Gizmo owners seek $200,000 in suit over dog's death

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Yorkshire terrier killed last month when they say he was kicked like a football, are asking a court to award them $200,000 in damages.

Jelani Lewis filed the suit along with his wife, Jessica. The money would not fill the void caused by the loss of their dog, said Jelani Lewis, who talked with reporters yesterday.

''Gizmo was more than just a pet,'' Jelani Lewis said. ''He wasn't just an animal. Myself and Jessica, we took care of Gizmo, and that was our kid. I can't describe the emptiness I feel, and I don't know that it will be replaced.''

The suit names as defendants Chad Daniel Crawford, charged by police with kicking the dog, along with two other men, and Nashboro Village Apartments, where the couple lives. The couple seeks punitive and compensatory damages in the April 5 incident.

Stephen S. Ogle, Crawford's attorney, said Crawford did not kill Gizmo or kick the dog. Ogle said he thinks that a jury will find his client not guilty. Crawford moved out of the apartment complex and lost his job working at the apartments.

The first time Crawford knew the dog was dead was when ''Lewis approached him in the parking lot and said, 'You killed my dog,' '' Ogle said yesterday in a telephone interview. ''He had never seen the guy before. He had no interaction with him and had no idea why he would accuse him of such a thing.''

Ogle said his defense strategy will focus in part on showing what he thinks is the Lewises' desire to receive money.

http://www.tennessean.com/local/archives/04/04/50853422.shtml?Element_ID=50853422

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back