Is Rudolph Male Or Female?

MagicRose99

Watch out for my thorns!
Reaction score
There may be a perfectly good reason why Santa doesn't get lost on his annual Christmas globetrot: His fictional flying reindeer just might be females who don't mind stopping for directions.

The gender of Rudolph and his/her sleigh-hauling friends - the subject of goofy Internet chatter every year about this time - is now being pondered by even the renowned wildlife experts at Texas A&M University.

"Santa's reindeers were really females, most likely," said Dr. Alice Blue-McLendon, a veterinary medicine professor specializing in deer who cites the depictions of Santa's helpers with antlers as the primary evidence. It turns out real reindeer grow antlers regardless of gender, and most bulls typically shed their fuzzy protrusions before Christmas.

And my favorite line [snipped]:
"Bulls are tuckered out from rutting season when they mate with as many as a dozen females in months leading up to December. That leaves them depleted and too lean to pull a sleigh or sled through heavy snows, Finstad said."

http://www.kcra.com/holidays/18316746/detail.html

Nooooooooooo........!:eek: Didn't Rudolf marry Clarice?

(One of my chihuahua's looks just like Clarice.:))

LMAO!!! Yup... Rudolph did marry Clarice! LOL!

I always thought Rudolph had to be female because of the built-in GPS tracking system and radar. ;) I say they didn't have to stop to ask for directions because Rudolph could multi-task.

LOL - it's never even crossed my mind that he was anything but...you know, what with Clarice and all!:blowkiss:

Isn't it funny how as you get older, everything seems to change? I mean, really? Whodathunkit? However, it does make since. I mean, after all, Rudolph always knew where to go and never got lost! Plus, Rudolph was equipped with emotions.

Here's the final word. We have a copy of the original Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, written in 1939 by advertising copywriter Robert May for Montgomery Ward. I was reading it to my kids this a.m. Ward created Rudolph and refers to him as "he" throughout the story!!

Rudolph is a boy. DH and I were talking about this the other day, lol...

Alright you guys. I've always admitted that I'm a scrooge and I don't usually watch the christmas cartoons and whatnot, but I'm stymied. I have to admit, I've never heard of either Olive or Clarice. Enlighten please? When I think of Olive, I think of Popeye and of course, Clarice reminds me of Starling. Neither of which can be confused with Christmas stories or Rudolph!

The other reindeer "used to laugh and call him names." And I don't care what anybody says or any cartoon purports to relate. Rudolf does not now, nor has he ever, RUTTED!! Look at him.
rudolph_the_rednosed_reindeer_1939.jpg

No, it's "Olive, the other reindeer, used to laugh and call him names". She wasn't a very good girlfriend.

I wish people would stop referring to Olive and Clarice. They are completely imaginary. I'd prefer we stuck to the Rudolph facts.

I will never accept that Clarice was a lesbian.Never!:)

No, it's "Olive, the other reindeer, used to laugh and call him names". She wasn't a very good girlfriend.

LOL! You crack me up!:laugh:

Eve

Male or female, I think Rudolf hits the bottle a little too hard to be guiding the sleigh. What with that red nose and all. Just sayin.......

There may be a perfectly good reason why Santa doesn't get lost on his annual Christmas globetrot: His fictional flying reindeer just might be females who don't mind stopping for directions.

The gender of Rudolph and his/her sleigh-hauling friends - the subject of goofy Internet chatter every year about this time - is now being pondered by even the renowned wildlife experts at Texas A&M University.

"Santa's reindeers were really females, most likely," said Dr. Alice Blue-McLendon, a veterinary medicine professor specializing in deer who cites the depictions of Santa's helpers with antlers as the primary evidence. It turns out real reindeer grow antlers regardless of gender, and most bulls typically shed their fuzzy protrusions before Christmas.

And my favorite line [snipped]:
"Bulls are tuckered out from rutting season when they mate with as many as a dozen females in months leading up to December. That leaves them depleted and too lean to pull a sleigh or sled through heavy snows, Finstad said."

http://www.kcra.com/holidays/18316746/detail.html

Yeah ladies, remember that the next time a guy rolls over and goes to sleep after it's over. :mad:

Isn't it funny how as you get older, everything seems to change? I mean, really? Whodathunkit? However, it does make since. I mean, after all, Rudolph always knew where to go and never got lost! Plus, Rudolph was equipped with emotions.

True, but after being turned down for Santa's sled team he didn't grab pint of Ben & Jerry's and sit crying in front of the TV watching old Sex in the City reruns though? :rolleyes:

The other reindeer "used to laugh and call him names." And I don't care what anybody says or any cartoon purports to relate. Rudolf does not now, nor has he ever, RUTTED!! Look at him.
rudolph_the_rednosed_reindeer_1939.jpg

That is just plain out mean!!:furious:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82