DNA not confirmed?

icherish

Reaction score
I'm confused about something.

I have been under the impression LE's announcement on Sunday meant they identified hair from a decomposing body found in the trunk as belonging to Caylee through DNA. But in looking through news reports...LE actually stated they have "information"- not specifically naming DNA.

Orange County investigators acknowledged that recent FBI lab tests confirmed that Caylee Anthony's body was in her mother's trunk and that the child is dead.
"The information we've gotten back from the lab that she was in the trunk of that car and that she is dead is certainly something we take seriously," said Orange County Sheriff's Office Sgt. John Allen.

My question is, what exactly is the information...is it DNA or not? Last night on NG, N made a point that having a hair match does not mean they have a DNA match...causing further confusion. DNA is absolute. There can be error with hair matching...but not DNA matching.

This is really bugging me. Thoughts?

Thoughts?

I posted this in another thread yesterday. It may answer your question.

Originally posted in thread "Those compelling reasons for silence." Post # 42.

Most likely, the DNA extracted was mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) because of the likely possibility of degradation of any nuclear DNA found in the trunk of that car. The temperature in the trunk was high enough to degrade the nuclear DNA after only a short time. Mitochondrial DNA would be more likely to be extracted after such a temperature extreme. If mtDNA was extracted and analyzed it could be said to be Caylee's or Casey's but:

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/lab/fsc/backis...0/deedric1.htm

"When hairs originate from a body in a state of decomposition, a dark band may appear near the root of the hair. This characteristic has been labeled a postmortem root band."

This band is microscopically observed. It may or may not appear postmortem but never appears in samples taken from a live subject.

If this dark band was also observed in the hair strands found in the trunk it rules out Casey because she is very much alive.

ETA: Mitochondrial DNA is not conclusively linked to one person. It is passed from one's mother. My mitochondrial DNA is exactly like my mothers. Nuclear DNA is the DNA that is unique to each individual...extracted from the nucleus of the cell. The reason the confirmation is sounding "wishy washy" is, most likely, due to the fact that mitochondrial DNA is what was extracted from evidence in the trunk.

nevermind. person below clarified. edited to remove misleading question.

I have also wondered about this.

Before the information was confirmed, it was reported that the hair in the trunk was "scientifically linked" to Caylee.

I have wondered if it's possible the hair could belong to Caylee's biological father. In that case, it would be "scientifically linked" to Caylee.

I think it's highly unlikely the hair belongs to anyone other than Caylee, but I think investigators are going out of their way to be vague.

First they went by length and color....unless Caylee's dad has that length hair.... I'd say that rules that out

JMO

Thank you. I didn't know there was specific information about the link.

Thanks, Marina. The mtDNA explanation makes sense. It's interesting though that LE hasn't mentioned DNA specifically, we are all just hypothesizing that's what it is.

Thanks, Marina. The mtDNA explanation makes sense. It's interesting though that LE hasn't mentioned DNA specifically, we are all just hypothesizing that's what it is.

Bold is mine.

That is correct. DNA is never mentioned by LE. Alluded too maybe but not stated as fact.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,414844,00.html

"(FBI) laboratory evidence, along with additional evidence that has not been made public, leads investigators to the belief there is a strong probability that Caylee is deceased," the sheriff's office told the AP on Monday. "If any evidence to the contrary is provided, it will be vigorously pursued."

I am thinking (hoping) that this additional evidence is DNA of some type.

From the same article LP is quoted as saying:

"The new charges, increased security concerns and some of the new DNA evidence that’s come in put the bond at risk," Padilla said in a telephone interview with FOXNews.com.

This is the only reference to DNA specifically that I can find! Definitely not confirmed.

ETA: If anyone has a source where DNA is confirmed by LE will you please post the link. Thanks.

I agree that this is all confusing. With all of the rights to lie or not that LE has, I have just about decided that I dont believe anything I hear at all on this case anymore! I was thinking today about how sometimes they play a person is dead in order to get the killers and it just reminded me that they can report anything they want to. I just have to say that if it ends up that LE has made Caylee out to be dead and it turns out she is not, that I think a horrible thing has been done. This case has had liars from day one and we have been going back and forth with all of the different statements. It is no wonder Cindy and George are confused. I also think that Baez should not be able to sleep at night if he has not taken the immunity deal just so that he can continue the challenge of trying this case. If there is something he could have accepted and saved Casey from a worse fate in the future, and he chose not to just so he could go fight the trial, then I think it is horrible. I have not seen LE confirm the DNA as of yet, just the subtle hints. I find myself wondering if Casey is just pure crazy or if she is pure evil. All of her friends, acquaintances said good things about her, good things about her parenting. They admitted she lies and they had learned to live with that. They speak of what a good friend she was. I sit here and watch her on the news and her eyes. Evil or crazy? I cannot decide at all! Her lawyer has even stated repeatedly that she is smart, not crazy and should he be doing that if he ends up having to plead for insanity? LP said she was short on facilities, lol. I wonder if there was a change in her after Caylee was gone or if she has always smiled and acted like she acts now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back