2008.11.05 Pretrial Hearing

kathyn2

Reaction score
I don't see a thread for the pre trial hearing that took place today. I am surprised. I read that Baez asked for the judge to move the check fraud charges to after the murder trial. I also read on this forum people saying the judge granted this. However I cannot find anywhere on line that states this. Is there a video of the hearing this morning? Did anyone see the hearing? What took place there? Did the judge decide anything?

OK, I watched the video and the judge has made no decisions on whether he will move the check fraud charges to after the murder trial. I guess the person that posted that is mistaken. However I can't find the actual hearing and would love to see it so if anyone saw it, please post about it! And if it is online somewhere then please post a link. Apparently all the election news has overshadowed this case for now.

I don't see a thread for the pre trial hearing that took place today. I am surprised. I read that Baez asked for the judge to move the check fraud charges to after the murder trial. I also read on this forum people saying the judge granted this. However I cannot find anywhere on line that states this. Is there a video of the hearing this morning? Did anyone see the hearing? What took place there? Did the judge decide anything?

Here's a video of questions he answered outside courthouse.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/vide...ane=info&LaunchPageAdTag=homepage&clipFormat=

It makes sense to me to postpone the check fraud charges until after the murder trial. If KC is found guilty of murder and sentenced to death or LWOP, what sense is there in trying her for the check and credit card charges? The become a moot point, and waiting saves the cost of the trial.

i thought they were going to have a live feed - but i couldn't find the feed anywhere...

fox said it would start @ 9am - but never offered a link.

the applicable only video i find now is Baez answering questions outside of the courthouse.

It makes sense to me to postpone the check fraud charges until after the murder trial. If KC is found guilty of murder and sentenced to death or LWOP, what sense is there in trying her for the check and credit card charges? The become a moot point, and waiting saves the cost of the trial.

Probably, but I say go forward with the check charges. Perhaps if Kc sits in the court room for that trial, she will get an idea of how rough the murder trial will be. Maybe that will convince her to give up what happened.

I also have a question for the real lawyers on here. Since the shopping sprees, thefts & clubbing are all part of the prosections case ( I would think) will it make any difference if the theft & shopping can come into evidence at her murder trial if she is tried before or after for them?

Kathyn2, look on the media update thread. Reading the Fox Orlando site, it reads as if the judge did grant Baez motion.

Probably, but I say go forward with the check charges. Perhaps if Kc sits in the court room for that trial, she will get an idea of how rough the murder trial will be. Maybe that will convince her to give up what happened.

I also have a question for the real lawyers on here. Since the shopping sprees, thefts & clubbing are all part of the prosections case ( I would think) will it make any difference if the theft & shopping can come into evidence at her murder trial if she is tried before or after for them?

I would think even if the check fraud case is after the murder case some of it has to come into the murder trial. It is relevant to Casey's frame of mind and it is not like they don't have the video at Target and BoA to show her behavior after the 15th.

i did not watch it...

but here a link to story on WFTV

http://www.wftv.com/news/17898941/detail.html
No surprises ther. Baez is not ready to defend her on the check fraud charges. He never has been even when she was arrested for that charge back in July Shame on him for not preparing. He deserves no delayss for his stupidity. moo. Florida judges seem to award motions on stupidity only. moo Also imo he doesn't give a **** about Casey, only about his own reputation. You would think he would want to take things in order. Nope, instead, he whines and complains about a case that won't go to trial for a couple of months. ALL DEFENSE ATTORNEYS claim they never got discovery. Most times, it is an out and out lie. More like most defense attornies are too lazy to look at what they are given. moo

ITA, besides she did the crime, so she should do the time...for the check charges also

IMHO

Baez wants to wait to see what evidence the judge decides to allow to be presented in the up coming murder trial. This evidentiary hearing is set for December.

After the prosecution reveals its strategy Baez will develop his defense….one theme is Casey snapped after seeing Jesse (insert innocent persons’ name) steal/abduct Caylee. Therefore, Casey was insane/diminished capacity when she wrote checks. Therefore, wrote checks to cover her basic needs……beer and bra’s……

I would think even if the check fraud case is after the murder case some of it has to come into the murder trial. It is relevant to Casey's frame of mind and it is not like they don't have the video at Target and BoA to show her behavior after the 15th.

Thank you, that's what I would think but I am not a lawyer. I didn't know if Baez could object to the theft tapes, shopping tapes coming into evidence since it has not been proved yet. I also didn't know if they went ahead with the trial for the theft charges, could Baez then argue prior bad act couldnt come in. But it IS all tied together. I was just curious if either way it gave JB an edge up.

Can someone please explain to me the difference in a pre-trial and trial? I just assume he wanted it postponed because he was trying to keep her out of prison longer if she was found guilty in the check fraud case. This is my 'first' case and I'm still in the learning mode.

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35, Orlando) -- Wednesday morning, the State presented its case against Casey Anthony on grand theft and check fraud charges.

Casey Anthony, who did not appear in court, was represented by her defense attorney Jose Baez. He made a motion to continue the case on the theft charges and also waived his client’s right to a speedy trial.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/myfox/p...n=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unimog
Back