Year's Biggest Full Moon Friday Night

Dark Knight

Reaction score
The full moon Friday night will be the biggest one of the year as Earth's natural satellite reaches its closest point to our planet.

Earth, the moon and the sun are all bound together by gravity, which keeps us going around the sun and keeps the moon going around us as it goes through phases. The moon makes a trip around Earth every 29.5 days. But the orbit is not a perfect circle.

The moon's average distance from us is about 238,855 miles (384,400 km). Friday night it will be just 221,560 miles (356,567 km) away. It will be 14 percent bigger in our sky and 30 percent brighter than some other full moons during the year, according to NASA.

Tides will be higher Friday night, too. Earth's oceans are pulled by the gravity of the moon and the sun. So when the moon is closer, tides are pulled higher. Scientists call these perigean tides, because the moon's closest point to Earth is called perigee. The farthest point on the lunar orbit is called apogee.

The moon will rise Friday evening right around sunset, no matter where you are. That's because of the celestial mechanics that produce a full moon: The moon and the sun are on opposite sides of the Earth, so that sunlight hits the full face of the moon and bounces back to our eyes.

At moonrise, the moon will appear even larger than it will later in the night when it's higher in the sky. This is an illusion that scientists can't fully explain. Some think it has to do with our perception of things on the horizon vs. stuff overhead.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20081211/sc_space/yearsbiggestfullmoonfridaynight;_ylt=Ai6GvUDb4_pI04vEzyfJ47ms0NUE

I just came in from shooting it! Hopefully I will get some down time and be able to offload the shots to share.

Here it is... shot at the long of my 100-400 lens... it was the best I could get with having no tripod and poor surroundings (I wanted to do a landscape shot with terrestrial objects in the foreground, but it had to be done off the cuff, so I just went with a direct moon rising shot). I just went outside to see if it was worth dragging the scope outside to shoot it, but the clouds have won out. :(

perigee1.jpg

I just came in from shooting it! Hopefully I will get some down time and be able to offload the shots to share.

Please share with me! I can send u my email thru pm, or if u wanna share with us all that's cool.
I saw it pretty big around 5:45-6:15 here in GA....after that, it looked just like any other fullish moon.

Here it is... shot at the long of my 100-400 lens... it was the best I could get with having no tripod and poor surroundings (I wanted to do a landscape shot with terrestrial objects in the foreground, but it had to be done off the cuff, so I just went with a direct moon rising shot). I just went outside to see if it was worth dragging the scope outside to shoot it, but the clouds have won out. :(

perigee1.jpg

WOW!:eek:

perigee1.jpg

Beautiful!

I'm not seeing it here, DK; it must be cloudy. I did notice an almost-full moon earlier tonight.

I saw it when I was out earlier and it literally took my breath away!!

It is beautiful. I was out earlier and the huge moon reminded me of my family. We are in different locations now they are out on their own, but we are always connected by the moon and the sunsets. I make sure they still pay attention to those small details in their hectic lives today.

I used to drop everything to take the kids outside to see both. Sometimes, we would drive to beautiful settings to watch together as the sun went down then wait on that moon to fill the night sky. There were even times I would awaken them and we would hop in the car to find a hillside where we would lay on top of the car to quietly watch the shooting stars cuddled underneath our blankets. Ah, what lovely memories!

Oh, Elphaba! Your photo is exquisite!! Very impressive!! I am in awe.

It is beautiful. I was out earlier and the huge moon reminded me of my family. We are in different locations now they are out on their own, but we are always connected by the moon and the sunsets. I make sure they still pay attention to those small details in their hectic lives today.

I used to drop everything to take the kids outside to see both. Sometimes, we would drive to beautiful settings to watch together as the sun went down then wait on that moon to fill the night sky. There were even times I would awaken them and we would hop in the car to find a hillside where we would lay on top of the car to quietly watch the shooting stars cuddled underneath our blankets. Ah, what lovely memories!
Oh, Elphaba! Your photo is exquisite!! Very impressive!! I am in awe.

That's great! It's fun to study the constellations. I live in a place where we don't have alot of light, so we can often see the stars really well and and occasionally a shooting star.

My biggest thrill has been to watch the Space Shuttle seem to go right over our house one night.

ELPHABA:
That photo is really neat - why does the moon look brown? (more closeup?) Just curious. I don't know much about photography.

perigee1.jpg

It's beautiful! Thanks for sharing such a stunning shot! Maybe I can use the scope I got last year to take my mind off of things. Stunning!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back