CA CA - Los Angeles Co., WhtFem 588UFCA, 16-28, in burned trailer, Jun'83

From the dentals and the description (very thin, small build, 16-20 years old), I'll hazard a guess that she was a street kid and/or prostitute, and probably an addict. Sepulveda and Ventura Boulevards would be dangerous for a woman at that time of night/morning (as seen here...).

I would love to see this one solved. The way in which she was killed was so horrible that she deserves some final dignity now.

Here is the DoeNetwork link. http://doenetwork.org/cases/588ufca.html

If you are prone to nightmares, you may want to read only the info that I provide as I will leave out the graphic parts.

She was found June 26, 1983 in Los Angeles County.
She had died the same day.
She was between the ages of 16-20 and was very petite.
She was White and Blond.
The only item found with her was a gold chain with a small gold metal charm, which is pictured at the link.
Her badly burned body was found inside a badly burned trailer. I will leave the rest of the circumstances around her discovery for those who wish to look them up.
A man named Melvin Smith was convicted of her murder after admitting to beating her until she didn't move any more. He was sentenced to 25 years.
He said that he had picked her up about 4 a.m. at Sepulveda and Ventura Boulevard.
THe entire crime, beating and fire, was committed at the abandoned trailer, which was located at 13707 Little Tujunga Canyon Drive, Crescenta Valley, CA.

I've tried to find any info on a Melvin Smith in So CA around the 1983 date and have come up empty. Maybe I'm just stupid, but I can find no media coverage regarding this case. Hopefully someone with more experience can find more.

i agree = not my kids, i found mindi second, but i have this "feeling" about mindi
bluestarzz

I wonder if LE is going to put her DNA in CODIS? Or if they are able to get DNA?

I can't find anything on Melvin Smith either. I have searched and wouldn't you know, California doesn't have inmate locators. grrrr.
I would be eternally grateful if anyone could find something on him.

The description of being very petite does fit within Mindi's size description... I wish the dental records on this Jane Doe was easier to read... I see 2 lines that read "extensive dental...": can't make out the word after that phrase. If there is an indication that the ME thought the teeth showed extensive dental care, then it would be another point in Mindi's direction since she had worn braces prior to her disappearance, and braces require loads of dental care.

We could use quite a few more clues relating to the UID. Frustrating.:mad:

Someone brave enough to call the investigating officer and find out more information? Detective Richard C. Kennerly 323-890-5500
If Melvin Smith was sentenced to 25 years, he's probably a free man today. There are lots of Melvin Smiths with criminal records. We'd need his middle name or better yet a birth date, to find out more about him.

Someone brave enough to call the investigating officer and find out more information? Detective Richard C. Kennerly 323-890-5500
If Melvin Smith was sentenced to 25 years, he's probably a free man today. There are lots of Melvin Smiths with criminal records. We'd need his middle name or better yet a birth date, to find out more about him.

I'm planning on making the phone calls. I can't do it until early next week though. If some one gutsier that has more time wants to try it before then, go right ahead. Just let us know, so we aren't hounding this poor detective to death. lol

The description of being very petite does fit within Mindi's size description... I wish the dental records on this Jane Doe was easier to read... I see 2 lines that read "extensive dental...": can't make out the word after that phrase. If there is an indication that the ME thought the teeth showed extensive dental care, then it would be another point in Mindi's direction since she had worn braces prior to her disappearance, and braces require loads of dental care.

The phrase used in the dentals is "extensive dental caries." Demineralization of the teeth. See pictures and description here:

http://www.db.od.mah.se/car/data/cariesser.html

She needed extensive dental care, but didn't get it. Poor girl didn't have much of a life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back