OH OH - Robert Tomlinson, 38, 1927

What Happened To Robert Tomlinson??

Robert Tomlinson was born July 25, 1889 in Marion Twp., Pike County, Ohio to Marshall Tomlinson (1846-1892) and Martha Ann SICKLES. Robert had 2 brothers, Frank, Born May 28, 1888 and Thurman Troy (1891-1978).

Robert married Mary Louise BENNETT on May 5, 1913 in Jackson County, Ohio.

Robert and Mary had 8 children:
Malissa Avenille 1910-1992
Thurman Edward 1911-1985
Delbert Delorse 1916-2001My Grandfather
Melvin Gail 1917-1998
Clifford Everett 1918-1997
Allen 1921-1975
Evelyn Florence 1924-2007
Margaret 1926-1996

Robert worked in the coal mines in and around Jackson County Ohio and West Virginia.

Sometime around 1927 Robert said he was going out to look for work and never returned, leaving his wife with 8 hungry children, 6 of whom were taken by the state and placed in the Greene County Children’s Home.

Someone in the family seems to remember a phone call was received sometime in the mid 1940’s stating that Robert was gravely ill and if the children wanted to see him they should come right away. That’s the last anyone has heard about him.

Seriously I have been fascinated with Eugene since my grandma explained to me why there was a man on display at a roadside attraction .

The "unknown man" could he be exhumed for DNA if still possible? (I'm not sure on the procedure and tested for relatives still alive?)

I think Robert lived on for some time based on Ancestry records. According to multiple trees on Ancestry his mother (Martha Ann Sickles) remarried in 1910 to Abraham Lincoln Oliver and, whilst I cannot find the marriage record confirming it, one of the trees has the obituary for Lincoln Oliver (it seems he did not use Abraham). This obituary from 1953, which I attach, names his stepsons who survive him as Bert, Frank and Thurman Tomlinson. Frank and Thurman are the names of Roberts brothers and confirmed by records on Ancestry. As well as this obituary naming Ro(Bert) as a survivor in 1953, there is also a 1930 census record showing him living with Lincoln and Martha in Springfield, Ohio and describing him as stepson and divorced. Unfortunately I cannot identify a death record.

Given the records and obituary it seems he lived on for many years.

Attachments

• tomlinson.jpg
    tomlinson.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 6
Thank you for your hard work with genealogy. Are you allowed to name "Joseph Alfred Meunier sister's name, since she is dead?" I'm also trying to find a later photo of him.

Thank you for your hard work with genealogy. Are you allowed to name "Joseph Alfred Meunier sister's name, since she is dead?" I'm also trying to find a later photo of him.

I am sure it is ok as she died in 2004 and appears on a public tree in Ancestry (people can hide trees if they do not want them seen). Her name was Marie Celina Levesque nee Meunier, died in Salem 20 June 2004. There are living descendants, so if dna becomes relevant at any point it should not be a problem. The family had moved to Salem from Quebec around 1900, so Canada becomes a possible link of interest in the case of Joseph.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back