AR AR - Melissa 'Missy' Witt, 19, murdered, Fort Smith, 1 Dec 1994

imamaze

Former Member
Reaction score
Moved from LTWH board to discussion board, case originally started by: ginzy
The unsolved murder of Melissa "Missy" Witt.

Quote:
Witt was abducted from the parking lot of Bowling World in Fort Smith on Dec. 1, 1994. She was supposed to meet her mom there, but never made it inside. Instead, her car keys were found in the parking lot with a small amount of blood on them.

A massive search effort was launched, and three days later, Witt's Mitsubishi Mirage was found abandoned in the bowling alley's parking lot.
In January of 1995, her body was discovered by a hunter in a wooded area of Turner Bend in Franklin County. More than 300 potential suspects have been interviewed, but no one has ever been arrested.

AMW is also doing a story on this and other AR cold cases. On Nov 8th. Please watch.

http://www.pressargus.com/articles/2...s02_092708.txt
http://www.kfsm.com/Global/story.asp?S=7603348

Ms. Witt chokes up when she talks about her daughter's disappearance and death. Her daughter was so loving, so kind -- just a good girl, Ms. Witt said.

When Missy was born, Ms. Witt used to wonder if she and her daughter would get along later on in life. She worried about the age gap -- Ms. Witt was nearly 40 when she had Missy, and Missy's dad, Johnnie Witt, was almost 54.

As Missy's relatives tell it, Missy was respectful to her parents. She wrote in her memory book that she wanted to make her parents proud.

She did that, her mother said, every day.

http://thecabin.net/stories/121399/sta_1213990012.html#.Vm7n8korJMw

So I have this clear , her body is found almost an hour north of where she was reportedly abducted?

Is that Correct?

That is correct. Her body was found in a remote location off of a logging road at Turner's Bend.

So I have this clear , her body is found almost an hour north of where she was reportedly abducted?

Is that Correct?

Witt was abducted from the parking lot of Bowling World in Fort Smith on Dec. 1, 1994. She was supposed to meet her mom there, but never made it inside. Instead, her car keys were found in the parking lot with a small amount of blood on them.

A massive search effort was launched, and three days later, Witt's Mitsubishi Mirage was found abandoned in the bowling alley's parking lot.

Wow! What kind of a crack investigating team pulled that off?

Anyway, too bad this case is still unsolved after 21 years. Doesn't sound like there's much hope but stranger things have happened. Ft. Smith is not that far (3 hours) south from where three females disappeared at Springfield Mo, two years previous.

Could I answer some questions about this case for you? I'm not sure I understand your position... why would you joke about the abduction and murder of a young woman? I am not trying to be hostile - just asking because I don't seem to understand the intent of your post.

Wow! What kind of a crack investigating team pulled that off?

Anyway, too bad this case is still unsolved after 21 years. Doesn't sound like there's much hope but stranger things have happened. Ft. Smith is not that far (3 hours) south from where three females disappeared at Springfield Mo, two years previous.

Could I answer some questions about this case for you? I'm not sure I understand your position... why would you joke about the abduction and murder of a young woman? I am not trying to be hostile - just asking because I don't seem to understand the intent of your post.

I didn't really consider it a joke but, if you think it is, then lobby the mods to kick me off of this site-I'll just go on my way.

I definitely don't want to lobby the moderators to have you removed. I now see that the part I read about a "joke" is in your signature line (This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking) and had nothing to do with your comment about the case. I am sorry about my misunderstanding.

I definitely don't want to lobby the moderators to have you removed. I now that the part I read about a "joke" is in your signature line and had nothing to do with your comment about the case. I am sorry about that.

No problem-Welcome to Websleuths.

Yes that is turners bend. We off road (4wd), camp and canoe in that area alot, it is very rough mountainous terrain. I would say that an hour is a good estimate for travel time from FS to turners bend, but I don't know exactly where she was found, and depending on the "logging road" it could add a significant amount of time.

Where did you see them say she was found off a "logging road"?, just curious I didnt see much on where she was recovered anywhere

Where did you see them say she was found off a "logging road"?, just curious I didnt see much on where she was recovered anywhere

I think the poster just basicly said he's familiar with the area. Evidently he believes it to be a logging road.

This is a horrible crime that this buetiful young lady certainly did not deserve. It would be very helpful to know what was going on in her life about a year up until this happened?

Also, I would like to know if there was any truck stops around the bowling ally area?

Looks like Police have openly spoke of two separate prime suspects in this case.

Larry Swearingen and Travis Crouch.

I think the poster just basicly said he's familiar with the area. Evidently he believes it to be a logging road.

This is a horrible crime that this buetiful young lady certainly did not deserve. It would be very helpful to know what was going on in her life about a year up until this happened?

Also, I would like to know if there was any truck stops around the bowling ally area?

Thanks for the clarification

I wonder if this guy was a logger. What if he was frustrated that he couldn't pick up a woman and that was what he came into town for? How big was the town that Missy was abducted from? Were there no surveillance cameras?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back