Steve Thomas comment

JMO8778

..at the beach!
Reaction score
Thanks Ames,for those 2 posts,and just to reiterate,from former BPD Detective Steve Thomas (I will try to find the link,it's online) on the "special treatment" the Ramseys received,from those of you who comment that the Rams were never charged or arrested:

crimeADM: How different would this case have been handled if this had been a
normal, middle-class family?

stevethomas: imho, drastically and completely different. the Ramseys were
afforded opportunities, concessions, and privileges that i had never seen
any other suspect afforded in any criminal investigation, ever. we could go
on for hours on this topic alone.

And that alone should speak volumes about why this case was never prosecuted in the first place. Had the Rs been treated as any other suspects, they would both have faced a jury in the death of their daughter. If this was found to be an accidental death, covered up- same thing- because the only reason for the staging was to cover up ANOTHER crime- sexual abuse.
The "word" came down from the Governor's Office the morning of the 26th- t treat "these people" like VICTIMS and NOT as suspects. And that pretty much set the tone for the entire investigation right there. IMHO, justice was doomed from that moment.

right on,and I'm guessing they of course didn't know of the sexual abuse at the time..nor would it have mattered anyway.

On the other hand, maybe if more people knew their rights and exercised them, fewer crimes would be solved.

It was smart of the Rs to lawyer up quickly. It was also smart to refuse to talk to the police for a long time.

That's not to suggest there weren't irregularities - there certainly were.

right on,and I'm guessing they of course didn't know of the sexual abuse at the time..nor would it have mattered anyway.

JMO8778,
Not unless Coroner Meyer gave evidence to the GJ outlining explicitly the evidence for prior abuse and offering his opinion on digital penetration and sexual contact?

On the other hand, maybe if more people knew their rights and exercised them, fewer crimes would be solved.

It was smart of the Rs to lawyer up quickly. It was also smart to refuse to talk to the police for a long time.

That's not to suggest there weren't irregularities - there certainly were.

Chrishope, there's a real cool article I think you should read on that very subject.

Chrishope, there's a real cool article I think you should read on that very subject.

I'd like to read it. Do you have a link?

I'd like to read it. Do you have a link?

Just a sec...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1282/is_17_53/ai_77237136?tag=content;col1

It's titled, 'The Post-Columbo Era: How the courts killed good detective work - how laws limit methods of criminal investigation"

At the heart of the Chandra Levy case is a grim fact of life: We are living in the post-Columbo era. Many traditional aspects of detective work have been abandoned; in fact, much of what detectives once did is now illegal. The only thing that keeps the wheels of justice turning is that most people don't know this. "People only talk to the police because they think it will look suspicious if they don't," says an experienced Manhattan assistant district attorney. "What they don't realize is that the police aren't allowed to draw that negative inference."

SNIP

Defense attorneys, of course, know it all by heart. That's why you'll always hear them holler that a defendant "wasn't properly represented" when someone is convicted of a crime, particularly a death-penalty case. It's true: If all Americans knew their rights, very few people would ever be arrested for anything.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back