NC NC - Bruce Myers, 59, Surf City, 1 June 1974

zelmajane

Reaction score
I was looking for something else earlier and came across this article.

There has only ever been one confirmed town in my town. That was in 2002. Then someone brought up Bruce Myers who was found dead of apparent drowning.

The thing is, he didn't swim. There was no reason for him to be in the water to start with. Not likely that he fell in. They suspect foul play and maybe a bit of cover up.

Here is the thing- I live in this town. There are still a ton of old timers who I enjoy having a beer with on a regular basis. So tonight, I'm going to ask questions and see who says what.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20080319/NEWS/803190424

I started poking around a bit, and no one can really recall it so far.

I find that odd, considering one of the men I was asking was the police chief in the connecting town. Then again, he didn't tell me to shut up and not ask questions either, like he could and would have if he thought I was getting in over my head.

I am so exited!

I had a friend over using my fax machine.

The printed out story was in the printer. He said "I think Bruce is related to KM. I swear I've heard him tell a story like that before. You need to talk to him!"

I didn't think he would be related to someone I knew!

Just have to get KM's email or wait for their return to town.

:woohoo:

I could NOT find this mans SS death information, and that was irritating me.

The first article has his name spelled incorrectly. My lead probably will not work out.

He is Bruce Meyers. THIS helps though!

I found a picture of him

gallery

Here is the correct article that I took the picture from.

http://www.enctoday.com/news/meyers_55564_jdn__article.html/police_surf.html

Unfortunately, the picture is copyrighted and will not post over. I have saved it on my computer just in case we can't access it later. Just click on the link to see it.

The thing is, he didn't swim. There was no reason for him to be in the water to start with. Not likely that he fell in. They suspect foul play and maybe a bit of cover up.

Hi zelmajane,
This case is interesting. After reaading all the posts and the articles links I have a question. I don't know anything about oyster beds or the area where you live at all. I noticed in one article they quote the daughter as saying she has thought of the possibility that her father could have wandered into the water and drowned due to being drunk. That really doesn't sound likely because of what the rescuers said about the body. But, is the place where he was found anywhere remotely somewhere a person would likely wander or fall into the water on their own? I guess a problem with that would be the body floating possibly a good ways from where it entered the water. That's why I'm asking about the oyster bed. Is an oyster bed something a body is likely to get hung up on when the person drowns. I know nothing about them, which I'm sure that's obvious.

Also, have you found out anything else?

Carrie- We do have oyster beds everywhere. It is the kind of thing someone could get hung on.

The more I ask people about this case, the more I want to mind my own business about it. The head island officer, who's death date I believe to be November of 1973 (he went by a nick name, so it's hard to figure out) committed suicide due to possible corruption. Some people have said "Oh, he would have never killed himself, he liked himself too well." Others have said "I know the people that responded, he did it to himself." I didn't expect to open other doors, but I have.

Anyway, Mr. Meyers. I have heard "Well, he was just part of the rough crowd so it wasn't much of a loss. The police decided that was one less person they had to worry with." I can see that, BUT HE WAS HUMAN. He had a family! I am just glad that people I know remember it happening, that really helps. Everything was so corrupt then.

Well, unfortunately all the links are now broken. I’m curious as to the details and any updates.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back