RI - Sunny von Bulow dies

ljwf22

Reality continues to ruin my life.
Reaction score
"NEW YORK – A family spokeswoman says heiress Martha "Sunny" von Bulow has died after almost three decades in a coma that prosecutors tried to blame on her husband. She was 76.
Spokeswoman Maureen Connelly says von Bulow died Saturday at a nursing home in New York City.
Von Bulow spent the past 28 years in a coma after what prosecutors alleged was two murder attempts by her husband, Claus.
He was ultimately acquitted of charges he tried to kill her by injecting her with insulin at their estate in Newport, R.I.
His trials were among the most sensational of the 1980s."

Rest in peace, Sunny.

I was just about to post this! :) Here's another article with some more info. I was not aware that the husband struck a deal, so to speak... He agreed to divorce Sunny, give up his inheritance, etc., if the kids would dismiss the civil suit. Hmm....interesting and so sad.

http://www.salon.com/wires/ap/us/2008/12/06/D94TD9N02_obit_von_bulow/index.html

Saturday, Dec 6, 2008
Sunny von Bulow dead after 28 years in coma
By VERENA DOBNIK Associated Press Writer YORK -- Martha "Sunny" von Bulow, an heiress who spent the last 28 years of her life in oblivion after what prosecutors alleged in a pair of sensational trials were two murder attempts by her husband, died Saturday at age 76.
She died at a nursing home in New York, her children said in a statement issued by family spokeswoman Maureen Connelly.
Sunny von Bulow was a personification of romantic notions about high society -- a stunning heiress who brought her American millions to marriages with men who gave her honored old European names.
But she ended her days in a coma, showing no sign of awareness as she was visited by her children and tended around the clock by nurses.
In the 1980s, she was the offstage presence that haunted her husband's two sensational trials in Newport and Providence, R.I.
At the first trial, in 1982, Claus von Bulow was convicted of trying twice to kill her by injecting her with insulin at their estate in Newport, R.I. That verdict was thrown out on appeal, and he was acquitted at a second trial in 1985.
The murder case split Newport society, produced lurid headlines and was later made into the 1990 film, "Reversal of Fortune," starring Glenn Close and Jeremy Irons.
Claus von Bulow is now living in London, "mostly taking care of his grandchildren," said Alan Dershowitz, the defense lawyer who handled the appeal and won his acquittal at the second trial. He wrote the book "Reversal of Fortune: Inside the von Bulow Case," on which the movie was based.
Dershowitz said there was "overwhelming" evidence that her coma was self-induced -- caused by a "large ingestion of drugs, and Claus had nothing to do with it," Dershowitz said.
"There are no winners in a case like this," he added.
Claus von Bulow's main accusers were his wife's children by a previous marriage to Austrian Prince Alfred von Auersperg -- Princess Annie-Laurie "Ala" von Auersperg Isham and Prince Alexander von Auersperg. They renewed the charges against their stepfather in a civil lawsuit a month after his acquittal.
Two years later, Claus von Bulow agreed to give up any claims to his wife's estimated $25 million-to-$40 million fortune and to the $120,000-a-year income of a trust she set up for him. He also agreed to divorce her, leave the country and never profit from their story.

Just yesterday I was reading the Barbara Walters autobiography "Audition",and he was mentioned in the book.I was wondering if Sunny was still alive,now to read she has passed.

It seems her husband Claus never worked after the divorce,if he didn't get any of Sunnys' inheritance,I wonder what he was living on?

Just yesterday I was reading the Barbara Walters autobiography "Audition",and he was mentioned in the book.I was wondering if Sunny was still alive,now to read she has passed.

It seems her husband Claus never worked after the divorce,if he didn't get any of Sunnys' inheritance,I wonder what he was living on?

Hi Capps, I suspect Sunny's family gave him a small lump sum to just go away and leave them alone FOREVER. We'll probably never know since he isn't allowed to talk about it. God bless her...

Wow- and with her goes the secret to one of the crimes of the century...

Hi Capps, I suspect Sunny's family gave him a small lump sum to just go away and leave them alone FOREVER. We'll probably never know since he isn't allowed to talk about it. God bless her...
You're probably right Top Gunner. I think he is guilty,I saw him years ago being interviewed by someone...he was/is a strange man.

Yes,God bless her.

The first trial was on CNN or some channel. There was no Court TV yet. I remember watching the trial and fairly hating Claus because of what I will always believe he did to Sunny. Claus had a very arrogant manner and conveyed a sense of entitlement. The trial was fascinating to me to watch, and I was so happy with the first verdict.
Then here came David Dershowitz and Barry Scheck on the second trial that rendered an acquittal. I could not believe that verdict!

I am so very glad that Claus did not get her money! That money was her children's birthright - not Claus'.
I have to admit that I did buy the book, tho!

I am sorry for her son and daughter and sorry that Sunny never knew the joy of the grandchildren they would have given to her.

If I remember correctly part of the deal had something to do with Cosima, Claus and Sunny's daughter together. Cosima was disinherited by Sunny's mother for siding with her father during the trial. If Claus agreed to the deal, Cosima would be added back in to the grandmothers will.

*HUGE* trial here in RI. Claus von Bulow was not a very respected man. At all. Frankly, he grossed me out. I think he oozed yuck making ~shudders~. Blech... Many believe he was nothing short of a golddigger. I also think he was very much involved with her illness/coma. I honestly believe if the trail was held anywhere else in this country he would have been found guilty. Yeah, he was paid off to go away. Literally.

ljw, thanks for the post. I can't believe I haven't heard this on the news or haven't seen it online anywhere. Poor woman, RIP Sunny! I hope karma comes and takes a chunk out of Claus' butt!

Sunny is gone. Feels like losing a distant relative as her story was so highly publicized in detail. Same as here....come to know & care about someone you don't know through their misfortune.

Prayers with her children.

That's so sad, 28 hears in a coma.. was she in one of those comas were she could hear still?

A great film, Reversal of Fortune, did come out of Sunny's tragedy. RIP Sunny.

He re-married someone very wealthy, I think, in Europe? I remember them pictured in Vanity Fair, all decked out in tight black leather - ach - it was gross. He is a real creep, a parasite. My definition of Euro-trash. I read several books about the case. How horrible to be in a coma for that long. I thought he did it.

Eve

Im 39 and gew up in NYC. This case was nightly news for years. RIP Sunny.

Supposedly the forensics of the time showed that he didn't do it. At least according to his wikipedia article. From that article, it links to an outside article that tells about (although briefly) what he does for work now
http://www.quahog.org/attractions/index.php?id=43
I think it's possible he didn't do it. He's definitely a cad among other things but...I don't know. With what is shown for evidence, I would have a hard time convicting him the second time

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back