Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
2-1-Jane-Doe-police-sketch.jpg
2-2-John-Doe-police-sketc.jpg

6-1-Jane-Doe-Police-Sketch-.jpg

Jane Doe - Police Sketch and Coroner's Photo

6-2-John-Doe-Sketch-Photo.jpg

John Doe - Police Sketch and Coroner's Photo

Yes they definitely look as though they may be related and I would not doubt that they are siblings. What caught me was that they both share a smiliar if not the same natural arch of the eyebrow, their size and shape of their lips as well as the general shape of the philtrum are also virtualy identical.

From my untrained eye they sure have a lot of the same facial features. I agree they are probably siblings.

6-1-Jane-Doe-Police-Sketch-.jpg

Jane Doe - Police Sketch and Coroner's Photo

6-2-John-Doe-Sketch-Photo.jpg

John Doe - Police Sketch and Coroner's Photo.....

So sad and so very long ago 1976...

How could these 2 people not be missed by someone, somewhere, in all this time?
Does anyone know the details of 'how' these 2 young people were killed?

where were they found in S.C, near the beaches or islands, near a college, apartments, in a city or back roads just WHERE in SC?....I noticed on the side of the picture it says Sumter, coroners office.
South Carolina has always had a lot of tourist for the beaches, fishing, boating, colleges as well as motorcycle rallys.

their height and weight and approx. ages, what were they wearing,
was it beach/summer cloths, swim suits, winter cloths, motorcycle cloths, work cloths, what type of clothing, expensive or average, shoes, jewelry, what's the details?

After 30 years it's time all the details get out, maybe a friend or family member will recognize them, unless they were from some other country..

where were they found in S.C, near the beaches or islands, near a college, apartments, in a city or back roads just WHERE in SC?....I noticed on the side of the picture it says Sumter, coroners office.
South Carolina has always had a lot of tourist for the beaches, fishing, boating, colleges as well as motorcycle rallys.

was it beach/summer cloths, swim suits, winter cloths, motorcycle cloths, work cloths, what type of clothing, expensive or average, shoes, jewelry, what's the details?

After 30 years it's time all the details get out, maybe a friend or family member will recognize them, unless they were from some other country..

hmmm...not sure if you saw this, but it had more of the specifics:

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/classics/mystery_couple/index.html

Yes, there are several good articles throughout the thread about specifics. Kitbits posted the link to the very well done Crime Library story. The road they were found on though was a dirt road, off the beaten path. The type of road that probably only a local would know about.

hmmm...not sure if you saw this, but it had more of the specifics:

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/classics/mystery_couple/index.html

Kitbits, Thank you. No, I had not seen the article. It was very informative, and answered many of the questions I had.
Let's hope with the internet and DNA the beautiful young people will be identified.

Too bad LE didn't take samples from the North Carolina man's CAR who owned the gun that was used to shot this couple. I believe he was their killer.

The 2 were found on a secluded Sumter County dirt road between Interstate 95 and S.C. 341.

The young girl, Jane Doe was,
5'5", 105 Lbs, brown hair, blue/green eyes, very long eye lashes, 18 to 20 years old,
pierced ears, no surgical scars, mole behind right leg (calf), Two small hair moles on left cheek, one small hair mole on right side of face.

No elaborate dental work. Missing upper and lower wisdom teeth on right. Has upper and lower wisdom teeth on left. Has fillings in all back teeth. If she were to smile, her teeth in the front would give an even appearance.

She was wearing a pair of Levi cut-off shorts, a pink knit halter that tied in the front, an unbleached muslin blouse, and a pair of wedge-heeled sandals, lavender, pink, and purple.
She was wearing three sterling silver rings described as Indian or Mexican costume jewelry. One was a band with red, white, and blue stones, one was an oblong black stone with three green flecks, and one was feather scroll with a rust and green stone.

The young male, John Doe,

6' 1/4", 155 lbs., brown hair, brown eyes, 18 to 22 years old but possibly older, 4" appendectomy scar, two 2" scars on right arm (shoulder area)

Very elaborate dental work with crowns and bridges. Crown on left front tooth, acrylic or porcelain. Fillings in most of upper teeth and has some missing teeth in top and bottom but noticeable in top back left. He is missing his wisdom teeth on the bottom in the back.

He was wearing faded Levi blue jeans,
a red T-shirt with "COOR'S America's fine light beer" on the front and "Camel Challenger GT Sebring 75" on the rear. The races are held in Florida.
A Bulova Accutron yellow gold watch, serial number H918803 was on his left arm and
a grey linde star ring in a 14 K yellow-gold mounting with the initials J.P.F. engraved inside the band was on his finger.
Had Grants Truck Stop matches in his pocket, from the mid-west......

They had been shot several times. An autopsy would later reveal both had been shot at close range in the back, chest and throat. The report also indicated the couple had been dead for less than 24 hours.
They had no money on them, but there were several clues that led investigators to believe that the couple might have been well-to-do or perhaps even from another country.

Investigators wondered if they had been hitchhiking cross country, or if they had been victims of a carjacking.

Yes they definitely look as though they may be related and I would not doubt that they are siblings.
What caught me was that they both share a smiliar if not the same natural arch of the eyebrow, their size and shape of their lips as well as the general shape of the philtrum are also virtualy identical.

A DNA test would answer this question and others about their ancestors, or possible country they can from ...would it be possible now?

Did LE keep the gun taken from the N.Carolina man?

Yes, there are several good articles throughout the thread about specifics.

Kitbits posted the link to the very well done Crime Library story.
The road they were found on though was a dirt road, off the beaten path.
The type of road that probably only a local would know about.

Mary-Beth,
This is the first I've heard or read anything about this sad case...

I believe their pictures did not make it to the right state or country Newspapers,
because someone would have recognized them from being in their class at SCHOOL, or college,.... wouldn't they have graduated in the "70's?

I suspect the killer pulled off the major highway on to the dirt road, just to shoot and rob the victims as he forced them out of his car, after midnight or later.

Can you post were I can read the articles you speak of?.. :detective:

A DNA test would answer this question and others about their ancestors, or possible country they can from ...would it be possible now?

I know I had read somewhere (doenetwork I believe) that the bodies had been exumed for DNA testing, the wait is agonizing. I hope they also pursue isotope analysis if possible so that their origins might be better established.

I know I had read somewhere (doenetwork I believe) that the bodies had been exumed for DNA testing, the wait is agonizing.
I hope they also pursue isotope analysis if possible so that their origins might be better established.

MaedchenX..That's good to hear..

Mary-Beth,
This is the first I've heard or read anything about this sad case...

I believe their pictures did not make it to the right state or country Newspapers,
because someone would have recognized them from high school, or college, wouldn't they have graduated in the "70's?

I suspect the killer pulled off the major highway on to the dirt road, just to shoot and rob the victims as he forced them out of his car, after midnight or later.

Can you post were I can read the articles you speak of?.. :detective:

If you go to the thread directly under this one, it says Mystery Couple Murdered South Carolina, Thread 2...go to page 5, post #108. There is a copy of the article that appeared last April in the National Post of Canada.

Also on that same thread, on page 3, post #72 is an article about the lone suspect they had in the case.

I think there are a few other ones from newspapers back in 1976 and over the years on anniversaries of the murders but I can't find them at the moment. If you have trouble finding them, let me know.

No probs, Letsthink...I really hope someone, someday recognises them--it's really bugging me to bits!

Also, I was thinking about that isotope test...would be great, were it possible.

And yeah...wish they'd hurry up with that DNA test...I'm sure I read on here that it was sent in 2007 to a lab in Texas that is backlogged with requests...frustrating!

I know this might sound silly, but is it possible they could be Spanish. Can you guys see a European look about them, especially a Spanish look?

Just a suggestion

I also realised something about John Doe's ring, that there are three names on it. I remember reading up on Spanish culture and they generally have three names, usually the first name and two surnames. I think the first surname tend to be the mothers maiden name.

Anyway, I realised that I may have posted in the wrong thread. So please feel free to move this post the correct one. I am still a newbie around here, so i was not sure where to post.

These suggestions may not be much help to you guys, but I just wanted to share my thoughts in case it does help?

I believe (based on looking at the photographs) that this was a Canadian couple. Her underarms and legs were not shaven. Neither was wearing underwear (sounds wierd but is fairly common in Canada/Europe). Also, there was no personal effects found with them so it seems to me this was a robbery. Also, the gun was found. Even though the serial number had been filed off, I wonder if they can do etch work (or have done) to reveal it. If the guy from the KOA campground was for real, I wonder why he took so long to come forward? Also, if it is true, and the young man's name was Jacques, and he was from Canada, it would imply Quebec or at least eastern Canada. If they did, in fact, come across country through Nebraska and across to SC, they would have passed through a lot of Indian territory which would explain her jewelry and the matchbooks in his pocket. I think it's pretty clear they were hitchhiking.

This case has always bothered me. Even if his parents had disowned him, my God, wouldn't you want to at the very least identify your dead son??

Thanks for explaining some facts about their case to me. I didn't know this beore I posted. I agree, I don't understand why their parents at least didn't come forward, even if they were adopted, someone still should have came forward. Very puzzling case...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redeworker
Back