7 month old baby of celeb still has no name

Filly

KICKING AND SHINING
Reaction score
Lauryn Hill is an extremely talented vocalist.

Lauryn Hill has a baby who is seven months old and still has no name.:waitasec:

She wants a name that means "Glory Of The Ark". Ermmmm, and?:confused: What ya can't look up the meanings of this in several languages and figure one out?:rolleyes:

Meanwhile they call the infant "Baby Marley". How about calling her Marley then, maybe?

http://www.newsanchormom.blogspot.com/2008/09/7-months-old-and-no-name.html

Wasn't Picabo Street something like 2 years old when her parents gave her a name?

Wasn't Picabo Street something like 2 years old when her parents gave her a name?

Yup. I think her parents were total hippies and waiting for her to pick her own name or for her name to "reveal itself" or some such. They only named her when immigration officials insisted for her passport, IIRC, and then they chose to name her after her favorite game at the time.

I don't get it, but whatever. It's actually a cute name, but I wonder if she got teased as an older kid/teen.

Nope, not her favorite game, she was named after Picabo Idaho

My dad will turn 77 years old this month. When he was born he wasn't named for A YEAR. He was the last of four boys and he weighed 14 lbs at birth (he nearly killed my grandmother). They just all called him Baby. I think that at that time you had to file a record of birth within one year and so when they finally had to register his birth before the year ran out they had to come up with a name. During the discussion of what to name "Baby" one of my dad's older brothers had a favorite children's book about a giant. Since my dad was such a big baby, he thought they should name him the same name as the giant in his favorite book - Bobby. So my dad was named after a year's time after a character in a children's book - a giant named Bobby. Isn't that a great story to hand down??!! I love it!

I have a lot of respect for Lauryn Hill and have listened to her albums on and off for years but some of the things that woman says and does makes me question her sanity.

If they have been calling the baby Marley for the last 7 months then the child knows its name and most likely they will keep calling her that for a few more months. It would be pretty darn confusing to a baby if you suddenly changed its name.

They call her Baby Marley because the fathers last name is Marley. Rohan Marley is the son of Bob Marley and is the father of all her children.

The word Picabo is from the Sho-Ban tribe from Idaho. Not all Native Americans speak the same language.

They call her Baby Marley because the fathers last name is Marley. Rohan Marley is the son of Bob Marley and is the father of all her children.

The word Picabo is from the Sho-Ban tribe from Idaho. Not all Native Americans speak the same language.

Yes, but she is still going to grow up confused if they suddenly decide to give her a name and start calling her something different than she's used to. I have a lot of respect for Lauryn, but she and the baby's father need to name this child.

My grandmother wasn't given a name immediately because her siblings had just passed away from diptheria, and her mother refused to name her because she was just going to lose the baby as well. (Can you spell depression at work here?)

Still, she had a name before seven months passed!

This just comes off as selfishness from the mother. Children from earliest ages begin to know and recognize words and sounds, and they deserve to have their own precious selves identified as much as anything else.

My grandmother wasn't given a name immediately because her siblings had just passed away from diptheria, and her mother refused to name her because she was just going to lose the baby as well. (Can you spell depression at work here?)

Still, she had a name before seven months passed!

This just comes off as selfishness from the mother. Children from earliest ages begin to know and recognize words and sounds, and they deserve to have their own precious selves identified as much as anything else.

I could agree with you more, Texana.

Also - here's some news for Lauryn Hill. If she's been calling the child Baby Marley for 7 months then that is the child's name.

I've always thought that Lauryn Hill was extremely talented but that's not why I have the opinion that I do. After reading on these message boards for years, the fact that she hasn't officially named her baby doesn't really bother me. She's loving the baby, taking care of the baby, feeding, clothing...

Even though she hasn't thought of an officical name it doesn't mean that they won't always call the child 'Baby Marley". How many people do you know that don't go by their given name or go by nicknames? Lots.

BTW, I think I remember hearing of Lauryn Hill having some mental issues before and that's why she stopped recording for a while. It might just be a rumor.

BTW, I think I remember hearing of Lauryn Hill having some mental issues before and that's why she stopped recording for a while. It might just be a rumor.

Lauryn Hill is supposedly quite jaded with the whole entertainment industry and is very happy staying at home raising her family. While she says she might one day go back to recording music, it's not in the forseeable future.

I was singing along with that impeccable version of "No Woman No Cry" with my son today. Don't misconstrue my comment as one by a person who doesn't know who she is.

I think Lizzy Beth is right. For all we know Lauryn decided the baby's name was her business.

My son has an incredibly unusual name and when i enter it into google I can actually pull up my named pics of him and other's named pics of him.

Maybe it's like the naming of cats--
maybe what she calls her son she doesn't want the public to know.

:eek:

ITA, LLL, look at all the flack Gwynteth Paltrow got over namng her daughter Apple? :boohoo:

I thought "Apple" was a pretty name... never understood the flack Gwyneth got over it. As for waiting to name a baby: one of my childhood friend's mother was always called "Cookie"... it was a nickname given to her for the first couple of weeks of her life, because she didn't have an official name. She was finally named Sarah, but those closest to her still called her "Cookie". LoL Ms Sarah was a sweet and loving woman... she passed in 2000 from liver cancer. :(

It's Lauryn's baby... she'll give it a proper name, sooner or later. Since they call her Baby Marley, I can bet you "Marley" will be a nickname that sticks with her through life. I wish I had held my ground and waited on naming my first son a name I liked... his daddy insisted naming him something I didn't want, and being a timid person, I didn't stand up to him.

It's Lauryn's baby... she'll give it a proper name, sooner or later. Since they call her Baby Marley, I can bet you "Marley" will be a nickname that sticks with her through life. I wish I had held my ground and waited on naming my first son a name I liked... his daddy insisted naming him something I didn't want, and being a timid person, I didn't stand up to him.

Agreed....and Marley is such a CUTE name!

I'm the same way...both of my daughters have middle names (that they are called by) I wouldn't have chosen but my husband was adamant...they are pretty names but not my favorites, not what I wanted...and their first names are family names. Luckily I got to name my son a name I wanted, my favorite boys' name my whole life---John. I think the mother ought to have absolute first pick b/c she is the one who goes through the pregnancy and birth....JMHO.

I first saw Lauryn as one of the teen's in Sister Act 2, and have listened to her stuff since then with the Fugees. You'd think a girl like that would be much more intelligent than to just sit around waiting and such. If she does that, she might be waiting around for a long time. I think with something like 'Glory of the Ark', it would be more like a phrase rather than a singular word that can be used as a name.

O.K. I'm just calling this baby in my mind G-L-O-R-I-A, Gloria.:crazy:

Gloria Arche.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong