WV WV - Mamie Thurman, 31, Logan County, 22 June 1932

msmikey

Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of the cold case of Mamie Thurman?

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ridge/4478/murder1.htm

This happened in Logan co wv June 22, 1932

Death came creeping in the dark to thirty-one-year-old dark-eyed brunette Mamie Thurman. On June 22, 1932, her lifeless body was found where it had been dumped on 22 Mountain which was then called Trace Mountain. Garland Davis, a young deaf- mute, stumbled upon the gruesome scene while picking blackberries. Little did he know that his discovery would lead to sensational headlines, and still have people wondering who killed Mamie Thurman.

I think it's pretty obvious who killed Mamie. Unfortunately, in those times, incarcerating the black hired man was more likely than incarcerating the rich white politic.

Wow msmikey thanks for posting! I love old cold cases and have never heard of Mamie. That's a great website with tons of info. I agree with youshouldveknown that it seems pretty obvious who killed her. I think Harry murdered her but I think he may have had Clarence dump her body and clean out the car.

A black man in Tennesse in 1932 with an all white jury, half of them clansmen didn't stand a chance. Hell, A black man accused of murdering a white woman, guilty or not, didn't stand a chance. So sad.

A new book was just published about Mamie's case in Sept or October by a local.

http://www.huntingtonnews.net/columns/081006-kinchen-columnsbookreview.html

Another book published in 2007:
http://www.buy.com/prod/ghost-of-22-mountain-the-story-of-mamie-thurman/q/loc/106/36481229.html

This is very true story and mystery..

I use to work up on top and other side of 22 Mountain RD traveled it daily..

This not the place to discuss it. But I bet there way into the hundrads to maybe thousands people that swear they seen her ghost...

You travel that RD to work 6 days a week for years you will become a believer too.

This case is famous in Southern WV..

The guy went to prison for this crime he very well could not commited lived the way I understand it a high on the hog as a person could get in WV Moundsville Prison..

I think I heard he was the Wardens personal man servent type of work..

This was the time of Sheriff Don Chaffin and in Blair Mt. & UMWA war time.. It was normal for people to just dissappear in Logan County..

Yes it is very Obvious who Killed Mamie. There are several old cases like this in wv.

you also have the Nell Rand and E R Bailey Case.
http://www.karisable.com/crunsnrand.htm

Nell's case is so similiar to Mamie's. you have sex,jealousy,money, Suspence all in a small town where people believe more in what others think then the actual truth.

I grew up in Kenova,wv about a few hours from Logan, Never heard of this story until I became interested in true crime. That's when I ran across both Cases. Both Cases scream out for Justice.

This is very true story and mystery..

I use to work up on top and other side of 22 Mountain RD traveled it daily..

This not the place to discuss it. But I bet there way into the hundrads to maybe thousands people that swear they seen her ghost...

You travel that RD to work 6 days a week for years you will become a believer too.

This case is famous in Southern WV..

The guy went to prison for this crime he very well could not commited lived the way I understand it a high on the hog as a person could get in WV Moundsville Prison..

I think I heard he was the Wardens personal man servent type of work..

This was the time of Sheriff Don Chaffin and in Blair Mt. & UMWA war time.. It was normal for people to just dissappear in Logan County..

My bolding. I don't think we would mind discussing it! I would love to hear about any experiences, sightings, accounts, etc that happened on 22 MT Rd.

When I googled her name it became pretty obvious she is infamous in the region. Every county, small town, etc has it's Mamie Thurman.

It makes me feel a little better that old Clarence got preverential treatment seeing as how he was innocent and all. Maybe the warden thought the same and felt sorry for him.

I think his wife knew about it too, because she said 'Don't leave him wanting for anything.' I take that to mean, 'He's going to jail for you. Make sure he gets the best treatment.'

Quite interesting and sad.

Gaia227.

Well this not a ghost site so I figure nobody would want to here ghost storys anyway..

Plus I am little afraid some Admin. would ban me trying to tell what happen about the strange stuff when on..

But I sure seen a bunch unexplained things happen in that area.. We hunted for a key for over 3 days one time then it show up in the lock by it self, Could not been a thief because nothing was ever missing from that storage trailer..

We could not keep a Security Guard, They keep quitting, I seen 1 waving a pistol around shooting one Monday morning, Thousand wonders he did not hit one of us coming to work early in the morning on the day shift...

We transfer that wild Security Guard to a different job site within 48 hours, We was afraid for our lifes coming to work early in the morning with him around shooting at everything that moved....:)

Just read them newspaper and books on Mamie Thurman you will find your fill of ghost stories and strange happenings about her..

She is bad to get in truck and ride with you every once in a while only to dissappear into thin air...

About all us would think some guy put his date out to walk home is why some of us would stop and pick her up, We got young Daughters at home we know how worryied her parents be if she not home at a pre arrange time..

You know we was try to help out that poor young girl most the time people never even think of Mamie until it was too late...

That area was kind of a lover's lane there for years..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthseeker158
Back