Deceased/Not Found Australia - Sean Sargent, 24, Ferny Hills, Qld, 19 March 1999

Just-Jilly

Reaction score
Hi folks. Long time lurker here, looking for some more info from the elite in sleuthers.
I watched a programme yesterday in the UK, called missing. One of the cases was abut a young man named Sean Sargent. I have tried to find some further info on his case, but to no avail. I was wondering if someone on here would investigate this case, as you are all fantastic at digging around.
This case is shrouded in mystery and has me absolutely hooked. here are details given by his desperate family on the programme.

it is approx 8 yrs ago he went missing
He was a lieutenant in the army and never missed a days work
He was last seen at a party with friends, walking towards his car to sleep. His car has never been found since he went missing.
About a month before he vanished he told his girlfriend they had to finish as he had something to do
About a week before he vanished he amalgamated all his accounts into one

Since his disappearance, his dad contacted the army to see if he had been officially discharged. They would not say but gave him a date he could be discharged. Seans father contacted the army on this given date, but again they refused to tell him if his son had been discharged.
His sister is called Nancy Anderson
Shortly after his disappearance the family received a file marked top secret. They contacted missing, who said to photocopy it and send to them. Sean's dad mentioned this to Seans seargant, who said. dont do that or we will prosecute. The family did not disclose hat the file containd, but did say they hd returned it to the army.
The army will no longer speak to Seans dad, or return his calls.
Shortly after Sean's disappearance, the family started receiving strange phone calls. The caller does not speak, but they can be heard breathing. Toms mum speaks to the mystery caller, as if it is her son. The first time she did this the caller hung up. The family have received dozens of these calls and are still receiving them 8 yrs later. They have been traced to Engand, Canada and Ireland.
That is all the info i jotted down from the programme.
I am hoping someone will delve into this case to help give the family closure. Maybe even contact the father, who i am sure has much more to tell.
Having briefly looked on the internet and with my limited knowledge, i can find very little (i dont know how you uys do it). Some articles mention Sean was involvd in an altercation with another man outside a party, but the dad never mentiond this on the programme.
Jilly

Not sparked anyones curiosity ?

It would be great if someone could help with this

I live in Australia and in the same state Sean vanished in. However I never heard of the case before.
I note his car vanished too. I doubt there is much information on this case made known to the public but I will see if I can find anything.
Maybe it was a freak accident or maybe it is a bit more sinister.

Hi Jilly

Im confused :) the show was in the UK but the Man was from Australia ?

Is that correct

Ok just googled him and got these hits

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/News+and+Alerts/missingPersons/r_z/sargent.htm
http://www.crimenet.org/show_missing.phtml?id=236&sid=5980509eaf98e08e1c53a945ecf1e33c
https://www.missingpersons.gov.au/who-missing/qld/sargent-sean

His car is also missing

Interesting there is a email link for a sean sargent in here http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/lists/progsoc/1998/05/msg00006.html

About a 3rd of the way down and dated >29-04-98 03:01 PM

Missing Sean Sargent was last seen 19th March 2008 so the email addy above could well be his

More herehttp://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3728dmqld.html

According to the Australian Federal Police Sean was involved in a fight outside the residence he had been attending a party at.
Possibly it was a 'get square'.

http://www.missingpersons.gov.au/profile.aspx?Id=1218

Picture of Sean and some brief details of his disappearance - No mention of the Army links - which is hardly surprising, given the nature of military secrecy...

There appears to be very little to go on here, which is deeply disappointing.

Sean is also listed on doenetwork Case File 3728DMQLD http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3728dmqld.html

Seems we all posted at around the same time, guys - Sorry if I've duplicated any links...

No worries LOL

No one replies and then we all do - always the way hey!

Does anyone know what his parents did for a living ?

There is a Sean Sargent in WA that is a pyhsio currently and there are some Sargents in QLD that are physios

Thanks for picking this up you lovely people. I was hoping someone would contact his father and get him on here.

The programme was shown in England. The last few in the series were about Australia for some reason.

I dont have the time or knowledge to dig into this case, but it has me absolutely hooked. I really hope you brilliant people on here will find out much more. As you have already found out there is very little info regarding this case on the net. I think his family are going to give the most info regarding Sean.

Fingers crossed here that you will find out more to help solve this case.

Jilly

http://www.missingpersons.gov.au/profile.aspx?Id=1218

Picture of Sean and some brief details of his disappearance - No mention of the Army links - which is hardly surprising, given the nature of military secrecy...

<snipped>

I'm just posting the details from the first link along with his picture for those who have dial-up:

SargentSean.jpg

Personal Details
  • Year of birth: 1975
  • Height: 179cm
  • Build: Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Brown
Circumstances

Sean visited friends at 1900hrs on 19/3/99 at Orchid Street, St Lucia Brisbane. He became intoxicated and at about 2300hrs he and three friends attended a party at Hawkins Drive, St Lucia. Sean had an altercation with a male person in front of the residence, a fight took place and Sean and friends returned to Orchid Street. At about 2345hrs Sean allegedly left Hawkins Drive and has not been seen since. His blue 1992 EB falcon sedan Qld reg. 746 ENN is also missing.

I don't understand why this kid would just leave and never contact his parents again? Did the cops ever interview the guy he had the fight with? :confused:

I don't understand why this kid would just leave and never contact his parents again? Did the cops ever interview the guy he had the fight with? :confused:

That's what I was wondering - did they interview the guy he had the altercation with? He should be considered a POI at least - not necessarily a suspect. Hopefully they interviewed the friends as well. People don't just vanish into thin air!

Hi all. I dont know how to contact his father, i have put all the info i know on here. Also i am not very good at finding people as you guys do. It always amazes me how you do it. [I tried looking up my sister on 192.com and couldnt find her lol]

As i said the fact Sean was involved in a fight was never mentioned in the programme, so i dont know if he has been questioned as a poi.

Also i would have thought Seans parents would be his next of kin, so im puzzled why the army wont say if Sean has been discharged or not.

This case is one of a few on here that has me so intrigued. I do hope someone can take it further

Jilly

"Sean Sargent

Height (cm):179
Hair Colour:Brown
Eye Colour:Blue
Build:Medium
Date of Disappearance:19/3/1999
Town/City:St Lucia, Brisbane
State:Qld
Features

Sightings

Information

Sean Sargent was last seen at a party in St. Lucia, Brisbane on March 19th, 1999. He was living in Ferny Hills in Brisbane, QLD at the time of his disappearance. Also missing is his blue Ford Falcon XB registration 746 ENN.

Police dragged the Brisbane river, but failed to find Sean or his car.

Tom Sargent believes his son, a former 1st Joint Support Lieutenant at Ennogera Army Base, is still alive.

"I think he`s still alive - he`s a resilient type of fellow," Mr Sargent said. "If something has happened to him, you would think police would find him or his car. He went to a friend’s party and at midnight he disappeared. He said he wouldn`t drive home, but sleep in his car."

If you have any information or sightings please contact
CrimeStoppers 1800 333 000"

Jilly and other Sleuths - I am in the UK and there's usually some more detailed internet information on that Missing programme which Jilly refers to - however, I looked yesterday and could find nothing - I've googled some other details today, and found the above segment from http://www.crimenet.org/show_missing.phtml?id=236&sid=5980509eaf98e08e1c53a945ecf1e33c

This at least gives us Sean's dad's name as Tom - I'm wondering whether any of our Australian colleagues here could check out any connections there, that might enable someone brave enough to contact the family, if that were felt appropriate...?

Hi there,

I read with interest the posts on this site after googling Sean. I periodically google and search Sean since his disappearance, still hopeful one day he will turn up.

I am his cousin from the UK, now living in Canada. I last saw Sean a couple of years prior to his disappearance and can just say what a great person he is and how close he was to his sister and family. I do know that when he went missing, for whatever reason, it devastated his family in Australia and the unknown is a horrid thing to come to terms with and get use to - i dont know if one ever does? It would be great if Sean returned to Uncle Tom and the rest of his family in oz so if you get any information at all which may help it would be amazing.

Brisbane soldier Sean Sargent disappeared in 1999 but family believe he is still alive

August 04, 2014

IT’S been 15 years since they saw him last, but Sean Sargent’s family have to believe he is still alive.

It’s the dozens of phone calls that make them wonder, the calls where somebody listens but doesn’t speak.

Or the army’s unwillingness to talk to them- the documents they sent but demanded back, the ones that said their son had had the highest level of security clearance.

Or the army’s explanation that Sean was trained to disappear. If he didn’t want to be found, nobody would ever find him, the Sargents were told.

Sean was 24 when he disappeared. Extremely smart and extremely conscientious, he’d never missed a day of work. He was a signals officer trained in covert surveillance.

This week is National Missing Persons Week.

ANYONE WITH INFORMATION SHOULD CONTACT CRIME STOPPERS ON 1800 333 000.

685390-79e6051a-1b75-11e4-8adb-938012f29f27.jpg

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...e-is-still-alive/story-fnihsrf2-1227012686390

This thread dates from 2009 and already the main links no longer work. :(

I came to this thread after watching saw an episode of Missing Persons Unit, featuring (among others) Sean Sargent.
Missing Persons Unit Season 2 Episode 8:
[video=youtube;e4-Gtj_NHGs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4-Gtj_NHGs[/video]

Keeping to the bare facts of this case, a young man, drunk, sleeping it off in his car near a river, I'd say he took a wrong turn and ended up in the water. Once his car is found, they will find him in it. (in the cabin, not in the boot)
The video, from 17.40 minutes on, has me a bit puzzled about the way Australians search in water.
A body will emit scent even decades after it has gone under water. Specially trained cadaver dogs are able to pick up this scent, they will jump into the water, and divers then go down and search that spot.
Example here: https://youtu.be/s1Y5kcMSs84

The voice-over says: In black water, the only way to search is by feel, centimeter by centimeter.
Will make a huge difference to everyone if a cadaver dog has shouted the alarm first!

IMHO if they scour the river again, with good dogs, downstream from the highest point where he may have gotten into the water, they stand a good chance of finding him.

As for him knowing how to disappear... He may well have known how to do that, but if he did, why would he mess up everything by placing homesick calls home? LE managed to trace all those calls, and SS must have been aware of that, given his training.

Go, Aussies! Get yourselves some good dogs. You can do this!

http://www.news.com.au/national/bre...e/news-story/618d5a90bbf22f661f5170cfb753397c

A pre-inquest conference on Tuesday heard how the army officer had apparently joked about suicide in an email to his girlfriend, but had talked to others about changing his identity...

The court also heard a woman claimed a school friend of Mr Sargent's had told her the pair went back to the army barracks on the night of his disappearance, although the friend denied that happened...

The court also heard it appeared some army personnel were at the party on the night of Mr Sargent's disappearance and may have been involved in the fight...

However, civilian police only took one witness statement and didn't refer the case to the coroner until August 2015.

Soldier who vanished 17 years ago may have led a double life after 'being spotted in a gay bar'
By Riley Morgan and Nelson Groom for Daily Mail Australia 20:08 +11:00 13 Dec 2016, updated 04:02 +11:00 14 Dec 2016

• Lieutenant Sean Sargent went missing one day after 24th birthday in 1999
    [*]Man has claimed he was having drinks with him days later at a Brisbane gay bar
    [*]Previous girlfriends of the lieutenant have also indicated he could have been gay
    [*]The judge at inquest into his death said he may have been leading a 'double life'
'A soldier who vanished more than 17 years ago could have been leading a 'double life' in an extraordinary case.'

'According to a court inquest, a man claimed he was having drinks at gay bar 12 days later with a man named 'Sean' who fitted Mr Sargent's description.

<modsnip>

This case makes you want to don a tinfoil hat.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back