Identified! MD - Mt Pleasant, WhtMale UP6894, in woods, Dec'08 - Edwin Hobbs

NorthernMagpie

Reaction score
From an article in the Herald-Mail:

"MOUNT PLEASANT, Md. (AP) — The Frederick County Sheriff’s Office says it is investigating the skeletal remains of a man in his 40s found by a hunter east of Frederick.

Cpl. Jennifer Bailey says the bones were found around noon Saturday by a hunter walking in the woods along Gas House Pike, about three miles east of Frederick and a mile south of the unincorporated community of Mount Pleasant. "

More info from the Frederick News Post:

"An autopsy today has determined that remains found in some Frederick County woods over the weekend are that of a white man, believed to be in his mid- to late 40s, according to the Frederick County Sheriff’s Office."

(...)

"No items of identification were found with the remains, which could have been in the 9900 block of Gas House Pike since the summer, Bailey said.

Detective Regis Secola is leading the investigation.

A representative of the state medical examiner’s office also determined that the man had a severe fracture to his left foot that might have caused him to limp, Bailey said."

Home

I'm searching thru Maryland Missing's website and I've already found two possible matches from MD. Problem is, I can't remember how to link the site's info to this thread to see if anyone agrees with my matches. Help! TIA.

I was too impatient to wait for help, so I cut and paste the info. Anyone think either is worth forwarding to authorities? If so, how would I do that?

Name: Robert Pete Underwood Jr. (White - Male)
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 200 lbs.
Green Eyes, Ggray Hair

Robert walks with a bad limp. He was last seen on 8/16/2004 and could be be in Chicago.

Classification: Endangered Missing Adult
Alias / Nickname: Rob
Date of Birth: 1953-01-08
Date Missing: 2006-08-04
From City/State: Baltimore, MD
Missing From (Country): USA
Age at Time of Disappearance: 53
Race: White
Height: 68 inches
Weight: 170 pounds
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Hazel
Complexion: Light
Glasses/Contacts Description: Reading glasses.
Identifying Characteristics: Tattoo on chest (description not available), scars on left leg and lower back, metal plate above right eye in forehead, previously fractured lower left leg.
Clothing: Possibly wearing T-shirt, blue jeans, loafers.
Circumstances of Disappearance: Unknown. Robert was last seen at approximately 5:00pm leaving his residence in the vicinity of the 3400 block of Mt. Pleasant Ave. in Baltimore, MD. All personal belongings were left behind. Robert suffers from back injuries.
Investigative Agency: Baltimore Police Department
Phone: (443) 984-7385
Investigative Case #: 062H4588

From the NamUs link:

Blue knit cap, T-shirt with "State Use Industries" branding, size XXXXL, T-shirt with unknown label, blue jeans with an elastic waist, black web belt
Clothing with body
Footwear
Black ankle high hiking boots with "Mountain Gear" branding.

According to this link: http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/publicinfo/pdfs/pressreleases/20051019.pdf

State Use Industries changed it's name in 2005 to Maryland Correctional Enterprises. It employs inmates (or ex-inmates? not real sure).

So this could have been someone who worked there prior to 2005 or someone who was once an inmate. Or some down on his luck guy that just bought the T-shirt at Goodwill or something. But XXXXL is a pretty big shirt. That with the elastic waist blue jeans, and I think we should be looking for someone of substantial weight, IMO.

This may be a silly question ... why don't they tell us what size the boots are? Seems like if they can still tell the brand the size should be obvious. Just wondering.

I can't comment on the size, but Mountain Gear is a fairly high-end brand of hiking boots -- they're not cheap and they don't often show up in used clothing bins. I would guess that he probably had them to support his bad foot.

Robert Underwood Jr. https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/2435/40 looks like a very close match but he and the UID both have DNA in the system so it's probably a ruleout by default.

That's a good possibility. He would have been within the age range in 2008. A bit tall. Says he might have been wearing hiking boots.

Looks like he has DNA in the system.

I can't comment on the size, but Mountain Gear is a fairly high-end brand of hiking boots -- they're not cheap and they don't often show up in used clothing bins. I would guess that he probably had them to support his bad foot.

Robert Underwood Jr. https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/2435/40 looks like a very close match but he and the UID both have DNA in the system so it's probably a ruleout by default.

(bbm) That's what I assumed also until I had a conversation with a CSI detective working unidentified cases in Illinois ... I'd have to look back in my notes to find her name & her explanation but it was to the effect that just because it says DNA available on NAMUS does NOT mean it has automatically been compared & ruled out. I really will have to find my notes ... it was helpful to know why not.

On the other hand, most of the time LE's answer is "ruleout by default." But if somebody wants to call the Maryland authorities, it might be worth checking.

http://www.wfmd.com/articles/wfmd-l...-determine-identity-of-human-remains-13460090

The cause and manner of death are still under investigation, but the Frederick County Sheriff's Office has identified the human remains found more than six years ago as those of Edwin Philip Hobbs.

Major Tim Clarke, Operations Commander for the Sheriff's Office, says on December 13th, 2008, deputies were dispatched to a wooded area near the intersection of Boyers Mill Road and Gas House Pike for human remains...

Hobbs was released from the Maryland Division of Corrections on February 8th, 2008. The Associated Press reports that Hobbs was serving 15 years for motor vehicle theft in Frederick. On that day he was released, Hobbs visited the Frederick Community Action Agency seeking assistance. That was the last time anyone saw him alive, says Major Clarke.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back