Electronics - Free to Good Home

Ntegrity

Former Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a new all-in-one printer so I now have a scanner I'm not using. It's a UMAX Astra 1220P.

I also have an Epson Stylus Color 400 printer that seems to have a messed up print head. The color works fine but the black print has streaks through it. I've tried the utility for cleaning the print head and replaced the black ink cartridge but there's still no improvement. I don't know if the problem is repairable or not. Any electronics gurus interested?

Both these items are free to anyone willing to pay shipping costs from zip code 32578. Not sure of weight but will get an estimate to an interested party.

Hi Ntegrity.

This would be a such wonderful gift to a special needs school, hospice or similar institution near you. They would gladly send someone around to collect and I know they'd be delighted to receive something that would save a few $ from their donated funds. You might also bring much happiness to one more needy soul.

Just a thought.

Hi Ntegrity,

If you decide not to donate the scanner to a local organization, I would be happy to pay the shipping costs. I had that same scanner you mention and overused it until it fried. That was some time ago and I have never been able to replace it. (Since I am pretty new to WS, I do not know how to private message yet).

snorky said:
Hi Ntegrity,

If you decide not to donate the scanner to a local organization, I would be happy to pay the shipping costs. I had that same scanner you mention and overused it until it fried. That was some time ago and I have never been able to replace it. (Since I am pretty new to WS, I do not know how to private message yet).

Snorky's as needy a soul as mentioned.

Snorky: If you 'click' on the poster's name you will receive a menu of 'options'. One of them gives you the option to 'send a pvt msg to *advertiser censored*'

Click on that bar ... and away you go!

Try that.

Hopefully you'll soon be the new owner of this printer!

Good luck.

Annie

PSA - Thank you for the instructions. I need more than the scanner and all help is appreciated! :)

snorky said:
PSA - Thank you for the instructions. I need more than the scanner and all help is appreciated! :)
Snorky, the scanner is yours. I'll hold it until I hear back from you.

Thanks for the ideas, Annie. Unless someone knows how to repair the printer, it's probably not worth donating. Repairs would likely cost more than a new printer ... especially since they've become so affordable.

Here is some helpful info...

http://www.maxpatchink.com/epsonclean.shtml

Epson Print Head Cleaning Cartridges and Cleaning Solution Kit
(scroll down to bottom of page for 'Cleaning Solution Kit')

Prolong the life of the print head in your Epson printer with 'regular' cleaning!

If your printer won't print 'right' and you KNOW you've got working cartridges... your print head is clogged (or getting that way). You can easily fix that!

Signs of a 'clogged' print head:

White lines occur when printing documents or pictures.
Indistinctness or broken lines occur in the nozzle check pattern.
Ink just doesn't come out during printing.
Printer is used again after a long period of non-use.
Having to perform a 'printhead cleaning cycle' more often than the usual one or two times!
Example of partially clogged print head:

How does this happen?

Epson printers have a high printing resolution (D.P.I. - dots per inch), this means that the printhead nozzles have to be manufactured much smaller than some of the other printer manufacturers' nozzles. The size of the actual nozzle hole is much smaller than the human hair and it does not take very much for them to clog. Epson Printers are prone to having ink dry in the printhead nozzles causing streaking and void areas and over time, rendering the printer useless. Just running the cleaning cycle is NOT enough!

Other common causes for head clogging are from infrequent use and not turning your printer off properly between uses (see our Epson printer tips page).

To help prevent that and restore clogged nozzles, use our cleaning cartridges or our Printhead Cleaning Solution Kit... it's a Much Cheaper alternative! Having it cleaned by a 'repair tech' typically costs $45+! You can clean it yourself!

All cleaning cartridges are not the same! Each cleaning cartridge and our Cleaning Solution used in the kit contains:

A Glycol based cleanser which rehydrates dried and clogged ink particles
A Cleaner solution that acts as a detergent, soaking the ink clogs away
Distilled Water. This is important as standard water contains minerals that can stick to the print channels and nozzles causing build-up and back-up.
Note: Even if your printer has no output at all (completely clogged print head), most can be "brought back" using our Printhead Cleaning Solution Kit. It's located near the bottom of this page. It can be used on all Epson™ printer models (except C80/82), it's just manually applied. You can view the simple instructions here (opens new window). This is NOT alcohol or Windex™, it is an ink-specific solvent that has proven to be safe and effective for use on Epson™ printheads. DO NOT use alcohol or Windex™ as they can and will ruin your printer.

Instructions for use are included with each cleaning cartridge.

*Note you can also find these cleaning cartridges listed along with our high quality Epson compatible ink cartridges.

If you can't find a cleaning cartridge for your printer model below, our Printhead Cleaning Solution Kit at the bottom of this page can be used. It covers all Epson printer models except the C80/82. It is just manually applied and there is no printer disassembly required.

* These are 'multi-use' cartridges (can be reused 3-4 times)!

The C80 and C82 cleaning cartrtidges are multi-use but you must put a piece of sticky-tape (scotch tape) over the outlet hole when finished with each use (remove before next use). Store in a sealed plastic baggie.

The cleaning solution for the Epson Stylus 400 Color appears to be only $7.55 and can be purchased on the site at the URL above. Seems like a relatively inexpensive fix and possibly a better alternative than just scrapping the poor little guy. :)

Babcat said:
The cleaning solution for the Epson Stylus 400 Color appears to be only $7.55 and can be purchased on the site at the URL above. Seems like a relatively inexpensive fix and possibly a better alternative than just scrapping the poor little guy. :)
Shucks ... too late. It went out in today's garbage. Thanks for trying. Wish I could've salvaged it.

Ohhhhhhh... what a bummer! :blushing: I should have checked out the thread sooner I guess. :banghead:

Now poor Eppy is headed to that big digital/technology-ridden/cyber-esque scrap pile in the sky. :( :boohoo:

Did you attempt to tag the poor thing with the paddles and yell "CLEAR!"...? :doh:

LMAO!! :laugh:

Babcat said:
Ohhhhhhh... what a bummer! :blushing: I should have checked out the thread sooner I guess. :banghead:

Now poor Eppy is headed to that big digital/technology-ridden/cyber-esque scrap pile in the sky. :( :boohoo:

Did you attempt to tag the poor thing with the paddles and yell "CLEAR!"...? :doh:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back