehab... say it isn't so, Mulder...

Elphaba

Defying Gravity...
Reaction score
David Duchovny, best known for portraying Fox Mulder in The X Files, has entered rehab for a sex addiction. :(

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26446132/

I do remember that the character of "Mulder" was in to *advertiser censored*, big time(mags and movies)... kind of makes you ponder where David ended and Mulder began. I am wishing him and Tea the best... I was kind of shocked when I read the blurb on MSNBC. Hopefully he will get the help he needs and his marriage with Tea will stay on solid ground...

David Duchovny, best known for portraying Fox Mulder in The X Files, has entered rehab for a sex addiction. :(

I do remember that the character of "Mulder" was in to *advertiser censored*, big time(mags and movies)... kind of makes you ponder where David ended and Mulder began. I am wishing him and Tea the best... I was kind of shocked when I read the blurb on MSNBC. Hopefully he will get the help he needs and his marriage with Tea will stay on solid ground...

I'm not surprised. I recently read that he was getting busy with his tennis instructor. I love him and Tea and their family and hope they will weather this storm. My prayers for all of them.

I've always liked Tea; didn't care much for David but I wish him success in his recovery and also wish the best for Tea and the kids.

Did you know that he used to star in the Red Shoe Diaries? (Not that I ever saw them):rolleyes: I read it on IMDB.

I've always liked Tea; didn't care much for David but I wish him success in his recovery and also wish the best for Tea and the kids.
Blech...I'm the opposite, i always liked him, never liked her.

I wish them all the best.

imho

Color me really naive but how in the world would you treat a sex addict?

Isn't it all in the brain? It has to do with chemicals in being released right?

What could the clinic do for David? Teach him how to widdle to take his mind off of sex? Perhaps basket weaving would do the trick.

Don't get it. Chime in if anyone does.

Did you know that he used to star in the Red Shoe Diaries? (Not that I ever saw them):rolleyes: I read it on IMDB.

I remember my husband telling me this when David was on the x-files, although I don't know if IMDB was his source!:eek: He really does the hypersexual role on Californication with ease, I hope his family can withstand this, it's got to be devastating for his wife. It reminds me of Eric Benet and Halle Berry. Part of me wants to believe that it is simply a matter of the man keeping it in his pants, but I guess addiction is addiction, and it is not as simple as that for some people. I don't know what would be worst, a partner who is just a selfish jerk or one who just doesn't have control of their compulsions. Either one would be difficult.

Man, I had such a huge crush on him when I was 12-14.

..Awkward....

But I hope he gets help for his issues.

What could the clinic do for David? Teach him how to widdle to take his mind off of sex? Perhaps basket weaving would do the trick.

I ponder the same thing, Tricia. Maybe it is intensive therapy, perhaps?

I ponder the same thing, Tricia. Maybe it is intensive therapy, perhaps?

Very well could be Elphaba. Sorry, I was very flip in my post. I am sure it is not funny to people who suffer from this. My ignorance is showing through.

The man I know who was treated for sex addiction was using *advertiser censored* to avoid dealing with other issues in his life, like his relationship with his ex-wife, their children, his parents and his current wife. He wasn't actually sleeping with anyone else but he spent literally thousands of dollars a month on *advertiser censored*, both print and online, plus 900 lines. The straw that broke the camel's back was when his wife discovered he'd max'd out two $15K credit cards and they were denied a home equity loan because he'd fallen behind on mortgage payments.

Going into residential treatment cut off his access to *advertiser censored* and forced him to concentrate on the emotional issues he had been avoiding. For the first two weeks it was intensive therapy for him. For the last two weeks it was intensive therapy with his current wife and with his ex-wife and children. They had to learn how to communicate, ground rules for dealing with each other (like "no badmouthing the other parent to the children"), etc.

He also had to learn how to be a father to pre-teens because he'd allowed his addiction to *advertiser censored* get between him and his children.

It wasn't exactly a happily ever after ending; his second wife divorced him. But he did re-build his relationship to his children and develop a civil relationship with his first ex-wife, which was really important for the children.

It wasn't exactly a happily ever after ending; his second wife divorced him. But he did re-build his relationship to his children and develop a civil relationship with his first ex-wife, which was really important for the children.[/quote] By Grainne Dhu

I think sometimes pre-existing relationships can be necessary casualties to getting better. This is definitely not always the case but I can imagine with sexual addiction, the significant partner would have double the resentment and hurt given that those addicted are compulsively seeking something that the spouse or s.o. presumably is already giving them. Being the loved ones to anybody who is addicted is incredibly difficult, but separating the hurt resulting from this type of addiction to me seems that it would be even harder.
Anyhow, it sounds like your friend has come a long way, so congratulations to him, and thank you for sharing. It was insightful to hear about a real case of sexual addiction, and how destructive it indeed can be.

The man I know who was treated for sex addiction was using *advertiser censored* to avoid dealing with other issues in his life, like his relationship with his ex-wife, their children, his parents and his current wife. He wasn't actually sleeping with anyone else but he spent literally thousands of dollars a month on *advertiser censored*, both print and online, plus 900 lines. The straw that broke the camel's back was when his wife discovered he'd max'd out two $15K credit cards and they were denied a home equity loan because he'd fallen behind on mortgage payments.

Going into residential treatment cut off his access to *advertiser censored* and forced him to concentrate on the emotional issues he had been avoiding. For the first two weeks it was intensive therapy for him. For the last two weeks it was intensive therapy with his current wife and with his ex-wife and children. They had to learn how to communicate, ground rules for dealing with each other (like "no badmouthing the other parent to the children"), etc.

He also had to learn how to be a father to pre-teens because he'd allowed his addiction to *advertiser censored* get between him and his children.

It wasn't exactly a happily ever after ending; his second wife divorced him. But he did re-build his relationship to his children and develop a civil relationship with his first ex-wife, which was really important for the children.

Again, my apologies for making light of this illness.

Now that you explain it this is all very clear. It's like any addicition. It is only a sympton of the problem. The problem runs deep.

,Like a jerk I assumed it was only phsyical but in reality, like any addiction, it has an emotional core.

Tricia

Well, it starts out with...um...never mind, I don't know what you're talking about! :innocent:

I remember his wife saying that when she met him she liked the fact that he had a reputation in Hollywood for having an insatiable sex drive, then when they got together she said it wasn't so. So now that it appears he does, does that mean he just didn't with her? :waitasec: And how could he not, she's hot!

I wonder if it has to do with the adrenaline rush of being secretive or being with someone that he really doesn't know?

"David Duchovny, why don't you love me?"

Sorry now I have that song stuck in my head.

Hoping Mr. Duchovny gets all the help he needs and his family makes it through this tough time.

BTW, I saw him on some talk show recently and he looked awful. Sad.

Well, it starts out with...um...never mind, I don't know what you're talking about! :innocent:

I remember his wife saying that when she met him she liked the fact that he had a reputation in Hollywood for having an insatiable sex drive, then when they got together she said it wasn't so. So now that it appears he does, does that mean he just didn't with her? :waitasec: And how could he not, she's hot!

From what I have heard, they need more and more stimulation from *advertiser censored* to do anything IRL. And frustration in the bedroom leads to seeking more and more graphic *advertiser censored* or risky sex to become stimulated.

We had a mission at church and the priest who spoke said we would be stunned to know how many men, women, and teens he counsels on a regular basis with this problem. He said it is worse than alcohol, drugs, "regular" marital infidelity, and people who confess to crimes all put together. Apparently many of the priests are having to seek their own counseling to cope with hearing these confessions.

It totally creeped me out.

Addiction is addiction. Food addiction, gambling addiction, sex addiction, heroin addiction and alcohol addiction are all treated in essentially the same manner - detox, self-discovery of root causes, rebuilding and creating an ongoing support network for a new way of living. The substance is not the issue.

Again, my apologies for making light of this illness.

No, no, I thought you were just puzzled and being a bit self-deprecating over it.

Now that you explain it this is all very clear. It's like any addicition. It is only a sympton of the problem. The problem runs deep.

,Like a jerk I assumed it was only phsyical but in reality, like any addiction, it has an emotional core.

So far as I understand it from the man I know who was treated, it's a lot like compulsive gambling or at least that's what it was like for him. He said that what really drove him was just acquiring *advertiser censored*, not really the physical act of masturbation. As soon as he bought one magazine or found a new website to subscribe to, he was already thinking about the next one.

It's probably somewhat different for people who compulsively have sex with people outside of their long term relationship but in the end, it's as you say: an emotional problem and mental illness.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back