GUILTY PA - Allegheny Co., WhtFem 202UFPA, 20-45, in Allegheny River, Oct'03 Carolyn Roehlig

Cubby

fly the W!
Reaction score
Doenetwork 202UFP

http://doenetwork.org/cases/202ufpa.html

Case File 202UFPA

202UFPA.jpg
202UFPA1.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim
Unidentified White Female

• The victim was discovered on October 24, 2003 in O'Hara, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
  • Estimated Date of Death: The body was likely in the river at least a week.
  • Cause of Death: Drug Overdose
  • Remains Badly Decomposed
Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 20 to early 40s
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'3"; 97 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Medium-length brown or blonde hair; no eye color was determined. Her gall bladder had been removed and she had several surgical scars on her abdomen and a scar behind her right ear; could not be determined if she had ever given birth. No tattoos.
and Janice Kay Matney
http://www.nampn.org/cases/matney_janice.html

Janice Kay Matney

matney_janice.jpg

Above Images: Matney, circa 2002

Missing Since: April 3, 2002 from Ottawa, Illinois
Classification: Missing
Date Of Birth: October 1, 1962
Height: 5'2"
Weight: 145 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Distinguishing Characteristics:
Medical Conditions: Matney has an unspecified
medical condition.

Not much info on Janice. The weights are off, but with the time difference of 1.5 years of so from the date Janice missing and the UID being located is it possible to lose 45 lbs or so if Janice had become addicted to heroin?
IMO, her chin would appear thinner at the lower weight.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Great possibility! I would submit it!!! The height is so close and the weight is easily explained if she was a druggie.

Thanks Fairy, I am going to contact Ottawa LE. There is so little listed about Janice and enough about the UID they should be able to determine whether or not to contact PA.

Will post a fu when I have one.

ETA: I called and sent it via email and asked he follow up if she is ruled out. Always nice to let LE know about doenetwork as I often find out they are unaware of the site.

I agree Cubby - based on the pictures alone this looks like a strong possibility!

Good luck with the submittal.

Salem

Update: I just heard back from two detectives in Ottawa. They are still looking into this possible match. Unfortunately they were unable to get Dentals on Janice for comparison. They will be contacting the Alleghany Coroners office for additional information to rule in or out. They do have Janice's dna but it sounds as if it is in an IL lab and not in any federal data base, though I am unsure. It will be sad for her family if it is her, but at least they will have some closure.

Update: I just heard back from two detectives in Ottawa. They are still looking into this possible match. Unfortunately they were unable to get Dentals on Janice for comparison. They will be contacting the Alleghany Coroners office for additional information to rule in or out. They do have Janice's dna but it sounds as if it is in an IL lab and not in any federal data base, though I am unsure. It will be sad for her family if it is her, but at least they will have some closure.

Fingers crossed, Cubby! I do think this is a huge possible!

TY Fairy, They did mention Janice had no known ties to PA, but we've seen matches come up states away. I forgot to ask if they had prints for Janice. :doh: Though, I am sure when they contact Alleghany they will get whatever info Alleghany has including additional info not available to the general public. It also did sound as if this could take months and months if they have to compare DNA... so I don't expect any info for quite sometime unless she is ruled out.

Janice does have a grown child they can hopefully find out about the removed gallbladder and scars listed.

I have heard back from the Allegheny Coroners office. DNA is being processed with the FBI which could take a long time. The detective in the case is trying to match scars. So we wait.....

The reply back from the Coroner was nice and he thanked me for submitting the info.

The coroners office just called. No match. The scars on the UID could be dated, and there were no scars to match on Janice. I hope Janice is found-safe, and this poor girl is id'd. We'll keep working.......

It was very kind for him to call me immediately with the info.

Isn't the clothing the type an older person, closer to age 40 or even older would wear?

Isn't the clothing the type an older person, closer to age 40 or even older would wear?

They do, unless it was someone with very little money who picked them up at a thrift store. I tried searching again yesterday based on someone with a drug addiction, scars and gallbladder removed. Found nothing.

There may be some hints as to where this UID girl was from based on the information provided as to what stores and area's the clothes were purchased. The coroner also indicated the scars were 'dated' and not new, or at least not created within the time frame between Janice missing and the UID being found. They would have been -imo- several years old, old enough for family or friends to be aware of them.

I think the coroner and I were both a little disappointed. We want so badly to put a name to these UID's. He did comment "at least someone is looking".

Sorry it wasn't a match, Cubby. But at least you tried and it's great to hear they were grateful that someone is looking. Tells me they do care! :blowkiss:

As soon as I am able I will start separate threads, (unless one of you get to it first) one for the missing ruled out and one for the UID with links to here also. Then they can be sleuthed separately seeing they are not a match.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09158/975661-455.stm

Sunday, June 07, 2009

...The badly decomposed body of the first, a slight woman identified only as 03-5925, was pulled from the Allegheny River near the Fox Chapel Yacht Club on Oct. 24, 2003. Her remains were wrapped in a blue blanket bound with duct tape. A plastic bag covered her head.

The mummified remains of another, 00-4395, were discovered Oct. 3, 2000, in an abandoned railroad tunnel in Homestead. A stainless steel crown affixed to one of her teeth resembled those made in Eastern Europe.

The third, 99-2629, was a homicide victim found June 28, 1999, in the storm cellar of an empty house in Wilkinsburg. She had been strangled...

...who they were remains a mystery, even as the county prepares to finally lay them to rest.

Victim number one:
www.doenetwork.org/cases/202ufpa.html

Victim number two:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/143ufpa.html

Victim number three:
www.doenetwork.org/cases/397ufpa.html

What a shame that they haven't been identified.

Victim number one:
www.doenetwork.org/cases/202ufpa.html

It says her age range is 20-45 but the reconstruction looks to me like she's the older end of the age range rather than 20. I wonder how accurate that is.

Victim number two:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/143ufpa.html

If she was a recent immigrant it may be there were not many people to miss her, or they may have thought she returned to her native country.

Victim number three:
www.doenetwork.org/cases/397ufpa.html[/QUOTE]

It says the local fingerprint records were checked but no results. Does it mean no national databases were consulted?

I agree Donjeta, it's a shame. I know that many members here donate their time and energy to matching IUD's to Missing Persons that have been reported.

That's not my forte, although I am interested. I wanted to bring these ladies here in case someone wishes to later work on their identifications.

This thread is fine mamashawn. The mods and admin decided to discontinue the possible match threads, so I think they have either been combined into the general discussion thread, or the possible match threads were changed to a gd thread if no gd thread already existed for the UID. Everything is now a general discussion thread. Makes it easier to follow rather than discussions going on in multiple threads. At least for those cases that do not have their own forum.

hth

I think Rachel Good could be a possibility:
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/good_rachel.html

good_rachel.jpg
good_rachel2.jpg

also see image of Rachel attached.

Missing Since: October 18, 2003 (week before) from Elkton, Virginia (less than 100 miles away straight down route 250 - 2 hour drive)
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: October 6, 1983
Height: 5’4″ (match)
Weight: 180 lbs. (no match, but she certainly doesn't look 180 lbs in the full photo attached!)
Hair Color: Blonde (match)
Eye Color: Brown
Race: White (match)
Distinguishing Characteristics: Scars on navel (match) and back.
Medical Conditions: 10 weeks pregnant. (no mention in UID and she could be lying to her married boyfriend)
Clothing: Blue jeans (match) yellow t-shirt. (UID tan shirt)
Jewelry: Possibly stud-type earrings.

Rachel was last seen with friends in the parking lot behind the Elkton Volunteer Fire Department, near the Coin Laundry, off Spotswood Trail in Elkton, Virginia at approximately 6:00 p.m. on October 18, 2003. Her friends saw her get into her Dodge Neon and drive away as it got dark. She has never been heard from again. Her car was found parked at her home in the 100 block of Virginia Avenue in Elkton.

Rachel was romantically involved with a married Elkton police officer, Adam W. Williams, at the time of her disappearance, and he is reportedly the father of her unborn child. He originally headed the investigation into her case. (seriously? WTF!) The Elkton police placed Williams on paid administrative leave after her disappearance and executed a search warrant on his home in connection with Rachel’s case. He resigned from the force in January 2004.

Police are also interested in speaking to the driver of a red truck seen near Rachel’s home at about noon on October 19, the day after her disappearance. The driver has not been identified and is not being called a suspect in her case.

Prosecutors assembled a special grand jury to investigate Rachel’s case in September 2004, but no indictments were handed down. Authorities do not believe Rachel left Elkton of her own volition. They believe she was murdered, but little evidence is available in her case and investigators do not believe they can prosecute anyone until Rachel’s body is found. She is a graduate of Fort Defiance High School and left behind three children when she vanished. Her case remains unsolved.

Attachments

• rachel_sitting_horz_enlg.jpg
    rachel_sitting_horz_enlg.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 72

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members