Soup kitchen opens for dogs

Dark Knight

Reaction score
BERLIN (Reuters) – A soup kitchen exclusively for dogs has opened its doors in Berlin providing pets of the homeless and unemployed with a free meal, the director of the establishment said on Friday.

Despite the looming financial crisis, director Claudia Hollm dismissed criticism that it may be more sensible to collect money for humans than for dogs.

"Nowadays people underestimate dogs. They are incredibly important for those who lack social contact with other humans," Hollm told Reuters.
"Making sure dogs don't go hungry is just as important as making sure that people don't starve," she added.

Hollm, and her company "Animal Board," gets sponsorship from companies,
including animal food manufacturers.

One woman who uses the free service said she had two dogs, four cats, a rabbit and some guinea pigs.

"Without this animal bread line, I'd probably starve to death," the 20-year old told German daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081031/od_nm/us_dogs;_ylt=AhIWA_Scyg2il7Sd5kzWJfCs0NUE

And who's to say folks who help with animals don't also help with people? I can't even imagine being homeless, but I am sure if I were homeless but had a pet, that pet would be even more important to me then my pets are now. It could be the difference between a homeless person just trying to get by or turning to crime. I don't have any problem with this at all. Let's not lose sight of our humanity in this time of world financial crisis. It probably costs more money to put these animals in shelters or euthanize them.

Aw...this made my day...thanks for sharing. :blowkiss:

I have been know to drop off a small bag of dog food to homeless person with a pet. That's gotta be a very special animal.

:):)

This is a great idea. We do need these in our country too.

This too, made my day.

Gozgals

Frequently I hear people say I bought this new food for my pets and they don't like it so I have to throw it away. Give it to your Humane Society or a rescue.

I wonder if food banks accept pet food? I'll have to check with local ones and see.

I think it's a great idea too. I bet a lot of the homeless people take some of their food back in order to feed their dog/cat.

I never thought of donating pet food to a food bank. Good idea.

Malapoo, Good idea. I'll have to check locally here as well. I bet the pets wouldn't mind a donated sweater.

Kind of OT, but does anyone else have tiny refrigerators in their grocery store pet food aisles for fresh dog food that looks like rolls of sausage? That stuff is expensive.

Malapoo, Good idea. I'll have to check locally here as well. I bet the pets wouldn't mind a donated sweater.

Our local shelter is asking for donations of blankets for the dogs and towels for the cats to help keep them warm this winter. I bet most shelters could use them before winter. (Most shelters have concrete floors as it's easier to clean them, but they are cold!)

Wow, I think this is great. We should have more of them. Dogs are wonderful.. They are smart and they are great companions.. :blowkiss:

That's beautiful idea to have a soup kitchen for dogs! So many homeless have dogs

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back