Casey Anthony Trial Date Set, Could Cost Taxpayers

rlms56

Reaction score
Most likely, the trial won't happen at the Orange County courthouse. No one can say how many 10s of thousands of dollars the investigation has already cost. Moving the trial could put taxpayers on the hook for tens of thousands more, maybe even for Casey Anthony's defense.

http://www.wftv.com/news/17815663/detail.html

From the link above:
<snip>
ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- Eyewitness News was the first to find out a trial date has been set in the case against Casey. She'll be tried for first-degree murder on February 9 and the case is going to be expensive, especially if it's moved out of town.

From the link above:
<snip>
ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- Eyewitness News was the first to find out a trial date has been set in the case against Casey. She'll be tried for first-degree murder on February 9 and the case is going to be expensive, especially if it's moved out of town.

I hate to even begin to tell you the cost of the Scott Peterson trial. Just moving it from Stanislaus County where jurors were paid $5 a day to Redwood City where jurors were paid (I think) $19 a day was substantial.

I don't have the total figure, but it was ridiculous, but worth every penny to put that murderer on death row.

Scott Peterson Prosecution Totals $4.13 Million
April 24, 2005
The prosecution of Scott Peterson cost Stanislaus County taxpayers $4.13 million, some of which they hope the state of California will pay.

Stanislaus County is not a wealthy county and I believe the state did reimburse the county for some if not all of the expense. It would have been much cheaper to have not moved it. I know we gave up many law enforcement positions for a while until we got reimbursed.

At least they've set a date. I wonder why Baez didn't ask for a speedy trial if he is so confident that LE doesn't have a case against KC?

At least they've set a date. I wonder why Baez didn't ask for a speedy trial if he is so confident that LE doesn't have a case against KC?

Hey, the poor man needs time - there's that public speaking course he signed up for; the "how to file a motion" chapter to read; court etiquette to study, etc. :boohoo:

Hey, the poor man needs time - there's that public speaking course he signed up for; the "how to file a motion" chapter to read; court etiquette to study, etc. :boohoo:

Don't forget "forensic testing for dummies"

Plus he's got that story all ready to go that's going to make the whole world slap their collective foreheads and say "Oh now I understand!".

oh gosh - waiting waiting waiting. I can't even handle waiting for Nov 8th for TES to search, let alone February for this trial to start. Watchin' paint dry.

You don't think 4 months (from indictment) isn't speedy?
Some inmates wait years for their trials.
Honestly, I'm amazed the trial will be so soon.

You don't think 4 months (from indictment) isn't speedy?
Some inmates wait years for their trials.
Honestly, I'm amazed the trial will be so soon.

WOW, I was thinking trial date in late Spring-mid summer.

Four months seems pretty darn speedy to me.

Casey thinking from her cell, "I can be out in time for the St Patrick's Day party at Fusion"

I guess I don't understand how tax payers may have to foot the bill for her lawyer and experts? If she says she can't pay wouldn't the judge then order a public defender and experts that work pro bono?

I just don't get how if I, or anyone else, committed a crime the state would pay for me to choose which every lawyer I wanted and for that lawyer to choose whichever expert wittinesses he wanted to bring in. It doesn't seem right to me. :waitasec:

I guess I don't understand how tax payers may have to foot the bill for her lawyer and experts? If she says she can't pay wouldn't the judge then order a public defender and experts that work pro bono?

I just don't get how if I, or anyone else, committed a crime the state would pay for me to choose which every lawyer I wanted and for that lawyer to choose whichever expert wittinesses he wanted to bring in. It doesn't seem right to me. :waitasec:

IM - I don't understand it either and as a Florida taxpayer, I don't quite like it either. If she wants the state to pay for her defense, then she should be required to have a state-appointed defense attorney; not a "JB Dream Team". LOL :bang:

IM - I don't understand it either and as a Florida taxpayer, I don't quite like it either. If she wants the state to pay for her defense, then she should be required to have a state-appointed defense attorney; not a "JB Dream Team". LOL :bang:

Or "JB Fright Team."

The public defender doesn't work pro bono. The public defender is on contract to Orange County. The defendant also has a right to have experts -- so say the courts. Orange County also has to pay for the experts for an indigent defendant. Orange County's money comes from the taxpayers.

The state has a cap on what they are willing to pay for a defense attorney in a capital case. It is higher than the non capital cases, but there is a prescribed amount. This happens in all capital cases now that the laws say a capital attorney has to have certain credentials and experience. If the hours are going to exceed a prescribed amount the attorney's must explain why etc if they are to get paid for them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back