Boomerangs 'are British'

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
A carving on a rock in Yorkshire proves ancient Britons and not Australian Aborigines invented the boomerang, an author claims.

Terry Deary says the markings on the Swastika Stone on Ilkley Moor are curvy boomerangs and not a sun or fire worship symbol.

Sky News reports that the writer of the Horrible Histories books was jogging past the rock when the thought occurred to him.

He suggests the carving - dating from around 3,000 to 4,000 BC - is in fact a depiction of a quadrang-style boomerang.

Mr Deary said: "It's the earliest representation of a boomerang. There's nothing else it could be."

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_950360.html?menu=

*** UPDATE ***

Australians incensed by British boomerang claim

A British children's author is claiming the boomerang, an iconic symbol of Australian heritage, was in fact invented in Britain.

Terry Deary says he was out jogging in the Ilkley Moors near West Yorkshire, when he passed the famous Swastika Stone, an ancient carving on a rock which looks like a curvy swastika.

Experts say the Bronze-age image, dating from around 3,000 to 4,000 BC, is a sun or fire worship symbol.

But Mr Deary is going all out by suggesting that it is, in fact, a depiction of a quadrangular boomerang.

However, a member of Britain's Australian community described the claim as absolute rubbish.

"Next the British will be claiming they invented Fosters beer," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1105469.htm

If I thought that we Brits had anything to do with inventing that yellow gassy water that aussies call beer I would renounce my citizenship. Aussie always reckon they can drink a bit, well I am not suprised if its all the calibre of this cats P**S.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back