Anuniaq

Reaction score
Woman's disappearance puzzles friends

Vehicle was found along Seward Highway with no sign of foul play
By JAMES HALPIN
jhalpin@adn.com
Published: November 11th, 2008 10:53 PM
Last Modified: November 11th, 2008 09:54 AM
Along the Seward Highway, between the towering cliffs of exposed rock and the fast-icing waters of Turnagain Arm, an abandoned pickup found last month looked to be a promising lead in the search for a woman who vanished on her way to work.

But inside the green 1996 GMC, found some six miles below McHugh Creek on Oct. 31, the belongings of Sheila Kathleen McBroom, 40, remained untouched. There were no signs of foul play, nothing wrong with the car suggesting mechanical malfunction, no suicide note.
In the days since the discovery, not a single person has reported seeing McBroom.

More at link...

http://www.adn.com/anchorage/story/586115.html

Reactions: mrz
This is on a beautiful road that winds along Turnagain Arm from Anchorage to the Kenai Peninsula.

Weird, if you read the article it says she went missing on a Monday, which would be Oct. 27th, and it references her having been last seen at 10:30 pm on the 27th, then later references her having been seen last by a Trooper at 10:30 am on October 31st and her truck being found on the 31st.

Hopefully they will update this.

My thoughts are with her family.

Reactions: mrz
It's so sad.
There are too many missing people in the world.
I wish they could all just come home...the world would be a much better place.
Do you know if she was married or had children?

It's so sad.
There are too many missing people in the world.
I wish they could all just come home...the world would be a much better place.
Do you know if she was married or had children?

The article said she was a "wife and mother"

"A wife and mother, McBroom, who went by Kathleen, was supposedly heading for work the Monday morning she vanished. Nobody is quite sure why she was on the highway.
"My very first thought was that she needed some time away, that maybe she was just going to cool off somewhere, but I've got this gut feeling that something bad has happened," said Sue Rissel, 28, a friend of McBroom's who knew her online.

"In the days before she disappeared, one of McBroom's teenage daughters returned after spending more than a year out of state, and McBroom appeared to be thrilled about the reunion in a personal blog entry dated Oct. 26."

I hope they find her.

I spent some time reading Kathleen's blog and have spoken with some of her blogging commmunity. I have written five posts on the investigation thus far.

My biggest problem with the case is the lack of exposure that it received initially and up to now. Ms. McBroom is currently not listed in any of the missing persons databases despite this being an active investigation.

It is very difficult for citizens to know to look for someone if authorities do not make folks aware that a person is missing and possibly endangered.

I think my mom was murdered by Isreal Keyes. Others have put it together too. She went missing 4 days before he left Alaska. I have a whole thing I typed up that hopefully the fbi will listen to.

I think my mom was murdered by Isreal Keyes. Others have put it together too. She went missing 4 days before he left Alaska. I have a whole thing I typed up that hopefully the fbi will listen to.

First of all, wherever your Mom may be now I wanted to say I am so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine what you must be going through, and I am holding you and your Mom in my thoughts and in my heart.

Also, as Kathleen's daughter, you might want to reach out to websleuths to become a Verified Insider. I'm not sure how that is done though, sorry.

However, I do not know if it is true that she went missing 4 days before Israel Keyes left Alaska.

I believe the FBI timeline for Keyes travels shows that he flew from Anchorage, Alaska to Seattle, Washington on the 24th of October, 2008. He then flew from Seattle, Washington to Grand Forks, North Dakota on the 25th of October, 2008. 5 days later, on the 30th of October 2008, the timeline says that he flew from Phoenix, Arizona to San Francisco, California (and through to Seattle, Washington on the 31st).

I haven't had a proper look to see if there is any concrete information on his activities/whereabouts between the 25th and 30th of October, 2008. However, the FBI timeline does state that they found handwritten notes listing travel expenses, on which were listed a "Gas Transaction" on the 26th of October, 2008 and a "Rental Car Transaction" transaction on the 28th of October, 2008.

These things all make me think he was travelling in the lower 48, and therefore was not in Alaska, on the 27th of October, 2008.

Of course, I cannot say for certain, and so I hope you find someone at the FBI or somewhere else who can help you figure out some definitive answers to the questions that you must have. I have my fingers crossed for you!

I’d be interested in knowing what makes you think this , only if you feel like sharing. I’m so sorry for your loss and pray you find the answers.

Nov 12, 2008

1705711041558.png

• sheila_kathleen_mcbroom_2.jpg
McBroom, circa 2008
  • Missing Since 10/27/2008
  • Missing From Anchorage, Alaska
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 08/16/1968 (55)
  • Age 40 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'5, 200 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A white hooded jacket.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. McBroom goes by her middle name, Kathleen, and her nickname is Kathy. Her ears are pierced.

Details of Disappearance​

McBroom was last seen in Anchorage, Alaska on October 27, 2008. She left home that morning, supposedly to drive to work.

At 8:30 a.m., an Alaska state trooper stopped McBroom on the Seward Highway, six miles south of Girdwood, which is not on her route to work. She passed a sobriety test and told him she was tired, and he suggested she take a nap before moving on. She has never been heard from again.

On October 31, her truck, with all her belongings inside, was found at mile 106 on the Seward Highway, at the place where the trooper had spoken to her. There were no indications of foul play and the truck was in operable condition.

A few days before McBroom disappeared, her teenage daughter came home for a visit after spending more than a year at a school out of state. McBroom was delighted with the reunion and her loved ones don't believe she would have abandoned her family.

She worked with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers at Elmendorf Air Force Base at the time of her disappearance, and attended a local Mormon church. She was active online and kept a blog which she wrote in regularly.

McBroom is missing under unclear circumstances and her family believes she may be in danger. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency​

• Anchorage Police Department 907-786-8817

Source Information​

Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated March 4, 2010; casefile added.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood
Back