Newborn found at fire department

Filly

KICKING AND SHINING
Reaction score
An unidentied woman called police in Montgomery County, PA stating that a newborn could be found by the flag pole of a local fire department.

The baby boy was located and determined to be about an hour old.

Somewhere a woman or young girl gave birth, and at least had the common sense to call LE so the baby would be safe.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=6376280

Bless the woman and the baby! At least there was caring and concern rather than the ones who are just thrown away.

VB

I think they should leave her alone. She took the sweet little boy somewhere safe and then called to make sure that he would be found quickly. Good for her.

grr and they wonder why women dont use the safe haven law. this makes me wanna spit nails!

this mother, in particular, now knows she is being looked for. if she cared enough to call, she cares enough to see this in the paper.

i thought the point was to save babies, not hound women so they wont put them in a safe place and go on with their life.

Kudos to this woman. They should leave her alone because she did the right thing.

grr and they wonder why women dont use the safe haven law. this makes me wanna spit nails!

this mother, in particular, now knows she is being looked for. if she cared enough to call, she cares enough to see this in the paper.

i thought the point was to save babies, not hound women so they wont put them in a safe place and go on with their life.

:clap: amen! i thought the whole point of safe haven laws was to be able to drop off a baby NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

Ach, they are playing the call from the female who alerted these cops to the baby all over our local news.

It sounds like a young girl, but fairly common. The operator asks her questions and asks her to stay on the line and she says she doesn't want to. Polite.:waitasec: They are also asking for the father of the baby. Are ya freakinkiddinme?:rolleyes:

Baby is doing fine.

Ach, they are playing the call from the female who alerted these cops to the baby all over our local news.

It sounds like a young girl, but fairly common. The operator asks her questions and asks her to stay on the line and she says she doesn't want to. Polite.:waitasec: They are also asking for the father of the baby. Are ya freakinkiddinme?:rolleyes:

Baby is doing fine.

:furious:If they are going to treat the mom like this, what use are the Safe Haven laws? Other pregnant women in desperate situations are going to look at this and figure no way will they leave a baby to be found.:furious:

Apparently safe haven laws in PA are only for a mother to drop the infant off at a hospital. NOT a firehouse, or police station. So they are not counting this as a "safe haven" law. I have called the police, and talked to the detective working the case, and explained my concerns, only to be told that the safe haven law does not apply in this case, because he was dropped off at a firehouse, not a hospital.

And they expect everyone to know this? This woman probably thought she was abiding by the safe haven laws. It IS different in every state, but common explanations of the law say "fire station, police department, hospital". LEAVE THE WOMAN ALONE! She didn't kill her baby. In this world, that should be applauded.

I was under the understanding that a hospital, fire station, police station or even a church fell under the safe haven law... nationwide as long as the Safe Haven Law was in effect. I am (IMO) a well informed, rather intelligent, adult woman. This woman did the right thing. She should be applauded. Not just for saving her child but for setting an example to other women in her situation.

She did the right thing- most fire stations are manned by EMT's who would know what to do.

I was under the understanding that a hospital, fire station, police station or even a church fell under the safe haven law... nationwide as long as the Safe Haven Law was in effect. I am (IMO) a well informed, rather intelligent, adult woman. This woman did the right thing. She should be applauded. Not just for saving her child but for setting an example to other women in her situation.

I bolded the above section -- I agree with this completely! At least she didn't put the baby in a dumpster somewhere and leave it to die like so many do. Releasing her phone call is uncalled for, IMO. In Florida, the Safe Haven Law includes hospitals, police stations and fire departments (or at least I think it does).

Now, if someone would just let me adopt the baby it would be much appreciated. Sorry, we're trying to adopt and the wait is driving us crazy.

Thank goodness for Safe Haven laws! The baby is alive and that is what counts. The call should not be played, IMO.

Perhaps the police are concerned about her health. A young girl giving birth alone could suffer from complications. I think they are very wrong to make such a concerted effort to find her but I understand why. They should have just made an appeal on the local news or in the newspaper for the mother to come forward and not broadcast her phone call.

Here is the number you can call to complain about them. It will take you to police dispatch and you can ask for the detective that is handling the abandoned baby case.

610-279-1900

Actually in this case the Safe Haven law limits the drop off to a Hospital.. ( dumb I grant you ) and in this particular case the baby is safe and unharmed. The search for the parents and the repeated broadcasting of the situation including the phonecall is just going to deter more folks from using the safe haven laws..

Yes, Pennsylvania's Safe Haven law only states the child may be left with a hospital worker, no questions asked. However, in addition to taking the child, the hospital is obiligated to offer the mother health care related to the birth. I know of the first child left under Pa.'s Safe Haven law, the baby was adopted by a fine family and will live a safe and happy life.

This young lady should be applauded for doing what she felt was right, unlike this one I just read about: :mad:

MIAMI - .... an abandoned newborn baby hidden beneath a plant in Miami after a 19-year-old woman went to the hospital with heavy bleeding.
The woman ... denied giving birth...but doctors notified police to look for an infant after examining her.
The child was found ... its umbilical cord and placenta still attached.
A fire-rescue crew took the baby girl to Jackson Memorial Hospital, where doctors removed part of the plant stuck in her throat. She was hospitalized in serious condition, and charges were pending against the mother.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sfl-0909miamibaby,0,7494815.story

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back