UK UK - County Durham, Male 1079UMUK, 40-65, washed ashore, May'06

anne11

Reaction score
Hi, if there is already a thread on this case forgive me!

I am interested in this case because I grew up 20 miles from where this man was found.
The details of the case are; may 13th 2006 body found on beach, had been in the water several weeks, it was established to be the remains of a man aged 40-65years, 5'11" in height, wearing only slipper socks with tiny rubberized feet on them and Campers pelotas ariel shoes size 11 (they are a spanish brand usually sold on the internet retailing at £100) of which the soles were cracked due to wear. He had several teeth missing, and heart diesease. From a tissue sample it was possible to tell that he lived in northern europe but not scandinavia and that he had bed on a restricted diet for serveral years (will try to contact university for more details on that).

Police think may have been wash over from mainland europe, got to say I don't think that is possible as prevailing wind is westerly, perhaps he fell from a boat, as there is a ferry operating between North Shields and the Netherlands, and a lot of fishing vessels operating in that part of the north sea
Anyone got ideas on this case? The police cannot match him to anyone missing in the UK (but unfortunately thats not unusual). I will try other european 'missing' sites. Thanks for reading my long-winded post :)

another link to the case;
http://www.qub.ac.uk/eerc/people/ac...Constabulary_Appeals_SEAHAM BEACH MYSTERY.pdf

Hi, if there is already a thread on this case forgive me!

I am interested in this case because I grew up 20 miles from where this man was found.
The details of the case are; may 13th 2006 body found on beach, had been in the water several weeks, it was established to be the remains of a man aged 40-65years, 5'11" in height, wearing only slipper socks with tiny rubberized feet on them and Campers pelotas ariel shoes size 11 (they are a spanish brand usually sold on the internet retailing at £100) of which the soles were cracked due to wear. He had several teeth missing, and heart diesease. From a tissue sample it was possible to tell that he lived in northern europe but not scandinavia and that he had bed on a restricted diet for serveral years (will try to contact university for more details on that).

Police think may have been wash over from mainland europe, got to say I don't think that is possible as prevailing wind is westerly, perhaps he fell from a boat, as there is a ferry operating between North Shields and the Netherlands, and a lot of fishing vessels operating in that part of the north sea
Anyone got ideas on this case? The police cannot match him to anyone missing in the UK (but unfortunately thats not unusual). I will try other european 'missing' sites. Thanks for reading my long-winded post :)

another link to the case;
http://www.qub.ac.uk/eerc/people/ac...Constabulary_Appeals_SEAHAM BEACH MYSTERY.pdf

Hello Anne! Can you explain exactly where he was found? I see you're from France but was this UID was located in the UK? Just trying to narrow it down. Thank you!

Hi, he was found in Seaham, County Durham, UK. I'm from Hartlepool we moved to france some time ago. The investigators seem to belive he was from the european mainland, I reaaly don't think it was possible for him to be washed over from say Germany or the Netherlands. Bearing in mind the currents and time-scale.
Thank you for the interest.

Hi, he was found in Seaham, County Durham, UK. I'm from Hartlepool we moved to france some time ago. The investigators seem to belive he was from the european mainland, I reaaly don't think it was possible for him to be washed over from say Germany or the Netherlands. Bearing in mind the currents and time-scale.
Thank you for the interest.

Thank you, Anne! May I ask...what are your thoughts so far? Do you believe he is from the UK? I'm assuming his tooth loss existed prior to his passing? I'll check around, but would love to know what you think!

Hi fairy!, I don't believe he was from the UK the tests from Queens college Belfast showed that he had lived in northern Europe (wether that includes the UK is unclear) also living on a restricted diet from being institutionalized or from being from a specific socio-economic back-ground. As to the teeth, dentistry is expensive and sometimes not too great in europe! So there are quite a few folks missing teeth.
I'm still trying to gather more info, been checking european missing people sites no matches so far. I'm just wondering if he was a homeless person which would make it nigh on impossible to give him back his name :(

Any theories fairy?

I just found out that there were no matches on the interpol database for the DNA or finger prints, so it appears the institution was not a prison. Perhaps long-term hospilization, maybe the anti-slip socks point to that. I have asked for more information from the forensic anthropolgist and Queens university Belfast that may give more clues.

I just found out that there were no matches on the interpol database for the DNA or finger prints, so it appears the institution was not a prison. Perhaps long-term hospilization, maybe the anti-slip socks point to that. I have asked for more information from the forensic anthropolgist and Queens university Belfast that may give more clues.

Hello Anne! My gut feeling is that he was possibly from a nursing home. Maybe had dimentia and wandered away. The only problem with this theory is that it seems he would have been reported missing. Can they be more specific as to his diet? Do they believe it was unique to a specific geographical region or was it a regimented diet due to health reasons? That seems key to me.

Hi fairy, the face looks very similar but the height is different by 6 inches. Strangley enough there was nursing home in close proximity to where he was found, but there is no-one reported missing.
I have contacted the University where the tests were preformed as to the exact nature of his diet, just waiting for a reply:)

I cannot read PDF as my laptop crashes but I found him here
http://www.missingpeople.org.uk/areyoumissing/unidentified/archive/detail.asp?dsid=117

I wonder if he was vegetarian, vegan, fruitarian? as on other cases on this site refer to these diets as "extreme"?????!!!!

I have read this site for a while before joining but had NO CLUE what a problem this is in the UK:eek:
I do agree the slipper socks suggest a nursing home.
Are there any Psych hospitals/clinics closeby?

There is a psych hospital in Durham, my mums neighbour works there! Will get her to ask some some pertinent questions

His diet was said to be the same food for 2 months maybe health reasons, lack of teeth to chew (he was missing 11 teeth) mental problems?

I still think he may have fallen or jumped from a ship, as teesport is the second largest port in the UK ,if I could have more information on how long he'd been in the water it would be possible to see which vessels were in the area at the time.

Hi fairy, the face looks very similar but the height is different by 6 inches. Strangley enough there was nursing home in close proximity to where he was found, but there is no-one reported missing.
I have contacted the University where the tests were preformed as to the exact nature of his diet, just waiting for a reply:)

Oh my - didn't notice the height - I was just thinking he was too young! This site really doesn't give enough info - IMO. But the hospital connection, along with the physical appearance, was really a red flag to me! Will keep looking....

I wonder if there is anyway to get some colour on the reconstruction, to make it more lifelike (gray makes it look like its something from a museum).

Does anybody know if he's been identified? I can't get any of the links in the thread to work and while he is still in the Doe Network UK index his link does not lead to anywhere. http://www.doenetwork.org/cases-uk/

Hi, I have looked for news that he has been identified but cannot find anything :( One link to his case is with County Durham police; http://www.durham.police.uk/press/news.php?id=394 I contacted the university that conducted the isotrope test to see if they could be more specific about "northern European" but no reply. I was thinking that he may have come off a ship, there are ferries from the Netherlands that go by and Teesport again nearby, has lots of sea traffic everyday. I couldn't find a match with the dutch 'missing' website the next area that looked interesting Poland.

My dad has a sea chart of the area and he thought that there is a good possiblity that the man entered the water at Sunderland, altough the homeless statistics for that area are only 0.2 per 1000 charities like Shelter and centre point do have a presence in the city, which makes me think there is an issue, I'm also wondering if his was of Polish nationality.

UK Missing Persons Unit

I note the current police report says the person was 40-100 (not 40-65 per previous notes) and suffered heart disease. His height is now listed as 5'8 to 6'. The report does not mention the lack of teeth.

He was wearing:

Hose - Socks - Grey - Unknown - Dark Grey With Oblong Gripper Type Thread On Underside. Have Been Described As Slipper Type With Rubber Footprints (Like Totes Style)
Footwear - Ankle Boots - Brown - Unknown - 1 X 'Camper' Brand With Leather Uppers, Cream Rubber Sole With Circle Approx 1.5" Diameter Size E45/Uk 11 Blvd Made In Spain
Footwear - Trainers - Brown - Unknown - Now Described As 'Camper' Trainer Type

upload_2021-12-26_13-54-44.png

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member