More info needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnJr

Reaction score
What were the Lyon sisters wearing the day of their disappearance? Did they have earrings or other jewelry? Did they have any dental work prior to their abduction? Did they both share the same blood type? If not, what was each of their blood types? Were both sisters right handed or left handed? Did they fave any physical abnormalities or broken bones/scars/etc.?

Hi JohnJr, these are very good questions you ask. Some of the rest of us should have asked these questions a long time ago. Richard would probably be the best one to try to answer them. He may not know the answers right now but maybe he can get them sometime.

I think that both girls had pierced ears. The age progressions show both of them with earrings. It looks like Sheila is definitely wearing earrings in her photos, not so sure about Katherine.

Katherine has a birthmark on the inside of her upper thigh.

The Charley Project has details on their clothing and very good details on many other things, concerning both Sheila and Katherine.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/lyon_sheila.html

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/lyon_katherine.html

Also, this was considered one of the biggest crimes in the DC area and got a lot of publicity. So, I think that a lot of information was made public from the beginning and continuously over the years. Of course, now with the internet and everything, it's easier to obtain than it was at that time.

http://www.kensingtonheightsweb.com/association/kensingtonheights/lyonsisters.htm

The charleyproject's accounts of the disappearance of the Lyon sisters doesn't answer any of my questions.

I remember this case well. I lived right near where it happened and remember looking in and at cars a red lights. Very strange that it was never solved.

You have asked some very good questions. It is likely that the police files contain most of what you ask, such as dental records, medical records, and detailed information not released to the press. Unfortunately, the only information that I have been able to find regarding the girls' descriptions and clothing has been posted in this forum and on other websites.

Here is what I posted previously:

Sheila Mary Lyon
Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Missing Since: March 25, 1975 from Wheaton, Maryland
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: March 30, 1962
Age at the time: 12 years old
Height and Weight: 5'2; 100 pounds
NCIC Number: M-6053299749
Distinguishing Characteristics: Blonde hair; blue eyes. Sheila wears eyeglasses.
Clothing: Sheila was last seen wearing a dark blue shirt and wheat-colored corduroy pants.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Katherine Mary Lyon
Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Missing Since: March 25, 1975 from Wheaton, Maryland
Date Of Birth: March 29, 1964
Age at time: 10 years old
Height and Weight: 4'8; 85 pounds
NCIC Number: M-605329953
Distinguishing Characteristics: Blonde hair; blue eyes. Katherine has a birthmark inside her upper thigh. Her nickname is "Kate."
Clothing: Katherine was last seen wearing a red jacket and Wrangler brand blue jeans with a front zipper.

------------------------------------------------------------
In late May of 1975, a large scale search involving National Guard troops, helicopters, police and dogs was conducted in a wooded area of Rock Creek Park. The newspapers covered the story of that search and mentioned that John Lyon was present at the headquarters of the search team. When some clothing was found, it was brought to him for possible identification. He looked at it and shook his head, explaining that the denim trousers shown to him had buttons like Sailor pants, and that his daughters were wearing Wrangler brand blue jeans with zippers up the front.

The only descrepancy in that quote with earlier reports was that it sounded like both girls were wearing blue jeans, while in the earliest reports, Sheila was wearing Wheat Colored Corduroy pants and Kate was wearing blue jeans.

No reports mention any jewelry, watches, or earrings. Shoes and socks are not described. If Sheila was wearing a coat or jacket, it was never described.

Sheila was wearing eyeglasses which seem in photos to be of the metal frame type. It was mentioned that the girls may have had a few coins with them - change left over after purchasing lunch with their four dollars. Quarters and dimes would probably be dated between 1964 and 1974 inclusive. Pennies and nicklels might have older dates.

I have a question and am not sure where to post it in this forum.

Was anyone home at the Lyon house when the girls were due home? I've read their mother told them to be home by 4pm, but was anyone(family member) at home between 3pm-4pm?
Sorry if this information is out there somewhere and I've missed it.

I have a question and am not sure where to post it in this forum.

Was anyone home at the Lyon house when the girls were due home? I've read their mother told them to be home by 4pm, but was anyone(family member) at home between 3pm-4pm?
Sorry if this information is out there somewhere and I've missed it.

Good questions. I know that some stories have stated that Mrs. Lyon had told her girls to be home by 4PM. That isn't exactly accurate, but rather an interpolation of statements.

Mrs. Lyon remembered saying to the girls when they asked that 3PM would be "a good time" for them to return, although she stated that she did not recall making it a mandatory time.

Also, when Kate was speaking with her girl friend that morning on the phone, she was invited over to the girl's house to play. Mrs. Lyon did not think it would be a good idea because she had a bowling game around noon and the girls' father, John Lyon was sleeping in due to his having done a night shift radio show. She felt that the girls would be soon back in their own house making noise and keeping their father from sleep.

Kate told her friend that she was going to Wheaton Plaza with Sheila and that they would be home around 3PM and that they could call again then. So the 3PM time was confirmed by both Mrs. Lyon and the girlfriend.

At about 3PM, John Lyon drove to pick his wife up from her bowling game and then they ran some errands. They returned between 4 and 4:30PM and Mrs. Lyon began some gardening. She did not become concerned about the girls until about 6PM, when they normally were home, as that was supper time and a regular Mandatory time. Through supper, she started worrying more and as it was getting dark, they called the police.

The girls' brother, Jay was at the same mall that afternoon, and their younger brother was at a friend's house.

So, there probably was nobody home between 3 and 4 PM at the Lyon House.

Thanks for this info.
So in light of this information, the girls could have arrived home and encountered someone there that convinced them to leave with them.
I realize this is not probable but it is possible.

This is the first I've read about what went on in the Lyon home the day the girls went missing.Thanks so much for the info. I would have to agree with SharetheLight,if infact they made it home and were alone for a bit,we shouldn't assume that they were taken from the mall. I really think that we should discuss this option.

Wow I never heard of this either. I agree we should explore the rare chance that they did make it home that day and that is where they may have possibly vanished from. It may not get us any further than we have, but it is a new way to look at this case....

Does anyone know whether or not there were any accounts from the neighbors on this day? By neighbors I mean direct neighbors. It was a nice spring day, were any of them outside around that time? There was a boy who knew them(the sisters) and who says he saw them walking on the street toward home around 2:30-3:30. If this account is correct, then they would have arrived home when both parents and both brothers were out. I realize this boy's statement is not considered credible, but maybe it is . . .

What time did Jay leave the Mall on 3/25? What time did he arrive home? Did Jay go directly home from the mall?
I ask these questions because most likely he would have taken the same route home that his sisters took. If his sisters made it out of the mall that day, maybe he saw something that he didn't even realize he saw? With this information, maybe we could tighten up the timeline a bit. If he happened to pass the house around the same time the boy said he saw the lyon girls around 2:30-3:30, then either the boy was mistaken, or the timeline would change slightly. Did the boy who was outside see Jay when he went home??

I agree with SharetheLight, maybe we should reconsider the sighting of the boy who said he saw them walking home,now that we are aware of the fact that they could have come home to an empty house.Also there was the guy that said he waved to them as they walked by his house on their way home.Was his name Mann? Anyway, I think we need to discuss option.

I agree with SharetheLight, maybe we should reconsider the sighting of the boy who said he saw them walking home,now that we are aware of the fact that they could have come home to an empty house.Also there was the guy that said he waved to them as they walked by his house on their way home.Was his name Mann? Anyway, I think we need to discuss option.

I think there was just one reported sighting of the girls walking home. I thought it was from a boy who knew them. His name was never mentioned in anything I've read. I think he is the one who waved to them.

I think there was just one reported sighting of the girls walking home. I thought it was from a boy who knew them. His name was never mentioned in anything I've read. I think he is the one who waved to them.

Lyon Sisters Disappearance Remains Kensington Height’s Biggest Unsolved Mystery

Researched by Barbara Ruben (Devin Place)

On a warm spring day in 1975, sisters Sheila and Katherine Lyon left Wheaton Plaza and walked toward their Plyers Mill Road home. They never arrived, vanishing somewhere in Kensington Heights.

The most vexing disappearance in Montgomery County history, the case has been recounted in the National Enquirer and generated hundreds of leads, all of which have culminated in dead ends.

On March 25, 1975, Sheila, 12, and her younger sister Katherine, 10, walked along Drumm Avenue and over to Wheaton Plaza to view the Easter displays at the mall and have lunch at the Orange Bowl restaurant. Their older brother saw them in the Orange Bowl eating pizza together around 2 p.m.

Longtime Kensington Heights resident James Mann may have been one of the last to see the two girls. He recalls waving to them as they passed his house on the corner of Drumm Avenue and Devin Place that afternoon. He said they continued down Drumm toward McComas.

According to the Missing Persons Cold Case Network, a volunteer-based Web site profiling 3,000 missing persons cases, a friend of the girls also placed the girls near Drumm and Devin Place.

Back in 1975, Mann recalled that there was a large wooded area with a cut-through path connecting the two segments of Drumm. Drumm Court and the newer houses on Drumm were years away from being built.

Police and neighbors fanned out across Kensington Heights searching for clues. Mann recalls that police asked permission to search his crawl space, along with those of his neighbors. They also checked the sewer drain on Drumm and dove in the pond at what was then the Kensington Gardens Nursing home.

“I wanted to help them in any way I could,” he said. “It was such a tragedy.”

Snipped by me.

Most here don't consider this sighting credible,but who knows?

I thought the sighting of them walking home was by a boy. And therefore discounted for whatever reason. Clearly this is a man. "Longtime Kensington Heights resident . . ."
When was this article written? Could it be that he is a longtime resident at the time of this article and not when the actual crime occurred? I thought I read a friend of theirs spotted them. I will look for the source for that.
If a man came forward and said he saw them, I think that is pretty credible.
Let me try to find the article that states "a friend" . . .
Thanks for this info.

I thought the sighting of them walking home was by a boy. And therefore discounted for whatever reason. Clearly this is a man. "Longtime Kensington Heights resident . . ."
When was this article written? Could it be that he is a longtime resident at the time of this article and not when the actual crime occurred? I thought I read a friend of theirs spotted them. I will look for the source for that.
If a man came forward and said he saw them, I think that is pretty credible.
Let me try to find the article that states "a friend" . . .
Thanks for this info.

Here is the linkhttp://www.kensingtonheightsweb.com/association/kensingtonheights/lyonsisters.htm
Also, you are right,there was a boy that said he saw them walking home.This guy was another sighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46