Girls to stay in principal's office until they remove nose studs

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Two eighth-grade girls have been in the principal's office for more than two weeks as they continue to flout a ban on facial piercings.

Lauren White and Ashleigh Ramsey have had to keep their nose piercings out of sight at Oberon Middle School in Arvada, so they complete their schoolwork in the office.

"They just send down your homework, and you have to just read it and that's it," Lauren said. "If you need help, you have to go in after school."

She said she has needed to get help, especially in math, almost every day, but that's not prompting Lauren to take out the nose stud.

Rick Kaufman, a spokesman for the Jefferson County School District, said that until the girls abide by the school's rules and remove their nose studs, they will remain in the principal's office. Policies vary from school to school, but Oberon only allows earrings, he said.

Ashleigh's mother, Lynn, said the girls don't mind doing the time if it means they can keep the studs. Ashleigh said her grades have slipped from the A and B range to Cs, but she won't give up.

"You have to keep a cap on it and not let them go completely hog wild," Lynn Ramsey said of raising a teenager.

She believes that if parents let their kids have some leeway earlier, "when they're older, they're not going to freak out and do crazy stuff."

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%7E53%7E2152901,00.html

Eighth grader's?!? They can't be more than thirteen or so, what are they doing with nose piercings? This is one of those times when I blame the parents!!!

Ashleigh said her grades have slipped from the A and B range to Cs, but she won't give up.

If she was my child, I would see what kind of grades she got with my foot up her butt!

I would rip that freaking nose ring out so fast that girl's head would spin! The ONLY thing these idiots HAVE to do is go to school. That's their sole purpose in life until they grow up, get a job and heaven forbid, have children of their own.

I thought parents have to sign for such things??

Obviously the parents are encouraging this!!

I think you're right! I've always told my kids that if they can get away with it at school, I'd let them do it. Of course, that leaves almost everything out! LOL My son wanted to pierce his ear when he was about 12 years old and I let them during the summer because it would have to heal enough before school started so he could take the earring out and put it in his pocket as our school system doesn't allow boys to wear earrings.

Now see I have no problem with that..
On one hand I see nothing wrong with letting them a piercing..
I can't say I'd allow the face thing though.
But if my daughter who is almost 15 wanted her belly button peirced I'd probably ok it.
But it would not be showing at school. (for that matter she never shows her belly anyhow)

I think a better lesson these parents should teach is "pick your battles"
I agree with the school.. School is not a fashion show and I am more comfortable with the school nt encouraging that and an arguement could be made that facial piercings woukd be a distraction ...
Something against most schools code of conduct.

Personally I don't have a problem with nose piercings, I think they look good.

What I have a problem with is these girls have violated their school dress policy and they are not being sent home each day! They are being allowed to flaunt the fact that they are disobey the rules and suffering no consquences.

Send them home each day that they violate, give them no make-up homeworkA after they have missed the allowable days and fail , they'll have to do summer school like all the other kids who don't follow the rules.

I agree with you! I'm seriously "old school" myself and I think I'm way more strict than the school is. My kids are not allowed tattoos or any other piercings other than ears. After my oldest boy got his pierced, he let it close up a few weeks later. I volunteered to take him to get it redone, but even though he wouldn't admit it, I think it hurt too much and he was scared! He's 24 now - I figured that he's at least have one tattoo by now, but nope - no tattoos and no earrings! Now my middle son wants to get his ear pierced - here we go again! LOL

I agree with you as well Fleur.

They should be sent home like every other child.
I understand what the mother is saying about letting them do little harmless things... Maybe that is why she permitted the peircing... BUT IMO something like this is affecting her school work it is not little or harmless and teaches that they can do this is real life..
I'm thinking a boss is going to say take it out or your fired.
Not.. well, sit in my office until you agree.

My 3rd grader - daughter - was talking the other day about a 5th grader (who is my size I swear to God) who was sent to the nurse's office to get something appropriate to wear since her parents let her come to school looking like a "hootchie mama." The nurse has got these God awful house dreses that she had to have picked up at the dollar store that are like a size 2XL - I'm sure the little girl looked quite lovely in it! :p

I have to disagree just a bit here. I don't see the problem with it at all. With all the other stuff that goes on in school nowadays, a little nose stud is wayyyyyyyyyy down on the list of problems, IMHO! I think the fact that these girls are going to school and getting A's and B's is great! They could be alot worse. I think the school system should be worrying more about things like drug use, pregnancy, child abuse and neglect, students skipping school, and other such things.

My oldest daughter is 14 and is going to be in the 8th grade this Fall. While I would not allow my daughter to get a nose piercing, I don't judge other Parent's for doing it.

Although I am surprised that a child would be allowed to have a nose piercing, that is not my problem with this story. I am more appalled that these girls are being allowed to defy the rules and that Ashleigh's mother doesn't seem to mind that her grades have slipped from A's and B's to C's as a result. No matter how small of an issue it seems to be, a rule is a rule and everyone has to follow them.

mommyd said:
With all the other stuff that goes on in school nowadays, a little nose stud is wayyyyyyyyyy down on the list of problems, IMHO! QUOTE]

That's like saying we have so many other problems in the world, we won't worry about thieves and pickpockets.

I agree with Ike that the Mother should not be letting the grades slip. Two of my three daughters are afraid to miss school when they are sick. It's very hard to get the grades back up and this seems like a rebellious waste of time. How hard is it to remove the studs during school? As Ike said, there are rules, which is a good lesson learned. We may not always appreciate the rules but why shoot your foot off?:boohoo:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back