Coaches Give Player 'Crybaby Award'

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
PLEASANTVILLE, N.J. (AP) -- The coaches of a middle school basketball team who humiliated one of their players by giving him a "crybaby award" will likely face disciplinary action from district officials.

The 13-year-old boy's coach called him just before last month's team banquet and told him to make sure he attended because he was getting a special trophy, the boy's father said.

At the event, the boy watched as all of his Pleasantville Middle School teammates received trophies or certificates.

He was then called up to receive his award, and a coach told the crowd that the boy was being honored because "he begged to get in the game, and all he did was whine."

The trophy had a silver figure of a baby atop a pedestal engraved with the boy's name, which was spelled incorrectly. Family members said the teen -- an honor roll student -- was so embarrassed that he stayed home from school on the following Monday.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/g/archive/2004/05/04/crybaby.DTL

I would be furious if it was my kid. It's pretty sick that adults would do something like that.

They should fire that man! The whole episode is just the same thing as child abuse, emotional abuse.

I agree, the poor kid ~ boys that age are very sensitve and it is important for them to fit in socially.

I guess the coaches thought it was going to be a really funny thing, even called the kid to make sure he ws there at the awards banquet for his 'special award' it was a very, very cruel thing.

I hope the good kids/staff/friends and family are supporting him and this all becomes a distant memory.

What a shame, this is so senseless ~ I want to give that boy a hug and smack :slap: that coach.

Thanks, Me too. I reminded the school that they are to be alert for students who have bad tendencies (Columbine) - but what are they doing about teacher/coaches? This breaks my heart because we all know how important self esteem is.

*** UPDATE ***

Coaching ban, public apology ordered for coach who gave out Crybaby Award

PLEASANTVILLE, N.J. (AP) - A basketball coach who gave a 13-year-old player a "Crybaby Award" will be banned from coaching, sent to sensitivity training and ordered to make a public apology.

Schools superintendent Edwin Coyle revealed the punishments Wednesday. Whether the coach loses his job remains to be seen.

James Guillen, 24, a third-year special education teacher at the Pleasantville Middle School, had a trophy made up showing an infant atop a pedestal, with a plaque bearing the inscription of player Terrence Philo Jr. and the words "Crybaby Award."

Terrence was spelled "Terrance."

After summoning the boy to attend the April 24 season-ending banquet, Guillen gave him the trophy, humiliating him in front of about 25 teammates and parents.

On Tuesday, the nine-member Pleasantville Board of Education voted to fire Guillen, rejecting Coyle's recommendation for lighter sanctions.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2004/05/05/448307-ap.html

A good ending........

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,121244,00.html

~snip~
A middle school honor student who was humiliated when his basketball coach gave him a "Crybaby Award" last month was feted at a school assembly Friday with applause from his peers and an apology from the coach...

..."I would like to extend a special apology to the Terrence Philo family," Guillen, 24, told the boy in front of about 250 of his cheering classmates. He blamed his error last month on "my lack of experience as a coach and as a teacher."
Philo, an eighth-grade honor student, played guard on the team, which went 12-3 and won its division championship.
~snip~

Doyle- thanks for posting the principal's email a while back. I fired off an email immediately. I hope others did as well. This was a good outcome and hopefully a good lesson for all involved. Still, a tough situation for the boy.

Please tell me that above I am mis-reading that this "teacher" is a SPECIAL EDUCATION teacher?!?!
SO this ignorant abusive moron is teaching children with special needs??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back