Chinese drywall causes problems on the Treasure Coast

fran

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Chinese drywall causes problems on the Treasure Coast

PORT ST. LUCIE — Martin and St. Lucie counties are two of nearly a dozen counties where complaints of possible exposure to the contaminated drywall in new homes have arisen.

The problem may have been sparked by drywall imported during the local construction boom of 2004 and 2005.

Some common symptoms are irritated eyes, coughing, sneezing, difficulty breathing, and symptoms similar to bronchitis and asthma.

<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/dec/24/chinese-drywall-causes-problems-treasure-coast/

I want to know why we keep importing stuff from China? Now we can't even buy a new house without being afraid we're being poisoned? From sandals to toys to baby formula to construction material.

:(

JMHO
fran

We need to ban all imports from China, there's too many contaminated and poisoned items, it's obvious they don't care if they kill us by now.

When is this crazy stuff going to end?... I do not understand what is the problem with buying drywall that was made in the grand ole USA

Chinese Drywall Is Reason For Homeowners' Illness
Drywall may be to blame for homeowners' illness
Sunday, January 18, 2009

MANATEE COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- Several homeowners in Manatee County who bought during the housing boom said they are now having health problems and their new homes are to blame.

Homeowner Maryna, who opted not to give her last name, said that about a year after she moved into her new home in the Heritage Harbour subdivision, she started feeling like something was wrong.

Since 2006, when she and her two-year-old son moved in, their air conditioner has quit working several times and her mirrors and silver frames have tarnished.

But what concerns Maryna the most is that she and her young son have started to develop health problems.

"They said effects are respiratory problems and your throat is sore and this is exactly what we have," she said.

Maryna contacted her builder and the county health department to find out what was going on. An inspector told her that he believes her problems stemmed from the drywall used in her home. The drywall was imported from China and has been used in dozens of homes between 2005 and 2006.
Maryna is not alone in her complaints. Several of her neighbors have reported similar issues, along with others throughout southwest Florida.

A representative with the state health department said it is too early to tell if there are potential health problems associated with the drywall. In the meantime, concerned homeowners are urged to contact their local health departments and builders to report problems.

Chuck Henry, the environmental administrator of the Sarasota County Health Department, said his office is taking the drywall concerns very seriously.

"While the concentrations are so low that most of our standard field equipment can't detect it, it's still a question of concern since individuals are experiencing symptoms," he said.

The Sarasota County Health Department said one of the first indicators of the problematic Chinese drywall is a faulty air-conditioner. Most of the homeowners affected noticed their air-conditioning coils were black, as was the copper wiring in their electrical units. Many of them also reported a smell of sulfur in their homes.
Maryna has also said her builder has acknowledged the problem and offered to replace the drywall. For that to happen, she'll have to move out for six months, an inconvenience she said she's not happy about but is willing to do if it means keeping her family healthy.
http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2...18/427373.html

I missed this when you first posted, but THANK YOU! You've reminded me I had made a decision to do everything possible to avoid purchasing anything that originates in China. I wish I'd have remembered before I bought my cute litte Spoontiques coffee mug.....it's as cute as a button, but now I'm worried if it will turn out to have lead in it or something else harmful to me.

Yet another reason to continue the repairing of my 103-year-old horse hair plaster. The stairwell and hallway are now ready for paint! :woohoo:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back