Lake Superior State University 2009 List of Banished Words

Dark Knight

Reaction score
"It's that time of year again!"
Lake Superior State University "maverick" word-watchers, fresh from the holiday "staycation" but without an economic "bailout" even after a "desperate search," have issued their 34th annual List of Words to Be

Banished from the Queen's English for Mis-use, Over-use and General Uselessness. This year's list may be more "green" than any of the previous lists and includes words and phrases that people from "Wall Street to Main Street" say they love "not so much" and wish to have erased from their "carbon footprint."

This year's list:

http://www.lssu.edu/banished/current.php

DK, that link didn't work for me... ??

Great list. I agree with 99% of it.

My only dispute: Picking on <3 is just picky. It's not a word. You don't actually hear it, so it doesn't get annoying. You don't see it unless someone sends it to you. Normal people know what it means. Who slams an "I love you." ??? Someone who doesn't ever see it!

It seems to be working for me. Maybe the extra traffic crashed it earlier.
Yep, worked for me now - must've been too much traffic, I hadn't even thought of that. :doh:

I've never heard anyone add monkey to names, so I'd become meowymonkey? I don't get it.

That phrase "not so much" hah! A friend of ours says that a lot. I've even heard him say it when it doesn't really fit into the statement he's making. He just sort of tacks it onto the end.

Then there's the iconic term, ugh.. every time I see Top Design they refer to Johnathon Adler as an iconic potter. I shouldn't care what title he wants to go by, but it annoys me when they say it.

Great list. I agree with 99% of it.

My only dispute: Picking on <3 is just picky. It's not a word. You don't actually hear it, so it doesn't get annoying. You don't see it unless someone sends it to you. Normal people know what it means. Who slams an "I love you." ??? Someone who doesn't ever see it!

I didn't even know what that meant until this list came out! I kept seeing it and wondering what in the heck less than 3 meant, lol! So at least I finally learned what that was!

And I have never heard of the monkey thing before now. No clue what that's about!

<3 &#8211; Supposed to resemble a heart, or stand for the word 'love.' Used when sending those important text messages to loved ones. "Just say the word instead of making me turn my head sideways and wondering what 'less than three' means." Andrea Estrada, Chicago.

Now thats funny about the making me turn my head sideways and wondering what less than 3 is LOL

So is this list just their opinion ?

I didn't even know what that meant until this list came out! I kept seeing it and wondering what in the heck less than 3 meant, lol! So at least I finally learned what that was!

And I have never heard of the monkey thing before now. No clue what that's about!

Now thats funny about the making me turn my head sideways and wondering what less than 3 is LOL

So is this list just their opinion ?

I just know that on fb, it actually gets converted into a little heart. I don't get how it could be annoying unless someone loves you that you don't love back. In which case you have bigger issues than "text speak."

The monkey thing went right over my head too. I think this guy is hanging out with a different crowd than me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back