Oprah balks at Hosting Palin

PoppyMcTwist

Reaction score
BIG DILEMMA: OPRAH BALKS AT HOSTING SARAH PALIN; STAFF DIVIDED
Fri Sep 05 2008 08:55:46 ET

Oprah Winfrey may have introduced Democrat Barack Obama to the women of America -- but the talkshow queen is not rushing to embrace the first woman on a Republican presidential ticket!

Oprah's staff is sharply divided on the merits of booking Sarah Palin, sources tell the DRUDGE REPORT.

"Half of her staff really wants Sarah Palin on," an insider explains. "Oprah's website is getting tons of requests to put her on, but Oprah and a couple of her top people are adamantly against it because of Obama."

One executive close to Winfrey is warning any Palin ban could ignite a dramatic backlash!

It is not clear if Oprah has softened her position after watching Palin's historic convention speech.

Last year, Winfrey blocked an appearance by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, timed to a promotional tour of his autobiography.

Oprah and executive producer Sheri Salata, who has contributed thousands of dollars to Obama's campaign, refused requests for comment.

Developing... :mad:

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash3os.htm

It's her talk show - she can do what she wants. So can I - I don't need to watch a biased show like hers.

It's her talk show - she can do what she wants. So can I - I don't need to watch a biased show like hers.

I agree. She is a talk show host, nothing more. If she can't be fair to both political sides, I won't watch her. I really don't care what her political views are.

I'm sorry but your source is the drudge report and someone has the nerve to talk about bias talk shows?

There are reports that the plan is for Sarah Palin to have no press contacts, no Meet the Press, no Face the Nation, no press conferences for the duration of the campaign. Certainly we have seen nothing of her since the announcement of her selection. Perhaps the campaign would not want her answering questions on Oprah's show either?

There are reports that the plan is for Sarah Palin to have no press contacts, no Meet the Press, no Face the Nation, no press conferences for the duration of the campaign. Certainly we have seen nothing of her since the announcement of her selection. Perhaps the campaign would not want her answering questions on Oprah's show either?

Ummm -it's only been two days, and she has been kind of busy with a convention.

I'm sorry but your source is the drudge report and someone has the nerve to talk about bias talk shows?

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

The reports are all over the place, not just drudge, although, as is often the case, they were the first to come out with this. Oprah speaks out of both sides of her mouth. She doesn't want to have any candidates on during the campaign, yet she has had Obama on twice. And don't tell me it was before he announced - that is splitting hairs, as he was a presumptive candidate for the nomination when he did her shows.

She had Obama on twice before he was the nominee if I am not mistaken. Oprah is a talk show host, not a news reporter. She can host whoever she wishes, IMO.

She had Obama on twice before he was the nominee if I am not mistaken. Oprah is a talk show host, not a news reporter. She can host whoever she wishes, IMO.

Queen Poprah is a talk show host with alot of loot and too much power.

Indeed she can host whoever she wants. Now, let America see the real deal with this woman. As Robin said she talks out both sides of her mouth.

I've always been bothered that politicians even go on the entertainment shows such as Oprah, Letterman, Leno, etc. (I don't watch these show, but I know that the candidates go on them.) I don't like entertainment and politics mixing like that, and I think the best platforms for politicians to get their message out to the public are the campaign trail, the conventions, and the debates. I really dislike how invasive the entertainment media has become, injecting themselves into all areas of life. The politicians should not go along with it, IMO. Politicians are not celebrities. They are vying for political offices in which they will be undertaking very serious responsibilities. Entertainment media should be about entertainment. Nothing more.

I'm so over Oprah! I don't care who's on her show, I just don't watch it.

Oprah who?? I've never liked her. I tried to watch her a long time ago when she first got the show. I didn't like her then and I don't like her now. When I see the promo clips it seems like she just does the same stuff over and over. I really don't get all the hype about her. :confused:

And yes, I am female. :)

Why would Sarah Palin lower herself to go on a celebrity talk show?
I'm hoping she has enough class to avoid all of them, ET, Inside Edtion, People magazine etc..

Oprah is a hypocrite.

I've always been bothered that politicians even go on the entertainment shows such as Oprah, Letterman, Leno, etc. (I don't watch these show, but I know that the candidates go on them.) I don't like entertainment and politics mixing like that, and I think the best platforms for politicians to get their message out to the public are the campaign trail, the conventions, and the debates. I really dislike how invasive the entertainment media has become, injecting themselves into all areas of life. The politicians should not go along with it, IMO. Politicians are not celebrities. They are vying for political offices in which they will be undertaking very serious responsibilities. Entertainment media should be about entertainment. Nothing more.

Excellent comments. I'm never going to let any entertainer influence my politics. The entertainment industry sort of bothers me with their fiddling around in political matters. Ronald Reagan is one thing ... Oprah, Letterman, Leno .. that's something else entirely.

I don't watch any of them! :)

Isn't there an FCC rule about equal airtime for candidates on a show? I think there was something out there about how Law&Order cut back from running episodes with Fred Thompson during the time that his hat was placed into the campaign arena... it was supposedly based on that rule.

In this day of 24/7 coverage, the line between news and entertainment is so blurry as to be unreadable. On "news channels" you have "news shows" and you also have "talk shows" where opinion is expressed. Viewers often don't discern the difference. People really need to take more responsibility for being critical thinkers and not just following the masses. That's what really bugs me about the celebrity worship of Obama - I imagine a good number of people who support him cannot tell you why they support him. They just saw that their favorite celebrity supports him and that is good enough for them. But I am sure that happens on both sides of the aisle.

That being said, the responsibility really falls on all of us average joes to discern true information from titillating entertainment. The media wants ratings, and they will do and say anything to get them. I don't really believe there is responsibility in journalism anymore.

I've never watched Oprah's show (except for a short clip once on You Tube with the James Frey whipping) and I doubt I ever will because she doesn't interest me, but it's her show - she can bring who she wants on.

I agree with everyone that it's Oprah's show and she can have whoever she pleases on that show. I'm just a little disappointed in her. I don't watch her show (I have to work) but what I know of her I thought she was above that. If she's so afraid that giving Sarah Palin air time is going to take away some votes from Obama then she must not be so sure that Obama is the man for the job.

:confused:

Oh, and nothing turns me off more than a celebrity trying to influence who people vote for (George Clooney).

I think Oprah can do what whatever she wants. (ah, there she has my permission, LOL) Obama was last on in October 2006, before he announced.

On the other hand, I would love to see Palin have to face someone like Oprah who wouldnt' back off asking the hard questions. If the McCain camp has truly said she won't be doing interviews at all, well then, that is just wrong. Having Palin on a show like Oprah's would let people get a good look and maybe would wake some people up to what she really is about.

I think Oprah can do what whatever she wants. (ah, there she has my permission, LOL) Obama was last on in October 2006, before he announced.

On the other hand, I would love to see Palin have to face someone like Oprah who wouldnt' back off asking the hard questions. If the McCain camp has truly said she won't be doing interviews at all, well then, that is just wrong. Having Palin on a show like Oprah's would let people get a good look and maybe would wake some people up to what she really is about.

Oprah has shown herself to be too insecure to let that interview ever happen.
JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back