Court Rules Police Illegally Taped Nursing Home Sex

White Rain

Reaction score
MADISON, Wis. — Police who videotaped a man having sex with his comatose wife in her nursing home room violated his constitutional rights, an appeals court ruled Thursday.
David W. Johnson, 59, had an expectation to privacy when he visited his wife, a stroke victim, at Divine Savior Nursing Home in Portage, the District 4 Court of Appeals ruled. Therefore, police violated his constitutional rights against unreasonable searches when they installed a hidden video camera in the room, the court said.
"We are satisfied that Johnson's expectation of privacy while visiting his wife in her nursing home room is one that society would recognize as reasonable," the unanimous three-judge panel wrote.
The ruling means prosecutors cannot introduce the videotapes as evidence in their case against Johnson, who is charged with felony sexual assault for having intercourse with his wife without her consent at least three times in 2005.
more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,421043,00.html

Why would anyone do that? Why have sex with someone who is comatose? If he has that lack of respect for her in the nursing home, I hate to see how he treated her in life.

Why would anyone do that? Why have sex with someone who is comatose? If he has that lack of respect for her in the nursing home, I hate to see how he treated her in life.

Did you see this part:
"The woman's sister is upset that prosecutors brought charges against him, Kelly said. "She believes her sister's husband was merely expressing his love for his wife and was trying everything he could to bring her back to consciousness," Kelly said."
I have to agree with you though....seems SO disrespectful to the poor lady.

This whole story just makes me feel dirty. Ugh.

I guess I am the only one who is not disgusted by this. The husband has been by her side through the years so he must be pretty devoted to her. If it were me I would've told my husband to do this, even though he'd probably know I'd want him to anyways. Who knows how their love and sex life was before this happened. Obviously the husband treated her good in life is her own sister is sticking up for him.

Did you see this part:
"The woman's sister is upset that prosecutors brought charges against him, Kelly said. "She believes her sister's husband was merely expressing his love for his wife and was trying everything he could to bring her back to consciousness," Kelly said."
I have to agree with you though....seems SO disrespectful to the poor lady.

My bold and italics-how selfless of him...lord knows that he got nothing out of this.

I guess I am the only one who is not disgusted by this. The husband has been by her side through the years so he must be pretty devoted to her. If it were me I would've told my husband to do this, even though he'd probably know I'd want him to anyways. Who knows how their love and sex life was before this happened. Obviously the husband treated her good in life is her own sister is sticking up for him.

I can see how much hubby loved her AND devoted himself to her.
But when it comes down to it: We, even woman's sister, know NOTHING of their sex life, and how it was before she got in this condition.
Maybe she didn't want him, maybe she did, we don't know...but the fact that he is having sex with her WITHOUT her permission says alot...who is to say she would have been okay with him doing this?
Yeah the own lady's sis doesn't find fault with this...again, ok, BUT was sis there during the main points of their sex life? No. Did she ultimately know what her sis wanted? Probably not.
I am not saying this poor lady would NOT have wanted her hubby to have sex with her....
But just for 1 min. put yourself in HER shoes and imagine that she did NOT....
Should she NOT have a say (whether conscious or not) in who makes love to her?
My spine just shivers to think of me in her place and not wanting someone to "make love" to me." UGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I agree in a weird way as I am not sure I would have the desire with a comatose spouse. Honor in sickness and in health... He is devoted. If he were chasing nurses in closets we'd be dogging him...as we have not so recently with some terminally ill wives- who chose to honor given the choice.

Heeellllooooo. She is in a coma. No one knows what kind of pain she is feeling or what kind of turmoil her mind is in. For a man to lay on her huffin and puffin he likely is not getting anything back. She is definately not responding with passion. How can he get off on this? How does he know he is not hurting a woman that does not have the capacity to not respond? Would any think it is right to have sex with a woman in a coma if they were not married. This is so wrong on so many levels. Come on. Do you really think he is a devoted husband and she is getting pleasure. Hey we are not in olden times. A woman that doesn't feel like it can say no. If I am in a coma, I would assume my husband would know it was no. I think some of these posts are thoughtless.

ETA: I read this the other day and for some reason thought she was in a coma. She had a stroke and cannot move or talk. She still cannot indicate if she is in pain or does not want sex. This is sickening. Have a stroke and your hubby will climb on you in the nursing home. The guy is nuts.

Heeellllooooo. She is in a coma. No one knows what kind of pain she is feeling or what kind of turmoil her mind is in. For a man to lay on her huffin and puffin he likely is not getting anything back. She is definately not responding with passion. How can he get off on this? How does he know he is not hurting a woman that does not have the capacity to not respond? Would any think it is right to have sex with a woman in a coma if they were not married. This is so wrong on so many levels. Come on. Do you really think he is a devoted husband and she is getting pleasure. Hey we are not in olden times. A woman that doesn't feel like it can say no. If I am in a coma, I would assume my husband would know it was no. I think some of these posts are thoughtless.

ETA: I read this the other day and for some reason thought she was in a coma. She had a stroke and cannot move or talk. She still cannot indicate if she is in pain or does not want sex. This is sickening. Have a stroke and your hubby will climb on you in the nursing home. The guy is nuts.

I think you hit the nail on the head....Would anyone think it was right if they were NOT married? I doubt it.
Married or not, you should have the right to voice, if you can, who has sex with your body. And IF you can't voice it my prayers are with you.

If she can't consent, it's wrong. Rape. Stroke, coma, passed out or whatever...doesn't matter. You can't just 'take' that from somebody, married or not.

I am a freak what can I say. I love sex with my hubby I would want to continue to have it even in a coma. Even if I don't get anything out of it and he can then I would be content and happy. If he continues to get some kind of pleasure even if its not the same at least its from me and not someone else. Thats our relationship though and I can't vouch for theirs, but I can understand the hubby.

I am a freak what can I say. I love sex with my hubby I would want to continue to have it even in a coma. Even if I don't get anything out of it and he can then I would be content and happy. If he continues to get some kind of pleasure even if its not the same at least its from me and not someone else. Thats our relationship though and I can't vouch for theirs, but I can understand the hubby.
:whistle:

I'm not disgusted by this, either. I'd hate to be laying there, unwanted by the man who promised to love me in sickness and in health.

That said - if I were the MAN, I don't think I could do it. I don't love anyone that much.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back