SUSPECT: Larry Swearingen - granted a stay of execution, Aug 2013

JaneInOz

Former Member
Reaction score
Oh my

Does anyone know about this case ?

He is due to be executed in just 21 days

He was convicted for the Murder of Melissa Trotter

But the thing is he was in Jail when she was murdered according to forensic experts and witnesses

How can he be executed ?

http://www.larry-swearingen.com/

Snipped

Death row prisoner Larry Swearingen is scheduled to be execution on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 6:00 p.m.

Larry Swearingen was sentenced to death in July 2000 for the 1998 abduction and slaying of Melissa Trotter, a 19-year-old college student. He was jailed on December 11, 1998, after being questioned by the police about the whereabouts of Melissa Trotter who was still ALIVE at this time, and has remained in constant custody until today which means he was literally in no position to commit this crime because he had already been in Montgomery County Jail when the victim was murdered.

FACTS:
- Larry was in jail when the victim was murdered
- the DNA (blood and hairs) was male, but excluded him as the donor
- the victim got life threatening phone which weren't made by Larry
- the police suppressed evidence
- the state withheld evidence to the jury plus sponsored false testimony...

:eek:

According to this link - http://www.courttv.com/facing_death/larry_swearingen/crime_ctv.html - he was the last person known to be with her, and was NOT in jail when she died, but when her body was found. HE claims that she was alive, due to insect activity, but there is no scientific confirmation of this.

His history would suggest that he could have killed her, and most likely did.

wow, he has only been on death row about 9 years?? Awsome!! Its good to know they are frying the killer up fast!!

The "facts" on the larry.swearingen site are not facts. You can be pretty sure that if a site is named after the perp, the information will need to be verified, and in almost every case, you'll find that it is quite misleading, if not downright false.

I don't have an iota of sympathy for this rapist/murderer. He got a fair trial.

Here's some info from the Texas Attorney General's site (http://www.oag.state.tx.us/oagNews/release.php?id=1901)

Fiber evidence showed that Trotter had been in Swearingen’s trailer, on the floor and perhaps the bed, and in the cab of his pickup truck. And evidence in the truck cab showed that some of her hair had been pulled forcibly from her head. Although neither Swearingen nor his wife smoked, a pack of cigarettes, Trotter’s brand, was found in Swearingen’s trailer. A piece of hosiery, the companion to that piece used to strangle Trotter, was found in a trash heap beside Swearingen’s trailer. Hair evidence linked the hosiery to Swearingen’s wife. Cell phone records showed that on the day that Trotter disappeared, Swearingen traveled from his trailer to the area where the body was found. After Trotter disappeared, Swearing told friends that he was in trouble and that the police would be after him.

Also
In the punishment phase of his trial, evidence was introduced that Swearingen had committed two unadjudicated rapes, one unadjudicated assault on his ex-wife, and that while awaiting trial, he had tried to escape.

The "facts" on the larry.swearingen site are not facts. You can be pretty sure that if a site is named after the perp, the information will need to be verified, and in almost every case, you'll find that it is quite misleading, if not downright false.

I don't have an iota of sympathy for this rapist/murderer. He got a fair trial.

Oh...

Ok..

So are those *facts* not true then ?

Jane,

I think those "facts" could be true....except for the one saying she was killed on the 20th, that is "ify". I am inclined to have doubt about that type of forensic work.

But, you have to consider the other "facts" in this case.

The evidence quoted by JaxFlaGal in post #6 are very damning, IMO.

Lay them all out there, put them in the scale and see where they balance....

It's possible that the link that was provided by the OP is one that was created by one of the many anti-DP groups. Which would explain the slant of the website proclaiming this inmate's innocence.

It is my understanding that this inmate, so close to his date of execution would have most certainly exhausted all of the numerous appeals that are afforded to such criminals.

This is a last ditch effort to persuade the public at large that this inmate is innocent, regardless of the multitude of evidence that a jury of his peers evaluated and found him guilty to which he was sentenced to death.

I have to say that I am a supporter of the DP. However, I do not support it in every case in which it is determined to be the appropriate sentence.

In this particular case, the evidence speaks for itself, the jury has spoken and I agree that this man deserves the DP. Godspeed to him.

very confusing sentence. I guess it means he was in jail for 2 week and that included they day she died?????

Larry Ray Swearingen was sentenced to death on July 11, 2000 for the 1998 kidnapping, sexual assault and murder of Melissa Trotter, a 19-year-old college student from Montgomery County, Texas. DNA testing excluded Swearingen as the perpetrator, and forensic science conclusively proves Swearingen was in the county jail for outstanding traffic warrants for at least two weeks before the victim died. There are no co-defendants.

BBM

http://www.larry-swearingen.com/

She disappeared December 8th. Decomposition is consistent with her death being December 8th. Swearingen was arrested December 11th.

Brandi Grissom wrote an article on the case. "Since his conviction, though, at least 10 different reports from more than a half-dozen scientists have concluded that Ms. Trotter’s body tells a different story. Their examinations of her internal organs show that she was killed while Mr. Swearingen was behind bars."

Brandi Grissom wrote on this case. The DNA on the cigarettes was not Trotter's, and the DNA under her fingernails was not Swearingen's. "Since his conviction, though, at least 10 different reports from more than a half-dozen scientists have concluded that Trotter’s body tells a different story. Their examinations of her internal organs show that she was killed while Swearingen was behind bars."

Jordan Smith wrote, "After reviewing the basic pathology work done by Carter, Tarrant County's White and North Carolina pathologist G.M. Larkin concluded that Carter's autopsy results were actually inconsistent with Trotter having been dead for more than about 10 days before she was found – more than two weeks after Swearingen was arrested....Microscopic examinations of body tissues done in 2009 and then again in June this year show that she was likely dead just two or three days before her body was found." Swearingen was his own worst enemy, and he deserved to be a suspect. Yet I can't get my mind around the problems surrounding the date of death. One has to wonder if there were other suspects that were simply missed due to tunnel vision. Someone should run the fingernail profile through a database.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back