4th grade honor student hangs himself in closet Fl

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
NEW PORT RICHEY — Saturday was a typical evening in the Tyree household.
Jacqueline Tyree fixed cabbage, sausage and rice for dinner. Her 9-year-old son, Efrem, took his bath after dinner, then went to put on lotion while Jacqueline fixed her 7-year-old daughter's hair.
After a few moments of silence in her son's room, Jacqueline went to check on him and made a horrifying discovery: Efrem was hanging from his closet shelf by two leather belts.
http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/nov/25/4th-grade-honor-student-hangs-himself-closet/

I read the statistics but it seems to me like this is happening more and more. It breaks your heart to think of someone so young suffering such emotional pain that they want to die.

So very sad, my prayers for Efrem's family and friends.

9 years old?! How unbelievable and so very sad.

OMG! :( :(
my prayers are with his family :heart:

I read the statistics but it seems to me like this is happening more and more. It breaks your heart to think of someone so young suffering such emotional pain that they want to die.

At my 6 yo's check up last week, they asked her if she ever felt like hurting herself. She said no. I was told that suicide is the most common form of death for 6 & up (to whatever age they said). I lost the focus when suicide in 6yo's was mentioned at all, much less as common. :eek:

What a sad, sad world we have become.

I am shocked. Life has no value anymore. Through all my years I would have never dreamed of what we have become.

My prayers go out to this family.

look at what is cool for kids these days? cutting themselves, being depressed. alot of them think it's cool. then they have no idea that death is permanent. so many do it as a grand gesture of god knows what. impulsive for real. scares the hell out of me.

I am shocked. Life has no value anymore. Through all my years I would have never dreamed of what we have become.

mine too.

that line is going in my blog. it sums up how i feel perfectly. thank you.

~lwr~

Some people are born not wanting to live, it is all they ever know.

I hope this child has found whatever peace he was missing. His family is in my thoughts and prayers.. I hope they will find peace again some day- I cannot imagine their pain.

look at what is cool for kids these days? cutting themselves, being depressed. alot of them think it's cool. then they have no idea that death is permanent. so many do it as a grand gesture of god knows what. impulsive for real. scares the hell out of me.

Ahh, the "Emo" culture.

Wow. Sad. I wonder what was going on with this kid. As someone who has/is dealing with depression, however, I can probably relate and have more sympathy for him that most people can. What I never have been able to understand, however, is the ignorant people who think that individuals with illnesses like this can just "get over it". I don't understand that mentality at all, and to me, that's even sadder.

At my 6 yo's check up last week, they asked her if she ever felt like hurting herself. She said no. I was told that suicide is the most common form of death for 6 & up (to whatever age they said). I lost the focus when suicide in 6yo's was mentioned at all, much less as common. :eek:

What a sad, sad world we have become.

It is sad. My nephew talked of killing himself when he was 6 and 7. Turns out he was diagnosed as manic depressive. I was shocked. Didn't realize it could happen to people so young. My sister caught it, though, and he's been on medication til he was about 18 or so ... don't know if that's fortunately or unfortunately. While I hate for anyone to have to rely on meds, sometimes it helps and I am thankful for them.
Actually, since he got off the meds he's been doing really well. He enlisted in the Navy and is progressing there well. He is a talented young man and very smart. I am so very glad it turned out in a positive way for him.

Too bad for this young boy Efrem. I am so sad that he felt this was the only way out. Perhaps if he had some sort of counseling or medications, this may not have happened, but who would have known? You don't think of young kids taking their own lives. It's so sad :(
I pray for his soul and for his mother and family. This must be so devastating for them all.

Wow. Sad. I wonder what was going on with this kid. As someone who has/is dealing with depression, however, I can probably relate and have more sympathy for him that most people can. What I never have been able to understand, however, is the ignorant people who think that individuals with illnesses like this can just "get over it". I don't understand that mentality at all, and to me, that's even sadder.

I don't understand the"get over it" menatlity either. My brother kept going to the Doctor asking for medication. They kept telling him to exercise. He said, exercise, I can't even get out of bed. I know exercise helps but sometimes you need help to get to the stage where you can exercise.

How terribly, terribly sad.
I wonder if Efrem tried to reach out for help at school, or to someone other than mom/dad, since the article didn't mention a history...
It is tragic to think that such a young child could feel so desperate that they feel that suicide is the only way out. :(

This is so sad. My prayers to his family.

I think those of us who have suffered from depression, and have seen signs- diagnosed or not- in our families have to really watch our children for those signs.

I'm also surprised to read about the pediatrician asking about suicidal thoughts. My son just had his 6 yr check up a few months ago and it was not mentioned, though I do watch for signs or changes in his behavior patterns.

I agree with you. Some people just won't accept that it's an illness just like diabetes or any other physical disease. Part of that (other's view) is what keeps some people from seeking treatment.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back