OH - Jennifer Nelson, 29, murdered in her Dayton home, 2 Jan 2009

TGIRecovered

Reaction score
This one is strange. A 4 yr. old boy told strangers who found him that someone killed his mom, kidnapped him using Grandma's car, and dropped him at the truck stop.

Police found mom home, dead. Mom's car, which had been stolen two weeks before, was parked out front, apparently driven to the scene by the killer, who then fled with the child in the victim's mother's car.

Mother-in-law says her son, (victim's husband) worked three jobs so his wife could be home with the little boy. They have no idea who stole the wife's car, or why they would return the car, only to kill her before fleeing in a different car.

My opinion... the first stolen car was probably out of gas and was "hot". Fleeing in the other car gave the killer a safer getaway, since it had not yet been reported stolen. I don't think a stranger did this. A simple car theif would have quickly sold the first car for parts, or might have taken a joyride, then dumped it somewhere. What real theif would drive around for two weeks, then return the car? I'll bet there was no damage either.

Let's see, who might want the wife dead? Perhaps someone who also wanted the car back?...or someone who was told not to hurt the boy? Hmmm...now who might that be?

http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/oh/story/news/local/2009/01/03/ddn010309homicideweb.html

http://www.whiotv.com/news/18403594/detail.html?rss=day&psp=news

A four year old boy was alone in a rest area lobby in Ohio east bound 70. He told people that his mother was murdered. They found the body of the 29 year old mother shot in her home near Dayton, Ohio. The boy's father is not considered a suspect. They are on the look out for a car missing from the mother's home. ,,,,,,
"The car was a 2001 black, four-door Oldsmobile Alero with Ohio license plate number AJI-3VF.

Deputies said they were still trying to determine how the boy ended up at a rest stop in Madison County.

Names of the boy and his mother were not immediately released by investigators"

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2009/01/03/story_dayton.html?sid=102

OMG. How strange and horrible! I wonder how far away the rest stop is from their home? And how long that poor little boy was there before he was found?

The mother was shot multiple times. The boy said a "stranger" shot and robbed his mother. A white male was seen driving the car in question. The boy is with his father who they still say is not a suspect.

If the boy knows who shot mom, it seems he would say. This is a strange story. The killer did not want to kill the child. Could have been a friend of the mother's who the boy does not know. Or it could be a stalker rapist who finally got his victim but couldn't kill the boy.

.... I started a thread about this case but I am on a slow dialup with windows 98 since my laptop is on the blink, I didn't see your thread until after mine posted.

Could it be someone the woman met online? The guy stole two computers. Did he steal anything else?

If it was someone from the internet the child wouldn't know him. Perhaps the guy got mad if this woman told him to back off. He came and stole her car as an "I'll show you", and now he needs the computers so there's no evidence. Why steal a little child though? Kidnap the child and then leave him?

I just thought this may be the scenario as the grandmom was so specific how Jennifer quit her job to stay home with her son. The hubby worked two jobs. Maybe after tending to her son she was on the internet. I looked for a Myspace for this woman but didn't find one I'm sure is her. How very sad. Poor little boy. Somebody was mad. Almost like they're sending a message.

Why would someone kidnap the son? After robbing her and killing her, they kidnap the 4 year old boy? That doesn't make much sense. If he was to be held for ransom, then that points the finger to who the killer is. I'm sure LE at first thought it was something domestic related with the son being missing..
The only thing i can think of is that the killer kidnapped the boy to buy himself some time to make a better getaway. The killer didn't kill the boy; the boy knows his own address (probably knows enough to dial 911 too at the age of 4)..

After the murder, this guy kidnaps a four year old, drives 66 miles west to leave him at a rest area, then heads back east towards where he commited the crime and previously had stolen the car?

ETA: I had wrong info on where the family home was. The crime took place near Dayton, boy dropped off near Springfield, car stolen two weeks ago in Columbus.

What a horrible situation for a young child. This caught my eye...

Investigators said they are trying to determine if this was a stranger attack or something more domestic, and how did the child get all the way to Madison County.

Bolding by me. Interesting.

I live in dayton and this is the first time I had heard about this. How sad!

The couple who found this little boy were on TV this morning. They're from Baltimore. Thank goodness for these folks. They said the lil guy knew not only his number and addy, but where his dad worked and even his grammy's first name. The lady is a pre-K teacher who helped him.

Also the paternal grandmom was on and gave some information that was pertinent.

The original car that was stolen the keys had been left in it and Jennifer's husband's wallet. So whoever took the car got the wallet. The car was not stolen from in front of their home as I assumed. So the thief had all the information from the husband's wallet. The family DID change the locks after the theft.

The little boy told the couple who helped him that a stranger man came into the house without knocking. Maybe Jennifer answered the door and he forced his way in? So this could be someone totally foreign to this family. Prayers for everyone involved in this horrific crime.

Maybe the killer came back to rob the place with the keys he had, but the mom had the door unlocked and he just came in. Maybe mom yelled at him when he came in, that's how the boy knows he just walked in. Many people leave their house unlocked when they are home.
I saw on AMW there is a killer on the run in Ohio.
Home invasions are on the rise, we had 6 here in 3 weeks.

This is such a puzzling case. It just seems that the perp is so bold. They steal her car and bring it right back to where she lives and takes another car and leaves her dead? It is as if he is mocking someone. That he was also able to steal this woman's car but come back and murder her too. But why take the little boy away from there only to let him go?

I would think this is much more about domestic violence yet the little boy seems very smart and certainly would know if he knew the person that took him and killed his mother. Unless this perp helped out a friend that indeed did know the mother and boy very well.

Just an odd case. I sure hope they catch him.

imoo

I think it's probably someone desperate, maybe even living out of the cars and stealing to get by. He probably didn't want to kill anyone but after he killed the mother he left the boy somewhere so the boy could get help.

The couple who found the boy said this morning there was a maintenance man who ran the building where the little boy was found. Police are questioning him. Perhaps he'll recall seeing the car or the guy.

I wonder if they have videotape at those rest stops?

The boy, who will be 5 soon was playing with ninja action figures when the man broke in. The mother had the boy's clothes laid out as she was getting ready to give the boy a bath. The father was working at a nearby Krogers, one of his 3 jobs. The murder happened about 10pm.
The car stolen earlier had the house keys inside. I do that same thing and I am stopping that right now. This story is scary.
http://dispatch.com/live/content/lo...dead.ART_ART_01-04-09_B5_SECDT9N.html?sid=101

The boy, who will be 5 soon was playing with ninja action figures when the man broke in. The mother had the boy's clothes laid out as she was getting ready to give the boy a bath. The father was working at a nearby Krogers, one of his 3 jobs. The murder happened about 10pm.
The car stolen earlier had the house keys inside. I do that same thing and I am stopping that right now. This story is scary.
http://dispatch.com/live/content/lo...dead.ART_ART_01-04-09_B5_SECDT9N.html?sid=101

Thanks! At your link is a good map. Much better than the one I attempted to make last night:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/01/04/map.html

FWIW, the little boy was found at the rest stop at 9PM and his mother's body was discovered at 10PM.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back