FL FL - Altamonte Springs, WhtFem 67UFFL, 15-23, 'Ginger', may be from MI, Aug'73

Angel4Alpha

Reaction score
Do you all think these might be a possible match ?

http://doenetwork.org/cases/67uffl.html

Unidentified White Female Located on August 21, 1973 in Altamonte Springs, Seminole County, Florida.
Cause of death was homicide
Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 15- 21 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5"- 5'7"; slender build (circa 110 lbs).
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Approximately shoulder-length, light brown hair. Possibly crooked teeth. She appears to be a young runaway.
  • Dentals: Loose teeth found during screenings of surrounding soil
  • Clothing: None located
  • AKA: Authorities refer to her as "Ginger"
This unidentified female is believed to have been a victim of Joseph "Crazy Joe" Spaziano, a member of the Outlaws motorcycle gang in 1973. The victim was located in a dump in Altamonte Springs, Florida on August 21, 1973. She was underneath the body of Laura Harbers, a homicide which Spaziano was charged with in the mid-1970's.

Spaziano avoided the death penalty in Harberts' case, as a key witness for the prosecution recanted his testimony which would have implicated Spaziano in the crime. His first-degree murder conviction was overturned in 1998 and Spaziano pleaded no contest to a lesser charge of second-degree murder. He is currently serving a life sentence in a Florida prison for the rape and mutilation of a teenage girl from Orlando, Florida.
A witness said that in the spring of 1973, she saw Spaziano at Daytona Beach with a young girl riding on the back of his motorcycle. The girl asked her to hold her purse for safekeeping. The girl didn't pick up her purse after the motorcycle ride. Five days later Spaziano showed up at her door and demanded the purse. She turned it over, but not before peeking inside for the identification. She told Police that she remembered only that the girl was from Ann Arbor, Michigan.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/858dfmi.html

CCoon.jpg

Cynthia Coon
Missing since January 19, 1970 from Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County, Michigan.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: March 24, 1956
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 13 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4" (162 cm.); 110 lbs. (50 kg.)
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
  • Dentals: She had straight teeth, no fillings, never been to a dentist.
Circumstances of Disappearance

Cynthia Coon left her residence en route to school in Ann Arbor. She did not attend school at all that day and did not return home that evening. She made contact with her family twice, once on April 1, 1970 and again on April 2, 1970. She did not know her whereabouts at the time of the calls. An extortion-type call was received by the family on May 5, 1970. Since that time, no further contact has been made with the family.

Jeez - I HATE these reconstructions - they are so crude and hideous! However, I can see that this might be a possibility. The height is off a bit, but that's not a deal-breaker for me at all.

Jeez - I HATE these reconstructions - they are so crude and hideous! However, I can see that this might be a possibility. The height is off a bit, but that's not a deal-breaker for me at all.

I agree some of them look horrible! As far as the height - she was only 13 when she left home - I would imagine she would have grown an inch or even two in three years possibly... I wonder if she has ever been checked against that UID

The reconstruction and the pic of the girl look a lot alike to me, especially the chin line, length of the face, and the bridge of the nose.

I agree some of them look horrible! As far as the height - she was only 13 when she left home - I would imagine she would have grown an inch or even two in three years possibly... I wonder if she has ever been checked against that UID

I agree about the height. Dentals would be great except the UID appears to have been missing teeth. Maybe DNA???

I would think dna would be the only way to know for sure - if teeth were found scattered it would be very hard to determine if they were crooked or straight for that matter and who knows what happened to a smile in 3 years or more without decent dental care that most runaways wouldnt have...

I can't find enough reasons not to submit this potential match. I'm guessing it has been looked at previously due to the Ann Arbor MI info and timing. Of course without submitting we don't know whether or not they have been ruled out as a match, another good reason to use the prefix's here Christine2448 just mentioned. Makes me wish Doenetwork did the same too. It would be nice if Doenetwork added to their info lists of anyone that has been ruled out. Would save everyone from doing the same work over and over..... Glad we are going to be doing that here!

Go ahead and submit it, imo.

I didn't see any reason given for the rule out. The only other rule out listed for this UID that I've seen is Delores Jean Stanton. It's a shame they don't make the list available to download in Access like they used to because it's easier to check that way. The copy I have was printed a year or 2 ago, so anything R/O after that isn't on the list I have.

I read on another forum that this was ruled out because of dentals, LE believing they were crooked, and Cynthia is stated to have straight teeth.

But it bothers me still because in 3 years of being a runaway from the age of 13 with no dental care and possibly poor dental hygiene from being a runaway and maybe wisdom teeth issues might have crowded the other teeth by then, as well as the UID found listing missing teeth that were found scattered and maybe she lost a tooth and they shifted? That could happen too in 3 years.

The other thing I noticed is that it says the man who possibly murdered the UID, that he demanded her purse - maybe he is who contacted cynthias family in may and tried to extort money from them? If he had her purse he had her information.

This one just nags at me and I wonder if they werent too hasty by ruling her out. Wish I knew more on this one.

I'm curious about the ID the witness saw. What kind of ID was it? 13 year olds don't have IDs, except maybe school ID cards. She could have acquired fake ID if she were a runaway, but then why would it have Ann Arbor on it?

I'm curious about the ID the witness saw. What kind of ID was it? 13 year olds don't have IDs, except maybe school ID cards. She could have acquired fake ID if she were a runaway, but then why would it have Ann Arbor on it?

Back in the 70s, purses and wallets contained a little card where you could list your name and adress and phone number in case they were lost. It could have been something like that for all we know.

It says the witness looked for identification but doesn't say it was an official ID or anything. That would also make sense if perpetrator used information in it to contact the parents of the girl to extort money from them too.

It's also possible that she went to University of Michigan in Ann Arbor (assuming she was 18+) and she could be from anywhere. She could have had that information on a school I.D.?? Just a thought......

Rose Lena Cole
Missing since the July 1, 1973 from Oakland, Alameda County, California
Classification: Endangered Runaway

Vital Statistics

* Date Of Birth: December 23, 1956
* Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3"-5'6"; 120 -130 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: White Female. Brown hair; green/hazel eyes.
* Dentals: Not Available
* DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Cole was last seen in Oakland, California in the summer of 1973. Cole was last seen in Oakland, California. She could be missing from California, Michigan, or in between.

After an incident of running away from home and apparent participation with drugs, Cole was sent by the court in Flint, Michigan, to reside at Synanon drug rehabilitation program in the summer of 1972. Synanon was initially a drug rehabilitation program founded by Charles Dederich Sr. in 1958 in Santa Monica, California. Her date of disappearance can not quite be pinned down. The last letter her family received was dated December 1972, but was not mailed for over a month. According to her letters, her family situation was difficult for her. In them she begged to come home and to be loved.

A Grand Jury in Los Angeles issued a report in 1978 criticizing Synanon for child abuse and for the profits that went to Dederich, and also for lack of oversight by authorities. The Internal Revenue Service revoked Synanon's tax exemption, despite the group trying to claim religious exemption, and the properties were confiscated. By the mid-1990s the group had essentially folded.
By 1997 Dederich had passed away.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2368dfca.html

The time frame and physical features match and there's a connection to Michigan.

Any opinions?

The Doe Network:
Case File 67UFFL
http://doenetwork.org/cases/67uffl.html
NamUs UP Case 1341 https://identifyus.org/cases/1341

67UFFL1.jpg
67UFFL.jpg
67UFFL2.jpg

Reconstructions of Victim

Unidentified White Female
Located on August 21, 1973 in Altamonte Springs, Seminole County, Florida.
Cause of death was homicide

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 15- 21 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5"- 5'7"; slender build (circa 110 lbs).
Distinguishing Characteristics: Approximately shoulder-length, light brown hair. Possibly crooked teeth. She appears to be a young runaway.
Dentals: Loose teeth found during screenings of surrounding soil.
Clothing: None located
DNA: Available at University of North Texas.
AKA: Authorities refer to her as "Ginger"

Case History
This unidentified female is believed to have been a victim of Joseph "Crazy Joe" Spaziano, a member of the Outlaws motorcycle gang in 1973. The victim was located in a dump in Altamonte Springs, Florida on August 21, 1973. She was underneath the body of Laura Harbers, a homicide which Spaziano was charged with in the mid-1970's.
Spaziano avoided the death penalty in Harberts' case, as a key witness for the prosecution recanted his testimony which would have implicated Spaziano in the crime. His first-degree murder conviction was overturned in 1998 and Spaziano pleaded no contest to a lesser charge of second-degree murder. He is currently serving a life sentence in a Florida prison for the rape and mutilation of a teenage girl from Orlando, Florida.
A witness said that in the spring of 1973, she saw Spaziano at Daytona Beach with a young girl riding on the back of his motorcycle. The girl asked her to hold her purse for safekeeping. The girl didn't pick up her purse after the motorcycle ride. Five days later Spaziano showed up at her door and demanded the purse. She turned it over, but not before peeking inside for the identification. She told Police that she remembered only that the girl was from Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Note: Cynthia Coon was discussed on the following thread, and subsequently ruled-out.

Ruled Out FL - UID Female 67UFFL, Altamonte Springs, 1973 to: MI- Cynthia Coon, Ann Arbor, 1970

I saw these two recently added no-photo NamUs casefiles for Pamela Sue Hobley, and Patricia Spencer

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/11478/1
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/11479/2

I went to Classmates.com to find their photos, and found them in the 1969 Oscoda High School (Oscoda MI) yearbook.

Pamela Sue Hobley____Patricia Spencer
___
hobley_pamela.jpg
___
spencer_patricia.jpg

I went through the DoeNet casefiles looking for possible matches, and I saw that "Ginger" seems like a decent possible for Pamela Sue Hobley

hobley_pamela.jpg
67UFFL.jpg

I wouldn't rely too much on the facial reconstruction, as it appears to be of very poor quality. If "Ginger" is ever identified, I bet she will look nothing like the recon.

I am more tuned in to the consistent height and age, the fact that "Ginger" was carrying ID indicating that she was from Michigan. (Granted, Pamela was not from Ann Arbor, but she is from Michigan).

BTW, I sent the photos to Amy Lee and Brenda Galarza (NamUs Case Managers for these two cases). Hopefully they will add them to the casefiles.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back