OH OH - Beverly Jarosz, 16, Garfield Heights, 28 Dec 1964

Stella

Reaction score
In Cleveland on December 28, 1964, 16 year old Beverly Jarosz was strangled and stabbed 40 times in her home in broad daylight. A very interesting and unsolved case;to read more, just google her name. Anyone from Cleveland here who remembers this case?

I am not from Cleveland, but checked out the story anyway.

It sounds as if the killer was prepared before he arrived as the story says he had the rope with a square knot in it- had the killer done this kind of crime before? I hope with the newest technology they can find the person responsible for this. The boy who lied about seeing the killer just to get his name in the paper concerns me.

I read about this case right after it happened. I bought a Plain Dealer to read about the Browns victory in the NFL title game and saw the story about the murder. There is a chapter on this in the paperback book, "Death Ride at Euclid Beach". It indicates a resident across the street from the Jarosz home saw a young man leave the house at about the same time as the murder, get into a vehicle and drive away. It was also reported that shortly before she was killed, Beverly received two "gifts" from an unknown person that upset her. It was felt that she may have known the person who killed her. Even after all of the years, it is hoped the killer could be identified, then found and prosecuted.

It is a very interesting and very sad unsolved murder case. James Renner, of Cleveland Free Times, and John Stark Bellamy, author of “Death Ride at Euclid Beach,” have both written about this murder. If anyone is interested in learning more about this murder, a great deal of information has been contributed by posters interested in learning more about this murder and sharing what they know or suspect on the following website, http://www.topix.com/forum/cleveland/TN4D7PUG7BV0NNHN3, or by searching for, The Enduring Mystery of Beverly Jarosz.

In James Renner's book The Serial Killer's Apprentice, there is a chapter about Beverly Jarosz. It was such a provocative story that it left me with lots of questions:

--- Why would Bev, as well as her mother, feel a dark foreboding of death and danger coming at them in the weeks before Bev was murdered? Had the family had some kind of trauma that we don't know about? That made them feel "what next?" (We all have had that kind of PTSD when we suffer several great losses in a row...)

--- Was the gift box or the anonymous gifts (of the silver bracelet and ring) available for forensic testing?

--- Why did the apparently nice young man, James M, living next door to Bev's grandmother go home and change his clothes after his stated 15-minute trip driving Bev home? He said he did that and then had something for lunch.

--- Bev made a habit of locking all the doors all the time, so... who did she let in between her 1:00-ish phone call to her mom and the 1:20 arrival of her friend Barb? The window of opportunity might have been smaller, depending on how long she spoke with her mom. Was the murderer already in the house? If so, how?

--- Was there some stress between Bev and Barb, with Bev hurrying to be ready for Barb's 1PM arrival, and Barb stating she thought Bev might not be answering the doorbell because Bev was irritated Barb was late? It just didn't sound like an easygoing relationship.

--- Same as above.... why did Barb leave when there was no answer at the door, yet she heard loud music and a crashing like a dresser drawer closing inside? Did she really think Bev was angry at her? Wouldn't she have have gone to a house next door and called Bev? It sounded like there was tension in that relationship. Or, they were more casual friends where you give the other person "more space"?

--- It didn't seem like Bev recognized the voice of the man, "Stephen Stackowicz" (who called maybe to find out if Bev was home alone)? If she recognized the voice as a boyfriend or a guy she knew, she wouldn't have left her father that written message.

--- Bev was strangled with a rope tied in a square knot. Who typically uses that kind of knot? Per Wiki, it's used for sailing, tying bandages, macrame, sashes, obis, and belts, as well as in Boy (or Girl) Scouts.

--- What happened to the 19-year-old boy, John P who was home the day of the murder and admitted to watching Bev sunbathe previously?

--- Bev's current boyfriend, Roger M didn't have a good alibi, just that he was home sick... Detective Horrigan felt there were questionable things in his story, even though Roger passed a lie detector test. Remember that forensics showed that Bev had never had sex... a current boyfriend might be a likely guy to put the pressure on for that and then get enraged at a refusal.

--- Besides James Renner's book, I've read posters' comments about the middle-aged, on-strike/off-from-work neighbor, James k, who often stood at his window and looked at Bev's house. At first he said he saw the killer running away, but later changed his story to say that he lied to get attention. Posters wondered if he was paid off by the murderer's family....

I'd love to hear comments or corrections!

I had never heard of this case prior to reading this, but the 'ominous' feelings she and her Mother had about death, really makes me wonder what all had occured. Very creepy for sure!

Beverly Jarosz

Birth: unknown
Garfield Heights
Cuyahoga County
Ohio, USA

Death: Dec. 28, 1964
Garfield Heights
Cuyahoga County
Ohio, USA

Beverly Jarosz was a victim of one of the more horrific murders in the Cleveland area. On December 28, 1964, 16 year old Beverly was brutally strangled and stabbed in her home in Garfield Heights around 1:30 PM during her winter break from Marymount High School.
Her murder remains unsolved.

Beverly was a pretty girl with light brown hair and blue eyes, quiet, studious, loved literature and music, wrote poetry and volunteered her time at the nearby Marymount Hospital.

The only clues to her death were mysterious gifts of jewelry that she received anonymously in the months before her murder. The police felt someone she knew killed her as she would not have opened the door to anyone.

Burial:
Calvary Cemetery
Cleveland
Cuyahoga County
Ohio, USA

Source:

Beverly Jarosz ( - 1964) - Find A Grave Memorial

LINK:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=8949797

Cleveland Detective Vincent Ferrini wasn't looking to solve a murder for some other community.

But Ferrini was intrigued when an accused kidnapper told him in 1965 that he had murdered 16-year-old Beverly Jarosz -- and pointed him to the location of the murder weapon.

Somehow, nothing came of the information, a fact that bothered Ferrini until the day he died in 1994. Now that story has resurfaced, as told by George Pallotta, his son-in-law.

When Pallotta learned that Garfield Heights was reopening the Jarosz murder case, he repeated the story Ferrini had told him -- that William Rehard had admitted killing Beverly on Dec. 28, 1964.

According to Pallotta, Ferrini said he recovered a butcher's trimming knife and items of Jarosz's clothing in a Greyhound bus station locker -- exactly where the 22-year-old Rehard had said they were.

But before Rehard could be questioned further, or make a written confession, he committed suicide in the Cuyahoga County Jail. Later, when Ferrini asked to see the evidence he had turned over to Cleveland police, he was told it had been destroyed, Pallotta said....

LINK:

http://www.cleveland.com/whateverhappened/index.ssf/2005/01/new_tale_adds_twist_to_1960s_m.html

It appears that Beverly let in the person who killed her. From all accounts, she was quite cautious - especially after receiving the recent "gifts" that had alarmed her. One would assume she would have locked the door after she returned home and only have admitted someone she knew and knew well. From the sounds she heard, Beverly's girlfriend, Barbara, must have been at the door when the killing was taking place. One shudders to think what might have happened had she remained outside for a few more minutes. Barbara may have seen the killer leave, but she may also have also become his next victim.

Cleveland Detective Vincent Ferrini wasn't looking to solve a murder for some other community.

But Ferrini was intrigued when an accused kidnapper told him in 1965 that he had murdered 16-year-old Beverly Jarosz -- and pointed him to the location of the murder weapon.

Somehow, nothing came of the information, a fact that bothered Ferrini until the day he died in 1994. Now that story has resurfaced, as told by George Pallotta, his son-in-law.

When Pallotta learned that Garfield Heights was reopening the Jarosz murder case, he repeated the story Ferrini had told him -- that William Rehard had admitted killing Beverly on Dec. 28, 1964.

According to Pallotta, Ferrini said he recovered a butcher's trimming knife and items of Jarosz's clothing in a Greyhound bus station locker -- exactly where the 22-year-old Rehard had said they were.

But before Rehard could be questioned further, or make a written confession, he committed suicide in the Cuyahoga County Jail. Later, when Ferrini asked to see the evidence he had turned over to Cleveland police, he was told it had been destroyed, Pallotta said....

LINK:

http://www.cleveland.com/whateverhappened/index.ssf/2005/01/new_tale_adds_twist_to_1960s_m.html
-----------------------------

I knew George, in fact the whole Pallotta family. They are very honest people. I havent seen them in years. I was close to his sister Mary in my teens.He would speak the truth.I do remember this case. There was no sign of forced entry.

Bump for Bev. 48 years with no solution yet.

Did the anonymous gifts come in the mail ? Or were they left outside her door ? TIA to anyone who might know...

One of the primary suspects John Palyan died in January 2013. He was the neighbor who lived two doors down that admitted he used to observe Bev sun bathe in the summer in her bikini. He also was given a lie detector test and apparently passed, however, new information came out that he asked someone "How do you pass a polygraph test?" Further, the police theorized his sister may have known about his activity and disposed of the murder weapon. Basically, this suspect turned out to be a dead end. Her current boyfriend at the time in 1964, still alive today, is considered the primary suspect. I will not mention his name here but it is all over the net on Beverly Jarosz blogs.

I wonder how LE determined that Beverly was stabbed AND strangled at the same time? That would indicate 2 people. Did the killer(s) only bring the clothesline, then use Bev's ornate letter opener/knife that she kept out in plain sight, to stab her 40 times? It was never found and presumably taken away from the scene of the crime by the perp. Someone suggested that Bev may have left the side door unlocked and the door open so that Barb could just come in if she (Bev) was still upstairs changing. But would she be that trusting, even for a few minutes, if she was so frightened of something happening? The only way I can see Rebard doing this is if she left the door unlocked for Barb and I don't know if I buy that. Which means someone she KNEW and trusted killed her. I know the young man from her neighborhood who commited suicide a few weeks later had some sort of alibi (at work?) but did LE really take a good look at him as a suspect?

The Serial Killer's Apprentice by James Renner

I located a couple of early archived news articles.

Fatal Stabbing of Girl Called "Worst Killing"
December 29, 1964

Three Books Salesmen Under Questioning
February 17, 1965

Girl's Murder Still Haunts Retired Detective
December 25, 1989

Police, armed with new tools, reopen '64 case
By nbye
on December 26, 2004 at 12:56 PM, updated October 27, 2008 at 12:57 PM
Sackett and Biegacki hope they can produce fresh leads in the case using advanced tools not available to the original investigators. Last month, they asked the coroner's office to take another look at evidence found at the crime scene -- Beverly's torn blouse, a bedspread, pieces of hair and threads and a 66-inch piece of rope.

"It's still an active investigation," Sackett said. "With the development of DNA [testing] and other technological advances, some piece of evidence may prove valuable in solving the case...
Beverly, nude from the waist down and covered with blood, lay face down on the floor. Between her fingers was a short strand of rope, slashed from a longer piece that her killer held taut around her neck while slashing her with a knife, police later theorized.
What's happening with the investigation into the 1964 slaying of Garfield Heights teenager Beverly Jarosz, who was stabbed and strangled to death in her home?
Plain Dealer -- October 27, 2008

The case was reopened about four years ago with the hope that new DNA technology would reveal clues. Garfield Heights police re-interviewed most of the people close to the case. Several were asked to submit a DNA sample.

"So far, we haven't been able to eliminate or identify any prime suspects based on the new DNA results," said Garfield Heights police Capt. Robert Sackett.
Forensic examiner/writer, Lisa Black, posted a nice summary of the case in March of this year.

http://www.leelofland.com/wordpress/lisa-black-famous-unsolved-cleveland-homicide-beverly-jarosz/

This case is new to me, so I'm still gathering the facts. This is what I've found so far from the articles I posted.

Cause of death was strangulation
Stabbed 40 times, in "a series of three", with a 4-5 inch knife.
A dozen defensive cuts on victim's hands
Beaten
No sexual assault
Nude below the waist
66" length of rope tied at the neck and ankles, "trussed up" (12/29/64 article)
A shorter piece of the same rope lay between the fingers of one hand.
A hole had been punched or kicked through the low plaster ceiling.
Lying face down on the floor of her second story bedroom
Ripped clothes littered the floor. Blood splattered everywhere.
Police found two smudged fingerprints (2008 article says 3 sets of un-ID'd prints recovered.)
Strands of Bev's hair are found near the back door.
LE believe Bev knew her killer as she was known to always keep doors locked, and there was no sign of forced entry.

Summer 1964 -- a Higbee's department store gift box with "To Bev" written on it was left at the back door. Inside are a silver ring and bracelet.

Monday, December 28, 1964
Thornton Avenue
Garfield Heights, Cuyahoga County, OH

Noon-12:15 -- An 18-year-old male friend drops off Bev at her home. She had been at her grandmother's house, and the young man was her grandmother's neighbor who agreed to give her a ride.

12:45 -- Bev writes a note for her dad that a man named Steven Stackowicz called him. No one knows if the call was related to the murder or not, but Mr. Jarozs said he did not recognize the name.

1:00-1:15 -- Bev talks to her mother on the phone twice. The second time she tells her mother she has to hang up because she is expecting her friend Barb to arrive very soon. The two have plans to go to a third friend's house.

1:25 -- Barb's mother drops her off. When no answer at front door, she goes around to the side door. Finds it ajar, but storm door locked. Loud music coming from inside. She hears a noise "like furniture falling" (or "a dresser being knocked over"). Rings the bell and knocks for five minutes or so, then goes home.

1:28-2:15 -- time of death determined by coroner.

The third friend calls Barb to see why she and Bev hadn't shown up at her house. The two are concerned, and the third friend calls Bev's grandmother. Grandmother calls father, who leaves work to go home and check on Bev.

4:10 -- Father arrives home. Both side doors are open. Loud music blaring from inside. He finds Bev in her second floor bedroom. (One report states 3:00 P.M.)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kac1991
Back