OR OR - Troy Carney, 44, Central Point, 4 Sept 2008

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dreamweaver:

Troy Dean Carney, age 44, found dead in his sleeping bag Sept. 4, 2008, near the Pilot Truck Stop, Central Point, Or.
He worked as a 'lumper', helping truck drivers with their loads.
He stopped in the Willamette Valley area.
He traveleled to Medford, Or area to stay with friends. That did not work out.
He set up a campsite near 3 other campsites, very near the Pilot Truck stop.
He was last seen on video camera Sept. 1, 2008, leaving the truck stop.
He was found Sept. 4, 2008, wearing the same clothing, in his sleeping bag, murdered.
Link to newspaper articles: http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs...WS07/809060324
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs...NEWS/809060305
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs...NEWS/810250312

His mother posted on the Medford Mail Tribune newspaper forum, asking for help.
copied:
Medford, Or. Florida Mom (lovebuggs)My Comments
Total posts: 16

On Nov 19, 2008 at 07:54 PM, Florida Mom (lovebuggs) said:
My son Troy Dean Carney, 44, was found dead in his sleeping bag on Sept.4, hidden in the brush between the Central Point freeway interchange and Table Rock Road. Investigators want to talk to whoever stayed there to find out if they had seen my son or anyone with him in the days or hours before he was killed. We are asking the public for any information you can give us on who might have seen my son on that afternoon and evening (Labor Day) He was wearing camouflage cargo shorts and a dark T-Shirt, the same clothes he was found dead in. Troy had pierced earings and tattoo's on his arms and legs and his head was shaved. A new e-mail address has been set up. If you have any information, Please e-mail me at findjustice4troy@yahoo.com or call your Dept tipline 774-8333. Thank You... Troy's Mom
-----------------------------------------------------------------
tip line is Jackson County Sheriff, 541 774 8333, Medford, Or.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamweaver
Troy Dean Carney, age 44, found dead in his sleeping bag Sept. 4, 2008, near the Pilot Truck Stop, Central Point, Or.
He worked as a 'lumper', helping truck drivers with their loads.
He stopped in the Willamette Valley area.
He traveleled to Medford, Or area to stay with friends. That did not work out.
He set up a campsite near 3 other campsites, very near the Pilot Truck stop.
He was last seen on video camera Sept. 1, 2008, leaving the truck stop.
He was found Sept. 4, 2008, wearing the same clothing, in his sleeping bag, murdered.
Link to newspaper articles: http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs...WS07/809060324
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs...NEWS/809060305
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs...NEWS/810250312

His mother posted on the Medford Mail Tribune newspaper forum, asking for help.
copied:
Medford, Or. Florida Mom (lovebuggs)My Comments
Total posts: 16

On Nov 19, 2008 at 07:54 PM, Florida Mom (lovebuggs) said:
My son Troy Dean Carney, 44, was found dead in his sleeping bag on Sept.4, hidden in the brush between the Central Point freeway interchange and Table Rock Road. Investigators want to talk to whoever stayed there to find out if they had seen my son or anyone with him in the days or hours before he was killed. We are asking the public for any information you can give us on who might have seen my son on that afternoon and evening (Labor Day) He was wearing camouflage cargo shorts and a dark T-Shirt, the same clothes he was found dead in. Troy had pierced earings and tattoo's on his arms and legs and his head was shaved. A new e-mail address has been set up. If you have any information, Please e-mail me at findjustice4troy@yahoo.com or call your Dept tipline 774-8333. Thank You... Troy's Mom
-----------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------
tip line is Jackson County Sheriff, 541 774 8333, Medford, Or.

-

--http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081221/NEWS/812210332

Investigators haven't turned up a motive or suspect in the death of Troy Dean Carney, 44, who was also found dead Sept. 4. Carney's body was found in a sleeping bag off a path that leads away from the Bear Creek Greenway between the Central Point freeway interchange and Table Rock Road. He had been shot at close range a few days earlier, most likely on Sept. 1, by someone he was comfortable around, Fogarty said.

Unlike Lewis, who had deep, sprawling roots in the community, Carney was something of a loner, although he was remembered as friendly, investigators said.

Carney had lived in the Rogue Valley a decade ago and had recently returned. In the interim he had worked as a "lumper," loading and unloading trucks and riding along with drivers.

This summer, he had made his way from Idaho to Portland to Medford, where he stayed with a friend for a while. He didn't want to cause tension in the friend's home, so he set up camp near the Pilot truck stop in hopes of finding work again.

Fogarty described Carney's transient lifestyle as high risk, but said he wasn't part of "the regular Greenway population." Many of the homeless people who live along the trail know one another and look out for each other, Fogarty said.

Carney didn't appear to have clashed with others camped in the area and hadn't been robbed, investigators said. They have talked with people who were camped nearby, combed the area for evidence with metal detectors and divers in Bear Creek, and even pursued contacts in Carney's cell phone.

"We're still tracking things we wouldn't normally check just because we can," Fogarty said of searching through Carney's cell phone records.

Can we say thread hog??

"Please help Troy & David" posted in General Topics

Two murders in Jackson County on the same day, Dave & Troy discovered. Young men, in their 40s. It is sad what has become of the Valley. These murderers walk free. How did this happen to Central Point and Ashland ??

http://forums.mailtribune.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=userposts&webtag=mm-general&userId=1876930572

"Please help Troy & David" posted in General Topics

www.myspace.com/justice4troy findjustice4troy@yahoo.com www.myspace.com/davelewismurderarsonor fishhookdavelewis@yahoo.com

I believe we will get justice for my son Troy Dean Carney

I believe we will get justice for my son Troy Dean Carney

Linda, welcome to WS. I am so sorry for us to be meeting under such circumstances. I can't comprehend what you must be going through. In searching for information on your son I was very impressed with the amount of exposure you have provided about his case on the net. Your persistence to update old threads even with no responses is commendable, IMO, FWIW. Don't give up! I always say someone, somewhere, knows something.

If there is anything you think we may be able to do to help, please do not hesitate.

I'm tearing up reading this.

Linda, I hope your family finds the answers they need.

We are hoping so much someone comes forward.. My son was shot in the head while in his sleeping bag on the evening of Sept 1, 2008. Somebody knows who killed my son. Other people were camped near him. More then one person heard the shot that night. The shot that echoed through the night. Theroy is, someone attempted to rob him. Shot him, got spooked and ran.. The shot that killed my son, Troy Dean Carney 44.
Troy is from Maine.. He worked loading and unloading Truck's. Made his way from Idaho Fall, spent 4 day's at the TIA Truck stop in Troutsdale Oregon. Near Portland. Then went down to Medford Oregon to visit a long time friend. Troy was in town only 3 weeks. He was a good and, very friendly guy. He called me and his 88 year old grandmother often...Please visit. Why would someone murder my son? Was it for few dollars??
www.myspace.com/justice4troy to view photo's.. and e-mail findjustice4troy@yahoo.com... Thanks, Troy Mom.. Linda

I don't know if this is helpful but it reminds me of this case:

http://crime.about.com/od/unsolved/a/allen_cutshall.htm

Campers murdered in a tent without any clear motive, indication of another camp found nearby, but 400 miles away down the west coast.

Joseph Henry Burgess makes a compelling suspect in that case, assuming he was still alive in 2004. If it is him however, I don't see why he would have attacked Carney who doesn't seem to fit his victim profile. Were the other people camping near Carney's site ever identified?

Hi, I'm Troy Carney's Mom. I can't think of any reason why anyone would want to kill my son. He was camped out near the Pilot Truck stop near Central Point Oregon for just a few day's while waiting to get more work on another Truck. He worked his way around the country, loading and unloading Tractor Trailers. Police believe who ever murdered my son, Troy knew him for a very short time. Maybe 3 or 4 day's. Troy liked him so he was confortable being around him. Troy was a very friendly, trusting guy. Who ever did this, Troy considered him a friend. Troy was supposed to leave town that next morning...Hoping they find who killed him before he kills again..

I wanted everyone to know, a $5000.00 reward has been offered by the
Corole Sund/Carrington Foundation for the arrest and conviction of the murder of my son Troy Dean Carney. Troy was found murdered in his sleeping bag on Sept 4, 2008 in Central point Oregon..
If anyone has information, please call the Jackson County Sheriff's Dept 541-774-6800.
If anyone would like to donate to the Carole Sund/Carrington Foundation reward fund, please call 1-888-813-8389... Thank you.. Troy's Mom.. Linda

Link sought in unsolved murders

Police believe the murders of an Ashland man living on Dead Indian Road and a transient camping out along the Bear Creek Greenway last September might be linked.

A little over a year has passed since David E. Lewis, 46, was found inside his burnt home in the 12800 block of Dead Indian Memorial Road and Troy Dean Carney, 44, was discovered at his campsite, the victim of a gunshot wound.

Nine days after Carney was found a fire swept though the area where he had been camping. Investigators determined the fire was intentionally set by someone trying to destroy the scene of the crime.

"We find two men killed by homicidal violence on the same day and both scenes were covered by fire," Jackson County Sheriff's Detective Sgt. Colin Fagan said. "We cannot ignore the commonality here."

In addition, sheriff's investigators believe they have discovered a piece of evidence linking both crimes, but they decline to specify what it is.

Investigators suspect someone ventured up the long driveway to his secluded mountaintop cabin, then had come inside and killed him. Detectives aren't disclosing how Lewis died. They also note that the total destruction of the cabin has eliminated much evidence.

Investigators haven't turned up a motive or suspect in the death of Carney, who was also found dead Sept. 4. Carney's body was found in a sleeping bag off a path that leads away from the Bear Creek Greenway between the Central Point freeway interchange and Table Rock Road. He had been shot at close range a few days earlier.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090923/NEWS/909230327

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back